Large chain of shops stops selling eggs from caged hens in norway - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Beginner

original article in norwegian: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/a...artid=10089396

Translated.

From next year, the Rema stores will only sell eggs from free range hens. Biased marketing, said the poultry industry.

From New Year Rema 1000 will only be selling eggs from free range hens. Poultry industry attacks Rema 1000, saying they want to scare customers from buying other than eggs from free range chickens.

In the middle of July, started the retail chain to mark egg cartons from caged hens, as well as to discuss differences in welfare between hens in cages and free range chickens in cardboard boxes. From 1 January 2012 is the old cages are banned in Norway, and all egg farmers have to go over to the cage with safety fittings or free-range systems.

- There is no objective reason to argue that free-range hens have better animal welfare than chickens in enviromental cages, says David Koht-Norbye, head of the Norwegian poultry Association.

Cages hens are better protected than SFO(after school care)-children

He says he has a whole industry behind him when he is confronted with Rema's labeling.

- Rema 1000 is doing biased marketing, says Koht-Norbye, who believes that the grocery chain is positioning itself for the phasing out of eggs from caged hens.

Purchasing Tor-Erik Aag in 1000 Rema says marking is derived from customers' factual information needs, and reject in the strongest that the labeling of cartons are designed to scare customers from buying eggs from hens in enviromental cages.

- What we do is to educate customers about the differences in animal welfare. In the rest of Europe are required to label eggs from battery hens. Norway is the only country where the information does not reach to customers, and we do something now, in a factual way.

I think this is amazing! Finally we get some information in norway!
I know a lot of you vegans will say it doesn't matter because they are still in capture, but for me this is a huge step to see in norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Ex-*****

Maybe a small step in the right direction? I'm surprised Rema 1000 would bother about animal welfare at all. My impression was they were all about the low prices. That's why my dad loves the store so much.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Beginner

Yeah I was suprised as well, I would have figured kiwi would be the one taking that step first seeing as they have the whole cheap veg and fruit thing going on. But I suppose they realised they could play on the omnivore guilt and make some money of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page