Most honey in the US isn't actually honey - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/11/09/...ame/?hpt=hp_c3

Maybe this might inspire those here who still consume honey to cut it out of their diets

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

deleted

#3 Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not even vegan, but I don't think I've ever actually bought a jar of honey. But I do consume things with honey as an ingredient.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Banned

I don't like eating honey much after stopping my veganism just because it's a simple animal ingredient to cut down on as a vegetarian, it's not really something one gets addicted to or craves as much as something like cheese. And it grosses me out now that honey is bee vomit. I see honey buns, which I used to love and think, "ew! Bee vomit rolls!". The only thing with honey that I've eaten as a vegetarian is a small bowl of honey nut Cheerios.
#5 Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Honey has always made me feel like I swallowed a bowling ball and it is lodged in my throat. I did not know that there was actual pollen in it. I am very allergic to pollen, so it makes sense now.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmm, bee vomit. I don't use that much of it, but I do like it. Also we have a local producer and that is all I ever buy from.
#7 Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

So - is it vegan?
#8 Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

The only honey I'll ever eat is local, and I eat that sparingly. (As in, I bought a big 24oz bottle of it a year ago and I still have half of it left.)

Me too. I bought a jar last year before Halloween, about a cup total, and I still have about 1/4 c left. I bought another because I heard it might help build an immunity to allergens in the air, but haven't even opened that. I use honey so rarely (usually just for dipping Quorn nuggets) that it wouldn't bother me too much if the honey was just corn syrup colored yellow/gold
#9 Old 11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Mmmmm, bee vomit. I don't use that much of it, but I do like it. Also we have a local producer and that is all I ever buy from.

I told my bf where honey came from and he refused to believe it He said it was nasty, but eats burgers. I would rather eat bee vomit than the bloody flesh of an animal. Both are gross though.
#10 Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always preferred maple syrup to honey as a sticky sweetener. I don't avoid things with honey in them (though it's rarely ever the case anyway) but I don't buy it because it's too damn expensive anyway.
#11 Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

A friend once gave me a large jar of honey from a local farm. It had honeycombs in it. I had no idea how to separate the actual honey from the honeycombs. I tried to take one of the honeycombs out and drain the honey out of it, but because the honey was so thick, it really did not separate.

So I ended up giving the unused portion in the jar back to my friend.

This may sound dumb, but they honey was just useless to me.

Since then I have picked up "acceptable" substitutes for honey, like agave nectar.
#12 Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

Off topic a bit but I've always wanted one of the Winnie the Pooh bottles of honey that are sold in Critter Country at Disneyland, at Pooh Corner. It's like the traditional bear bottle of honey, except it's Winnie the Pooh instead, with the same features and red shirt.
#13 Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

So - is it vegan?

Where's Jemdude when you need him?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#14 Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I've always preferred maple syrup to honey as a sticky sweetener. I don't avoid things with honey in them (though it's rarely ever the case anyway) but I don't buy it because it's too damn expensive anyway.

When I bake, I use maple syrup sometimes, no honey. Love it. A lot of Isa and Terry's recipes call for maple. Maple is about equally as expensive as honey, if not more. I buy the giant bottle of Maple at TJ and local honey is about $5 for about 12 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Off topic a bit but I've always wanted one of the Winnie the Pooh bottles of honey that are sold in Critter Country at Disneyland, at Pooh Corner. It's like the traditional bear bottle of honey, except it's Winnie the Pooh instead, with the same features and red shirt.

I've seen those. We need to go to Disneyland someday together, we would have too much fun
#15 Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

So - is it vegan?

Ha ha- thats a GREAT question! If it really doesn't contain pollen, does that make it no longer an animal product? I bet the product still somewhat comes from bees, but they add crap to it.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#16 Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Ankle Biter

Geeze. I've seen articles online and in magazines espousing honey as a way to alleviate nasal allergies because it is supposed to contain trace amounts of pollen. I'm sure a lot of people buy and use the stuff thinking it's somewhat medicinal when the only good ingredient is being removed. Ugh.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#17 Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Geeze. I've seen articles online and in magazines espousing honey as a way to alleviate nasal allergies because it is supposed to contain trace amounts of pollen. I'm sure a lot of people buy and use the stuff thinking it's somewhat medicinal when the only good ingredient is being removed. Ugh.

It seems like all articles say local honey is the way to go for the allergen immunity to work.
#18 Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

deleted

#19 Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

unless you buy local honey from a beekeeper like my dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

A friend once gave me a large jar of honey from a local farm. It had honeycombs in it. I had no idea how to separate the actual honey from the honeycombs. I tried to take one of the honeycombs out and drain the honey out of it, but because the honey was so thick, it really did not separate.

Since then I have picked up "acceptable" substitutes for honey, like agave nectar.

you use your knife and spread it on toast or on ice cream as is, with the honeycomb intact....also makes like a good chewing gum with the honey squishing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

There's no real proof that the honey-allergen thing even works.

