Ramsay and Shark Fin trade. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

This was on TV yesterday and I caught part of it. Did anyone else watch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

What was on TV? Do you have more info?
#3 Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Was he talking in favor of the shark fin trade or against it? More information would be greatly appreciated!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

American TV? Which channel?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

My apologizes for the confusion. It's a program called Gordon Ramsay's Shark Bait. It was on BBC America yesterday, though was originally broadcast on Channel 4 back in January.

http://www.gordonramsay.com/corporat...ewsitem15.html
#6 Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
With an estimated 100 million sharks being killed worldwide and a third of the worlds open ocean shark species being driven to extinction by overfishing, Gordon aims to find out if the slaughter is really necessary.

Man, I could have saved those guys a hell of a lot of time. Nope, not necessary. Go vegan jackholes.

It sounds like the show had a good message, though. I didn't watch it, but I'm (obvs) against murdering millions of sharks for their fins.
#7 Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, a good portion of it was Ramsay being completely shocked and appalled. Apparently while filming part of it he practically got killed by black market people in Costa Rica. I'll post a link when I get home.
#8 Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post

Go vegan jackholes.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Well it is nice that he was shocked and appalled. It shows that he must be a decent man, underneath all that shouting and swearing : ) .
#10 Old 08-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Banned

But is Ramsay just doing this because he doesn't want sharks to go extinct so he won't run out of shark fin soup someday?
#11 Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

Well it is nice that he was shocked and appalled. It shows that he must be a decent man, underneath all that shouting and swearing : ) .

Yeh he's a real top bloke. He's cheated on his wife, bullied and verbally abused his employees, put down vegetarians, reckons he snuck meat into the food of one vego, said a heap of condescending sexist bull to an Aussie TV host live on TV who dared to challenge him on his bull****, and now as a world-renouned chef who's run elite Mitchelin star restaurants, he's pretends he's never eaten shark-fin soup for the camera's. What a D'Head!

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

**** Ramsay, but dammit, those poor sharks. It just breaks my heart that they're being slaughtered just to give some pricks fin soup.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#13 Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried to watch it. Honest I did. Ramsey just makes me soooooo pissed.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#14 Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Yeh he's a real top bloke. He's cheated on his wife, bullied and verbally abused his employees, put down vegetarians, reckons he snuck meat into the food of one vego, said a heap of condescending sexist bull to an Aussie TV host live on TV who dared to challenge him on his bull****, and now as a world-renouned chef who's run elite Mitchelin star restaurants, he's pretends he's never eaten shark-fin soup for the camera's. What a D'Head!

Well I didnt open the article so I didnt read it. But someone said that he was appalled by the shark fin thing, so I thought that perhaps he had some kindness in him.
#15 Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree.

Why is he saying that he cares about sharks when he doesn't seem to care about any other animal?

What really creeps me out is that apparently he is seen as a sex symbol by some women (and men probably) in the UK.
#16 Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My impression of Ramsay is he's a decent guy, typical omni. I watch his shows pretty frequently, and his yelling (I don't consider swearing to be offensive) is when he's stomping on someone's hubris, never out of spite. The sneaking meat into a vegetarian's food I believe was done by an employee, who was reprimanded because doing so is messing with the customer's order and therefore bad customer service. He did an episode of F Word about factory farming, during which he admitted that he finally understands where vegetarians are coming from. And he did eat the soup during the show, supposedly to understand "what all the fuss was about". It was determined "bland". He also raised some pigs in his back yard, though I disagree on principle, it's still better because at least he's teaching his kids where they're food comes from.
#17 Old 08-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I agree.

Why is he saying that he cares about sharks when he doesn't seem to care about any other animal?

What really creeps me out is that apparently he is seen as a sex symbol by some women (and men probably) in the UK.

Probably the same reason most omnis tend to pick which animals they care about, like cats and dogs opposed to cows and pigs.

While I don't like giving people "symbol status", personally I think he's rather attractive. I tend to like craggy older men. ^_^
#18 Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_scholar View Post

While I don't like giving people "symbol status", personally I think he's rather attractive. I tend to like craggy older men. ^_^

Hang your head in shame!! ()

I detest him, lol. I have nothing good to say about him apart from that I saw him on the Ellen DeGeneres show and he cooked something vegan for her and cut himself with a knife.
#19 Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

He does good stuff.

He does bad stuff.

At the end of the day, it might even out somehow.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#20 Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

He does good stuff.

He does bad stuff.

At the end of the day, it might even out somehow.

+1

I think, like all people, he's not "good guy" or "bad guy". He's a human guy, who is every bit as complex as all of the rest of us, including both strengths and flaws, both good and bad decisions. Also, I agree that he'd be damn attractive if he took better care of his skin!
#21 Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't watch anything by that guy. He made a total fool of himself when he came to australia.
#22 Old 08-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw a video once of him flipping out and verbally abusing one of his customers because she wouldn't eat foie gras. Why should sharks get his sympathy when geese don't?

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#23 Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Because some see fininning as a particularly cruel practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page