Escaped Gorilla Killed After Hurting 3 at Zoo - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Police yesterday shot and killed a gorilla that escaped from its enclosure at the Dallas Zoo and injured three people.

One adult and two children, ages 10 and 2, suffered minor injuries from the gorilla and were taken to area hospitals, Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia said. He said the three were bitten and scratched.

The zoo was evacuated after the animal escaped and police were notified. When the gorilla charged two officers, getting within 15 feet of them, they opened fire, Garcia said.

"We were forced to put this animal down," he said.

Full story...

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index....2746291630.xml

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
One adult and two children, ages 10 and 2, suffered minor injuries from the gorilla and were taken to area hospitals, Deputy Police Chief Daniel Garcia said. He said the three were bitten and scratched.

If the gorilla bit someone, was he then no longer a vegetarian?
#3 Old 03-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Administrator

He's a flexitarian.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

He's a flexitarian.

I started to say that, but thought somebody might have kittens if I did.

Not sure why that stopped me though...
#5 Old 03-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so pissed this even happened. And, of course, the impression people get is that the zoo is unsafe for people... when they should be learning that the zoo is unsafe (and unfit) for animals.
#6 Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

He's a flexitarian.

!
#7 Old 03-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

It really made me mad when I read this story.

What do people expect? Wild Animals belong in the Wild not in Captivity.

Kids were taunting this Gorilla. He was prob fed up with people staring and pointing to him all the time.

The only consulation I can give myself is now he is at peace, he does not live in the confinement of a zoo anymore.
#8 Old 03-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

The gorilla's name was Jabari He was born at the Toronto zoo. I've actually been following this gorilla's story for a couple of years, just out of interest.

This is really a sad end
#9 Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 AM

My wife had just left there a couple of hours earlier. She had taken her kindergarten class there for a field trip. Needless to say, when I heard the news I made sure to call her and verify that she had already left
#10 Old 03-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

The gorilla's name was Jabari. ... This is really a sad end

Despite making the joke earlier in this thread, I agree that it is a sad end. Thanks also for giving us the gorilla's name, which was strangely absent from the news account.

I guess one question that came to mind was whether zoos have plans for dealing with escaped animals. The story mentioned a gorilla at the Boston Zoo named Little Joe (no relation) that escaped and was shot with tranquillizer darts and recaptured. Now, if they could do that in Boston, why couldn't they do that in Dallas?
#11 Old 03-20-2004, 02:37 PM

my understanding was that it was attempted with no avail. The ape charged the police and with that I feel (and they did too, I guess) that they were left without options
#12 Old 03-20-2004, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/8235861.htm police shot him because a tranq gun wasn't avalible. It seems like the dallas zoo wasn't prepared to deal with a situation like this. it is preatty sad.
#13 Old 03-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Biting? That must have been nibbling at most.
#14 Old 03-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/state/8235861.htm police shot him because a tranq gun wasn't avalible. It seems like the dallas zoo wasn't prepared to deal with a situation like this. it is preatty sad.

Thanks very much for this URL.

The story is very strange, in many respects. It talks about needing to shoot the animal "before a tranquilizer gun could be obtained." That sounds very ambiguous. Did the zoo have such a gun on hand? Or were they going to have to get it from someplace else--like another zoo or vets office or someother place off-site?

It also says the cops shot the gorilla with rifles. This suggests to me much more willingness to be prepared in advance to shoot the animal than if they had used handguns.

And while the zoo director says the zoo did nothing wrong, still "Because of the circumstances surrounding Jabari's death, Buickerood said it will be nearly impossible to replace him." That doesn't quite add up. If other zoos will not sell gorillas to the Dallas zoo after the incident, that tells me that something is wrong.
#15 Old 03-21-2004, 05:50 AM
Beginner

<Irritated> Of course it will be impossible to replace him. They shot him. One gorilla does not = any other gorilla.
#16 Old 03-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

Biting? That must have been nibbling at most.

Nibbling? He bit a 3 year-old child's chest and punctured his lung. That doesn't sound much like nibbling.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#17 Old 03-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Nibbling? He bit a 3 year-old child's chest and punctured his lung. That doesn't sound much like nibbling.

Where does this come from? The original post says all three persons suffered minor injuries.
#18 Old 03-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

Where does this come from? The original post says all three persons suffered minor injuries.

The Today Show interview with the toddler's mother and father as well as other articles easily found on the net.

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=1722824

Quote:
Rivers Noah suffered a series of horrific bites and a collapsed lung in the frenzied attack

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004131188,00.html

As of March 20, Rivers Heard was still in the hospital in fair condition after being "nibbled".

#19 Old 03-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keehar View Post

<Irritated> Of course it will be impossible to replace him. They shot him. One gorilla does not = any other gorilla.

I don't think that that is what the zoo director meant. I think he meant that no other zoo would now sell or give the Dallas zoo a Western Lowlands gorilla.
#20 Old 03-22-2004, 04:24 AM
Beginner

Oh, I know he meant getting another gorilla, I just don't like the implication that if one animal dies that it can simply be replaced with another, problem solved. An animal is a unique being, just as a human is.
#21 Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I feel bad for the kid but it still doesn't make this incident the gorilla's fault. At least he's better off now than locked in a damn zoo.

And no tranquilizer gun at the zoo?!? Can these idiots possibly get fined for this, because they should be, at the least.

Edit: By "idiots" I mean zoo officials, not the police.
#22 Old 03-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

And no tranquilizer gun at the zoo?!? Can these idiots possibly get fined for this, because they should be, at the least.

Another newspaper report said that there was a tranquillizer gun, but whomever was using it could not get a clear shot. Therefore the police had to be called in.

Unclear which account is accurate.
#23 Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I feel bad for the kid but it still doesn't make this incident the gorilla's fault. At least he's better off now than locked in a damn zoo.

Edit: By "idiots" I mean zoo officials, not the police.

I didn't say that it was the gorillas fault. I believe it is the fault of people who take magnificent wild animals and keep them in tiny habitats as spectacle.

However, I thought it was worth mentioning that the gorilla did more than simply "nibble" on someone. The attack was extremely physically and emotionally traumatic for at least one of the victims.

I don't condone the zoo's lack of preparedness and contingency plans for such an event. I am sorry the animal was killed.

But in all fairness to the victims of the attack, who by all accounts were not the teenaged patrons who taunted the gorilla and were, in fact, innocent bystanders - I thought it was worth being honest about the attack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page