I used to eat quite a bit of honey. I made my own plain yogurt (from local milk) and ate it with local honey. (I ate about a tablespoon of honey on 3/4 cup of plain yogurt every day at breakfast.) It was delicious, but my ongoing sinus issues pretty much indicate that consuming local pollen, in the honey, does not improve allergy immunity.

Anyway, when I reduced my dairy consumption I stopped making yogurt, and stopped eating so much honey. I should use up what I have left in tea.

there are tons of benefits by using honey, from allergy relief, (but you have to use local honey, made from the plants in your general area), it's great medicinally for healing wounds, is an antibacterial, antiviral, etc. Also works to boost the immune system, etc.

I don't even use it because I call myself vegan, but frankly, I think it's dumb. If you buy from a reputable beekeeper who doesn't let his hives die out, and is as responsible as all get out, I don't think it should be a big deal......AND, if I had used it this week, I bet the pain from my tooth extraction would have been much less....but I didn't.

and BTW, we'll be lucky if there are any bees left in the near future.....this was the first yr in my dad's 36 yrs of beekeeping, that he hasn't been able to harvest honey. The bees are too weak, and didnt' have enough surplus,and hopefully will have enough for the winter. He may have to supplement them during the winter. last winter into spring, he lost 5 out of 6 colonies. Colony colapse disorder is a very real problem. My guess from the GMO crops

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#20 Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Jess, some people consider it stealing from or exploiting the bees. Fortunately, I don't like honey so it's a hair I don't need to split for my own sake.
#21 Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

no, I understand that, and that's why I don't use it.....I'm not going to be one of "those" honey using vegans....in my mind, I just don't agree with it, but follow the rule anyway.

HOney, vs animal based foods/meat, actually has solid medicinal qualities to it.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#22 Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

deleted
#23 Old 11-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

sorry to hear. Usually, the local pollens decrease the body's immune response to it.

#24 Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I use raw organic which is solid, but i don't even eat it i use it to wash my face lol.
#25 Old 11-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I don't even use it because I call myself vegan, but frankly, I think it's dumb. If you buy from a reputable beekeeper who doesn't let his hives die out, and is as responsible as all get out, I don't think it should be a big deal......

I pretty much agree, but yes it's obviously not vegan to use honey.

Quote:
and BTW, we'll be lucky if there are any bees left in the near future.....this was the first yr in my dad's 36 yrs of beekeeping, that he hasn't been able to harvest honey. The bees are too weak, and didnt' have enough surplus,and hopefully will have enough for the winter. He may have to supplement them during the winter. last winter into spring, he lost 5 out of 6 colonies. Colony colapse disorder is a very real problem. My guess from the GMO crops

That's awful.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#26 Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I am not vegan anymore.....but I prefer to use Agave Nectar....I once ate honey out of a honey comb and my throat swelled up something fierce so never again....I do eat cereals and granola with it though but sparingly due to my allergies.

Think, Live and Breathe Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#27 Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

unless you buy local honey from a beekeeper like my dad!

you use your knife and spread it on toast or on ice cream as is, with the honeycomb intact....also makes like a good chewing gum with the honey squishing out

Thank you, Photojess. I really appreciate the information, and consider it especially authoritative, coming from the daughter of a beekeeper.

I dunno. It just never occurred to me to eat/consume the honeycomb with the honey in it. I guess it just looked like something I did not want to try to eat/consume. For some reason it reminded me of tree bark in appearance. Maybe I'll try it again someday.

Dumb question: if a local beekeeper wanted to market jars of honey without the honeycombs, how would he/she separate out the honey? Just curious. I'd like to have some idea of how it is done.
#28 Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Beginner

Honey is one of the few non-vegan things I still consume (I consider myself a strict vegetarian). I have always been a fan of using honey as a sweetener (especially in my tea) over processed sugar or the man made sugar substitute crap. Since becoming veg*n I now only purchase local made honey, for both health and environmental issues. I remember loving the honey with the comb in it when I was a kid. I would chew on it like gum or those liquid filled wax candies they used to have back in the day. Now i'm hoping the local honey will help with my seasonal allergies as well so that I can get off the allergy meds that have really messed up my system. But, for right now it's either that or be down with chronic sinus infections half of the time.
#29 Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Thank you, Photojess. I really appreciate the information, and consider it especially authoritative, coming from the daughter of a beekeeper.

I dunno. It just never occurred to me to eat/consume the honeycomb with the honey in it. I guess it just looked like something I did not want to try to eat/consume. For some reason it reminded me of tree bark in appearance. Maybe I'll try it again someday.

Dumb question: if a local beekeeper wanted to market jars of honey without the honeycombs, how would he/she separate out the honey? Just curious. I'd like to have some idea of how it is done.

I'm curious of that as well. I never even thought about it until you asked...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page