CA State Fair cops kill terrified pregnant cow - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.sacbee.co...http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/28/2919215/police-gun-down-rampaging-pregnant.html

"About 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, UC Davis veterinarians were delivering the cow to the fairgrounds, where she was expected to give birth to her calf before wide-eyed fairgoers as part of the long-standing Livestock Nursery program."

It's a circus ring-type affair, surrounded by screaming people. Just the type of quiet, protected, defensible environment any right-minded cow would choose to calve in ...

Keep on freepin' on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
But any domesticated animal has the potential to react violently when threatened, Wilson said. Cows are no exception.

Surprise, surprise.

I also hate how one of the vets claimed she was euthanized. Euthanasia is by definition painless.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM

That's so incredibly sad.

Of course I went and looked at the comment section because I just love doing that to myself...one page was enough, trust me.

This might be pretty obvious, but I really don't think they knew what they were doing. At all. I agree with one of the comments that said "there was a rampage going on, but it wasn't the cow's." Awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

THat's horrible. Any ideas what we can do? i.e. someone to write not that this brings the cow back but to try and stop this type of thing again.

Poor animals
#5 Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

if we could only get people to stop exploiting animals...

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#7 Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The veterinarian added insult to injury (or death, in this case).

The supervising veterinarian at the fair said the animal was angry and upset.

"I think she's a nutcase," Dr. Ben Norman said. "She doesn't respond too well."

[...]

"My decision was, because I didn't want to cause any problems with the people here at the fair," Norman said. "She wasn't predictable ... also, she's a little mean."

http://diggingthroughthedirt.blogspo...et-blames.html

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Anyone in the Sacramento area tonight, there is going to be a demonstration outside the fair grounds tonight from 6:00pm-8:00pm.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#9 Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM

This doesn't surprise me. She's pregnant and any pregnant animal (human or otherwise) is going to want a safe place to have her baby, not a crowded, unfamiliar place like a fair. The idea of them forcing an animal to deliver its baby while people watch and gawk is just another form of cruelty. And if these people are suppose to be veterinarians then they should at least care enough about the animal not to put it through that, but I guess not everyone goes into the veterinary sciences for the animals. I suppose its just another example of what people do when they think they own an animal and can with it as they wish. I think the saddest bit about this is that even the mother had survived to deliver the calf, neither of them would have had a good life. This stuff really ticks me off and I'm usually a very calm person...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page