Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Haven't seen this posted yet:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

Quote:
Got milk? Overweight kids may need it

Dairy foods appear to cut risk of childhood obesity, study shows

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) --Is a glass of milk good for the waistline?

A study finds that despite the calories, youngsters who have dairy food regularly seem to lower their risk of becoming overweight.

Too much weight is now considered to be the most common medical condition of childhood. About 15 percent of U.S. young people are overweight or obese, double the rate of two decades ago.

While the obvious cause is too much food and too little exercise, many studies are attempting to tease apart the precise changes in habits that are driving this health hazard. Several were reported Thursday at a meeting in San Francisco of the American Heart Association.

Lynn Moore, an epidemiologist at Boston University School of Medicine, found that just two servings of dairy food a day are linked to a substantial reduction in adolescent fatness.

Childhood dairy intake has been failing for the last 20 years, in part as youngsters' preferences have switched from milk to soft drinks. During this time, soda consumption has risen by 300 percent.

Another factor, though, has been fat phobia. Youngsters "consume less and less as they get older," Moore said. "Adolescent girls in particular are concerned about eating dairy because they think it will make them fat."

However, her research, based on the Framingham Children's Study, found just the opposite is true. The analysis was financed largely by the National Health, Lung and Blood Institute with additional funding from the National Dairy Council.

Several studies -- including Moore's -- have shown that children and adults who consume adequate amounts of dairy foods have lower blood pressure. Some researchers have put adults on diets with increased dairy and found, to their surprise, that they also seem to lose weight.

In the latest study, the researchers did frequent dietary surveys on 106 families with children and followed them an average of 12 years. They judged body fat by measuring the skin thickness on four parts of their bodies.

They found that those who consumed less than two servings a day averaged about an extra inch of fat in a fold of skin, a surprisingly large amount. The children's average skin fold thickness was 75 millimeters, while those who ate little dairy were 25 millimeters greater.

Dr. Stephen Daniels, associate chairman of the heart center at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, said the benefit was seen with a relatively modest amount of dairy food, and overdoing it could mean large amounts of extra fat calories.

"You shouldn't take home from this that you need to eat as much dairy as you can, but it should be part of an overall healthy diet," he said.

He also noted that no study has yet shown that adding milk to youngsters' diet actually helps them control weight. He said those who get regular dairy foods may weigh less because they eat more home-cooked meals or have breakfast each morning.

Among other findings of Moore's study:

Youngsters who ate moderate amounts of fat -- between 30 percent and 35 percent of total calories (bolding mine) -- weighed less than those who ate either more or less.

Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables was also associated with lower weight.

Contrary to one popular theory, the glycemic index of children's diet -- the amount of fast-burning carbohydrates -- had no bearing on their eventual weight gain.

Just how dairy food might moderate weight gain is a mystery. Moore speculated that calcium or some other nutrient in milk might help influence the way the body stores energy in fat cells. Or perhaps dairy foods simply make children feel less hungry.

Follow link for the rest of the article.

Was surprised this hadn't been posted yet.

It's strange that they talk about 30-35% of diet as total fat but don't draw the link to milk, per se, considering the article supports dairy consumption. It's a very narrow window, isn't it? Over or under and you're screwed. Lends some small credence to Sears' Zone theory of 30-40-30, anyway. Anyone here know within 5% how many fat calories they get in a day? I have no clue, personally.

I like the fruits and veggies reminder. It's about as consistent a message as I've ever seen come out of the scientific world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

It's the calcium that helps with weightloss, not dairy per se.
#3 Old 03-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

From the article:

Quote:
Just how dairy food might moderate weight gain is a mystery. Moore speculated that calcium or some other nutrient in milk might help influence the way the body stores energy in fat cells.

Sounds like they weren't sure, oddly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, most kids don't want to drink milk. So another factor is that kids who are forced to drink by parents who think it's good for them will also likely force them to eat foods that really are healthy for them. As opposed to kids who are given much more freedom in the food and drink choices and are more likely to drink Soda and eat snack foods. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
#5 Old 03-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Also, most kids don't want to drink milk. So another factor is that kids who are forced to drink by parents who think it's good for them will also likely force them to eat foods that really are healthy for them. As opposed to kids who are given much more freedom in the food and drink choices and are more likely to drink Soda and eat snack foods. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

I think you made a good point. Good lord I didn't want to drink milk as a kid!
#6 Old 03-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

To be honest, I think that processed food and no exercise is why kids are so fat these days. If you want healthier kids, then having them playing footy in the street is going to do them better than having them sat in front of Tv's or playstations all day.

And as we all know, having kids eat proper food instead of processed crap will probably be better off for them: Real fruit, veg and meat, rather than reconstituted chicken with every E-number under the sun and slight hints of vegetables will help stop obesity.

To put it straight, there is no one thing that will cut obesity as a miracle cure all (i.e. eat more dairy, eat, less meat or eat magic beans) the way to combat childhood obesity is to have kids lead healthy lifestyles rather than the lifestyles of playstations, mcdonalds and all the other stuff that kids do these days that's bad for them.
#7 Old 03-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^^^
#8 Old 03-05-2004, 05:56 PM

i red this to day in the paper while workin, and my bull**** flag went up.
#9 Old 03-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3gan View Post

i red this to day in the paper while workin, and my bull**** flag went up.

