Beekeeper killed by his own bees - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

An experienced beekeeper died after his beloved insects stung him as he tended a hive on his allotment.

Father-of-two Christopher Weaver, 56, a legal adviser and Falklands war veteran, was feeding his bees when he collapsed suddenly in front of a friend.

Paramedics spent 30 minutes trying to revive Weaver, who was wearing no protective clothing, but he died in hospital, where doctors found a series of stings on his chest and abdomen.

His father Alec, 79, said today that his son was used to handling the bees. "He was just feeding them some sugar solution. He had all the protective clothing and he had clothing for his sons too. He wasn't wearing anything, which was careless really.

"The hive had just been transferred and I think the bees had been disturbed. So they were angry and probably sleepy too. In the past the stings had not affected him. I know he was stung on the stomach, I don't know how many stings he suffered.

"The postmortem said the venom got into the lower left ventricle of his heart. They said his heart was strong and he did not have a condition.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ap...stopher-weaver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
He was just feeding them some sugar solution.

They wanted their honey back.

Very unfortunate for the man and his family. Hopefully they're holding up well and can get through this. That's scary stuff. It got to his heart? Eehh..

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

In b4 he deserved it.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow. I didn't know bee stingers could get close enough to your heart to do anything. Sad.
#5 Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Sad

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page