Vegetarianism outlawed in French schools! Please sign petition to help French veg*ans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Beginner

All those who believe in freedom of thought and in the freedom of expression and observance of all personal convictions should sign this petition, whatever their personal stance may be concerning vegetarianism and animal rights.

A governmental order published on October 2, 2011 has outlawed vegetarianism in all French schools, whether public or private. All meals served in school canteens must contain animal products generally, and meat and fish at a certain minimum frequency.

For many children, eating at home is not possible, and bringing their own lunch to school is disallowed. This means that six million schoolchildren are now forced to eat meat, whether they like it or not.
Following a law voted last year by the French Parliament, similar decrees will be taken shortly regarding almost all forms of catering from kindergarten to hospital, prisons and retirement homes. Vegetarianism will then have effectively been banned for a large part of the population.

These measures ostensibly aim at improving the quality of the meals served in schools. The French public health authorities hold, in opposition to the findings of most medical authorities in the world, that a balanced diet is impossible without animal products.

No practical considerations warrant a blanket prohibition of vegetarianism even in those canteens where the management would be willing to offer vegetarian or vegan alternatives. These decrees are thus an arbitrary violation of the rights of the vegetarian citizens in France.

The public debate regarding animal rights and the moral status of animals is active in France as it is in many other countries. People are free to choose where they stand on these issues, and those who believe that they cannot, in conscience, continue to eat animals must not be discriminated against. The French agriculture minister, Bruno Lemaire, declared in January 2010 that the government's aim in determining its public nutritional policy was to defend the French agricultural model and specifically to counter initiatives such as those of Paul McCartney calling for a reduced consumption of meat. However, a government cannot settle a philosophical, ethical and political debate by restricting the rights of those who disagree with its own positions.

Below is the link to the petition against this outrageous stance against human rights.

http://petition.icdv.info/en

More info: http://www.icdv.info/index.php?post/...gal-obligation

不死鳥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

signed

#3 Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

And they want to extend that to places like hospitals, retirement homes, etc...

You can read about it and sign the petition against it here http://petition.icdv.info/en/accueil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Beginner

Thanks!

不死鳥
#5 Old 10-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Banned

Petition signed ..

Plans for a military coup followed by an invasion of France underway ..
#6 Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Signed.

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely ridiculous. Signed.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#8 Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Jeez and i thought the US had some stupid crap going on.
#9 Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard about this a couple of days a go and I thought it would be huge news in veggieworld but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem to have registered much.
France seems to be heading into a dangerous undemocratic political climate and I wouldn't want to live there.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#10 Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Beginner

France is not heading into such a state; it's already there.
I'm glad I left.

不死鳥
#11 Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Signed and I really hope I don't have to get back to France anytime soon
#12 Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow this is insane! Is this for real??

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#13 Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Beginner

Hi Jezebel!
Yes, things aren't getting any better there!

Ils ont même relevés les niveaux d'épendage de lisier en Bretagne, du coup, il y aura davantage d'algues vertes. Après les scandales qu'il y a eu cette année, c'est quand même balèze !
Le gvt est désespérant...

不死鳥
#14 Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Unfortunately, this is for real.
Of course, it doesn't say explicitely that vegetarian dishes are forbidden, just that protein must be provided everyday only through animal products.
There's a district in Paris (2nd arrondissement) in which public elementary schools serve a vegetarian meal once a week; they won't be able to do that anymore.

Somehow it's a good sign, this is a reaction to growing concerns about the way we eat, and meat/dairy/egg producers lobbied hard to defend themselves (farmers are a major lobby in France). We start to represent "a threat". Which is good (Yeah! stay positive \\o/ )

Nutritionist in France still have a hard time to recognize people can be veg*n AND healthy, even pregnant women and babies. Vegetarians are crazy and full of deficiencies, and vegan are part of a sect. That's the general opinion in France. Yeap, that's France, the most progressive country in the world! (after all the other ones )

不死鳥
#15 Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Fushichô

No worries, F. Hollande is going to save us...

Heard about the agc spreading too and couldn't believe it, what are they playing at? This country sucks more and more.

(just found this, btw, thought it would interest you (sorry, it's in French) http://oclibertaire.free.fr/spip.php?article840 )
#16 Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Hollande. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That's a funny joke!

Had a quick look at the link, I'll read it later, but from what I've read, it's going to piss me off. Anarchists readily denounce domination between humans, but when it comes to the domination they exert on other beings, they react the same and deny it, saying that it's the natural order of things...
Anyway...

不死鳥
#17 Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

I think the only ones who see France as a progressive country any more are those who think banning Burkas is a step in the right direction. offthahook hit the nail on the head.

This is really sad and I hope it will be reversed but sadly I doubt it.
#18 Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Beginner

I doubt it as well... :/

不死鳥
#19 Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

That's totally insane!
#20 Old 10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Ag lobbying interests win again.

I find it almost as outrageous as not allowing your kids to pack a lunch to take to school.
#21 Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Beginner

There's another thread about that here : https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...French-veg*ans

Could one of the moderator merge both topics?

Not sure why it's not allowed to pack lunches. It's been like that for years, it actually never occurred to me to do otherwise. I never questioned it. Perhaps it's to make sure that kids have a healthy meal at least once per day? (it's just the definition of healthy that is no longer valid; what could have been believed 50 years ago is no longer relevant)

不死鳥
#22 Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

France
#23 Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. They can't even bring their own lunch? That's completely absurd.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#24 Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Beginner

That's how it's been for decades. Lunch is a service (you have to pay for it, obviously) provided by the school, kids are served in elementary schools, it a self-service in grammar schools and high schools.
Probably someone with loads of allergy could be allowed to come with their own food, apart from that, same food (usually disgusting, like in any canteen) for everybody.

不死鳥
#25 Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

The hot lunch served in our schools is abysmal enough, I'd have blown a gasket if I wasn't allowed to pack my kids lunch.
#26 Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

WTF France?
#27 Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Beginner

You are allowed to pack snacks for your kids, though. But in some schools (kindergarten only, after, you can do whatever you want snack-wise), you are told what snack to bring, so as to share or I guess to avoid jalousy between kids, if s/o comes with a twix while s/o else has a small tasteless fruit.

But for lunch, everybody eats the same thing!

不死鳥
#28 Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Do they not have food allergies in France?
#29 Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Beginner

No. It's genetic, we are a very healthy people.

All jokes aside, I don't know how it works in case of food allergies, no one in my family/friend circle has any food allergies (and I myself don't have any kids ; or food allergies).
I suppose you would have to warn the school, so that they provide something special (or avoid giving your kid milk if they are lactose intolerant, for instance); or in certain cases of severe or multiple allergies, so that they allow you to pack your kid their lunch.

Everything would be so much simpler if you were allowed to pack lunch, or if all the meals provided where vegan ; jews and muslim wouldn't have to worry about hallal or kosher meat. And it would be good for omnis to eat something else than meat for a change. ^^

不死鳥
#30 Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

What can you say?

You can be sure that the folks who stand to profit from it lobbied for it. Like everything else, this is about money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page