So what raised the flag for you, the fact that this research was partly funded by the National Dairy Council or the fact their only example is to kids who drink a lot of soda.
#10 Old 03-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My thoughts exactly kpickell.
#11 Old 03-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Consumed less dairy might be a group in the statistics that consume more fat. Perhaps the dairy group is already more health conscious. I try to find the orignal study, maybe I can quench some information out of it.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#12 Old 03-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My parents were like this. Plus, they were poor, and it would be a cold day in hell that they'd spend what little money they had on pop instead of milk, (which they felt was best for us) or chips instead of rice, beans, and vegetables. I was very thin as a child.
#13 Old 03-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I found this on pubmed:

Quote:
J Nutr. 2003 Jan;133(1):245S-248S. Related Articles, Links

Increased dairy product or calcium intake: is body weight or composition affected in humans?

Barr SI.

University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z4.

To assess the possible impact of increased intakes of dairy products or calcium on body weight or composition, a MEDLINE search was conducted to identify randomized trials of supplementation with calcium or dairy products. Nine studies of dairy product supplementation were located: In seven, no significant differences in the change in body weight or composition were detected between treatment and control groups. However, two studies conducted in older adults observed significantly greater weight gain in the dairy product groups. The interpretation of these findings is complicated by the inability to accurately determine the extent of dietary compensation for the increment in energy intake provided by the added dairy products. This is not an issue in the interpretation of studies of calcium supplementation, of which 17 were identified. Only one study found greater weight loss in the supplemented group; in the remaining studies, changes in body weight and/or body fat were strikingly similar between groups. In conclusion, the data available from randomized trials of dairy product or calcium supplementation provide little support for an effect in reducing body weight or fat mass. However, the studies reviewed were not specifically designed or powered* to address this issue; such studies are required.

my italics

*meaning that they expect a very small effect anyhow, so even if there is one, the studies were not large enough to detect the effect.
#14 Old 03-17-2004, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with all the conclusions you guys are offering. Why is it that no research articles tell you how they did the study, just their own biased conclusions? This study was only correlational and not experimental. It's highly likely that the milk drinkers were also forced to eat carrots instead of doritos.
#15 Old 03-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the milk drinkers eating healthier overall. My children drink 3 things, milk, real fruit juice & water. (rethinking the milk, but that's another argument). But I've always (even before so recently going veggie) pushed fruits and vegetables for them. And they enjoy them, and will try new ones cause that's all they've ever known.
#16 Old 03-19-2004, 11:51 AM

This reminds me of a funny story. A few months back, my husband and I were eating at our favorite Indian restaurant. The two guys in the booth next to us were talking very loudly and we could practically hear their conversation better than our own. One of the guys was huge-- he must have weighed about 400 pounds.

Anyway my husband and I were sitting there kind of smiling, laughing to ourselves because we kept hearing this guy say things that were wrong. Such as telling his friend where someplace was, and screwing up which street it was on, stuff like that. The guy seemed like a barrel of misinformation.

The next thing we heard him say was "I heard that drinking milk helps you to lose weight. That's why I drink at least 4 glasses of milk a day."

We really cracked up at that one, as we both mouthed to each other "Wow that plan is really working, isn't it?"
#17 Old 03-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, it's always funny to laugh at the misinformed.

#18 Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get why people focus so much on drinking this, eating that in order to not get fat. There's something called EXERCISE!!! Don't let your kids play video games and watch tv all day, make them go outside and ride their bikes or go swimming or play jumprope. I honestly believe that if you get enough exercise, you can eat whtaever you want and not gain weight.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#19 Old 03-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Well, as far as dairy being helpful to kids' weightloss- those kids just need to get out of the house. But I can honestly say I've read other info that states dairy every day can help in boosting metabolism. I don't know what it is, but there have been studies done on adults trying to lose weight and those who consumed some sort of dairy every day lost more weight.

Now I'm not a vegan so I eat dairy every day. I don't drink milk, but I usually eat low-fat cheese, low-fat ice cream or low-fat yogurt. Can't say I've lost any weight though! Of course I don't exercise and all I eat is carbs and veggies so that's probably the problem
#20 Old 03-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

To be honest, I think that processed food and no exercise is why kids are so fat these days. If you want healthier kids, then having them playing footy in the street is going to do them better than having them sat in front of Tv's or playstations all day.

And as we all know, having kids eat proper food instead of processed crap will probably be better off for them: Real fruit, veg and meat, rather than reconstituted chicken with every E-number under the sun and slight hints of vegetables will help stop obesity.

To put it straight, there is no one thing that will cut obesity as a miracle cure all (i.e. eat more dairy, eat, less meat or eat magic beans) the way to combat childhood obesity is to have kids lead healthy lifestyles rather than the lifestyles of playstations, mcdonalds and all the other stuff that kids do these days that's bad for them.

That's the most sensible post I've seen.

Jeffer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page