VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Animal Issues In The News (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/22-animal-issues-news/)
-   -   Bill Clinton Keeps Vegetarian Vows After Chelsea's Wedding (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/22-animal-issues-news/116414-bill-clinton-keeps-vegetarian-vows-after-chelseas-wedding.html)

Parsnip 08-30-2010 08:43 PM

http://vegetarianstar.com/2010/08/30...lseas-wedding/


"Bill Clinton is keeping a vegetarian vow after embracing the diet to lose a few pounds for daughter Chelseas wedding.

Page Six reports that the former president of the United States was spotted eating a veggie burger at Babettes in East Hampton, New York. And lets hear it for Hillary, who chose the falafel instead of meat as well."



Hurray for the younger generation! You are definitely having an influence, even on your elders.

Killer_queen 08-30-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

http://vegetarianstar.com/2010/08/30...lseas-wedding/


"Bill Clinton is keeping a vegetarian vow after embracing the diet to lose a few pounds for daughter Chelsea’s wedding.

Page Six reports that the former president of the United States was spotted eating a veggie burger at Babette’s in East Hampton, New York. And let’s hear it for Hillary, who chose the falafel instead of meat as well."



Hurray for the younger generation! You are definitely having an influence, even on your elders.

I did hear about Chelsea's Vegan wedding menu. I must say I like that idea. I know she's vegetarian. But for how long has she been one?

Critter 08-30-2010 08:53 PM

This is good news. There seems to be some stereotype of vegetarianism being a 'fad' for teenagers and young people only as older veggo's are often forgotten. It's always great to see people turning to veggie habits in their old age, especially people as influencial as ex Presidents.

Parsnip 08-30-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

I did hear about Chelsea's Vegan wedding menu. I must say I like that idea. I know she's vegetarian. But for how long has she been one?

At least since she lived in the White House, and apparently from a very young age. Politics aside, I give credit to her parents for supporting her:

http://vegetarianstar.com/2008/09/14...to-cook-vegan/

Killer_queen 08-30-2010 09:04 PM

Nice! One of my teachers at school was a Vegetarian and she went Vegan back in January of this year. She had been a Vegetarian for 10 years before the transition. She's been one since she was 14.

Sevenseas 08-30-2010 10:26 PM

Eating a vegetarian dinner doesn't mean he's actually a vegetarian. This is how those "famous vegetarians" lists, which have a lot of non-veg*ns on them, get created.

delicioso 08-30-2010 10:49 PM

Bill Clinton? Vows?

Exitof99 08-31-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Eating a vegetarian dinner doesn't mean he's actually a vegetarian. This is how those "famous vegetarians" lists, which have a lot of non-veg*ns on them, get created.

I agree

GoGoGoddess 08-31-2010 03:14 AM

This is great news! Like Critter said, it'll certainly help smash the "teenage fad" stereotype that some people see vegetarianism as.

fadeaway1289 08-31-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Bill Clinton? Vows?

Lol.

danakscully64 08-31-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Bill Clinton? Vows?


rainforests1 09-01-2010 12:59 PM

I can't complain but for a President who did so little to help animals over 8 years I see no reason to get my hopes up.

Sevenseas 09-01-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I can't complain but for a President who did so little to help animals over 8 years I see no reason to get my hopes up.

I remember reading that he was quite active a hunter, too.

BLKBARBIE25 09-01-2010 02:44 PM

not everyone becomes vegetarian for animal rights reasons ...
i became vegetarian because of the countless meat recalls
thats pretty much it ...
alot of thing might kill me but a steak wont be one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I can't complain but for a President who did so little to help animals over 8 years I see no reason to get my hopes up.


Fromper 09-02-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I remember reading that he was quite active a hunter, too.

I think Kucinich and Obama are the only presidential candidates I've ever seen who weren't active hunters. But when there's not a campaign going, many of the same people don't hunt. It's just something they do to kiss up to the gun lovers during campaign season.

--Fromper

Breezydreams 09-02-2010 06:33 PM

Ditto on laughing at Clinton and 'vows"? Sure

b Clinton "Honest Hilary it's a veggie burger" blood drips down" That's not blood, it's beet juice" fat sizzles out, "that's vegan cheese Hilary, I swear, just like I swore I never touched "that" woman"

I just can't trust the oath of someone who goes to bomb an aspirin factory in where was it? Sudan? But people were focusing on his lying cheating ways so the only solution is to bomb an aspirin factory of course.

Sevenseas 09-03-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I think Kucinich and Obama are the only presidential candidates I've ever seen who weren't active hunters.

I always liked that Mike Gravel guy, so I did some Googling:

Quote:
[My early job in Alaska was] on the snow fleet--a train engine with a plow--to clear the snow that could be three or four feet high on the tracks.Moose have spindly legs. Rather than cutting themselves in the snow, they’d jump onto the tracks where th snow had been plowed. Trains would accidentally run over moose all the time. Usually, just the legs got severed. The poor animal would be lying there. So the engineer would call a native hospital and they’d come with a handcar or an automobile to pick up the moose and use it for food at the hospital.
After seeing this once I told the engineer that the next time it happens, I’d jump off and shoot the moose, rather than just let it lie there suffering. I don’t hunt or fish, which made Alaskans suspicious of me, but I couldn’t watch the moose writhing in the snow, moaning. So I climbed down from the caboose into the snow. I must have shot three or four moose that way. Then we’d call the hospital to tell them to pick up their meat.
Source: A Political Odyssey, by Mike Gravel, p.134 May 2, 2008



http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Mike...un_Control.htm

Joan Kennedy 09-03-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I can't complain but for a President who did so little to help animals over 8 years I see no reason to get my hopes up.

Well, he's doing something to help animals now. It's not about whether he can be trusted to keep vegetarian. Come on, the average person tells four lies every day, it's just that there's no audio-video running when we do it. It's about the ripple effects when such a major player on the world stage does something that's so fringe-like in the eyes of most people. When he's seen eating a veggieburger, or staging an elaborate-veg friendly wedding for his daughter , the "fringe-like" behavior takes another step toward mainstream. Whether he keeps it up or not. He's not a freak, he's seen eating a meatless entree, and his trying it on makes it seem less freakish.

I pretty much like it whenever a well known person goes veg and says so, even a flaky celebrity. People who admire them will try it. And if it works for them, they'll stay veg even if the celeb goes off it, which sadly they usually do.

@Sevenseas: I've always liked Mike Gravel too, and like him even better seeing that story.

Fromper 09-03-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

Well, he's doing something to help animals now. It's not about whether he can be trusted to keep vegetarian. Come on, the average person tells four lies every day, it's just that there's no audio-video running when we do it. It's about the ripple effects when such a major player on the world stage does something that's so fringe-like in the eyes of most people. When he's seen eating a veggieburger, or staging an elaborate-veg friendly wedding for his daughter , the "fringe-like" behavior takes another step toward mainstream. Whether he keeps it up or not. He's not a freak, he's seen eating a meatless entree, and his trying it on makes it seem less freakish.

I pretty much like it whenever a well known person goes veg and says so, even a flaky celebrity. People who admire them will try it. And if it works for them, they'll stay veg even if the celeb goes off it, which sadly they usually do.

@Sevenseas: I've always liked Mike Gravel too, and like him even better seeing that story.

Agreed on all counts.

--Fromper


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.