Opinion: Vegans can feel comfortable eating oysters - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.slate.com/id/2248998/

"When I talked about this article with my editor at Slate, she said, 'I won't lieyou'll be attacked viciously for being a vegan, and attacked equally viciously for not being a strict enough vegan.'"

I'm sure this applies to many individuals here. It could be argued that a weakness of this article is that is does not distinguish between veganism as an ideology and veganism as a diet. Or at least, that it does not distinguish the two correctly according to one's personal ideas or preferences when it comes to the semantics.

However, I was happy to see this article. It has been my experience that magazine/online magazine articles typically treat vegans as idiotic purists. And there is very little representation of vegans other than as people defending their diet against a big bad world of meat-eaters. I was happy to see someone move beyond all that and actually post their throughts on their own diet, actually not care if it adheres to another's moral code, and do so while staying open-minded. That is my ideal kind of article. I don't care so much if the author eats something I wouldn't eat or chooses to use the word vegan in a particular way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

It just seems that they are finding loopholes to eating living things. Vegans try to limit their intake to foods that grew from seeds. This is really close to the honey debate. At least she admitted she wasn't vegan anymore, "Because I eat oysters, I shouldn't call myself a vegan. I'm not even a vegetarian. I am a pescetarian, or a flexitarian, or maybe there's an even more awkward word to describe my diet. At first I despaired over losing the vegan badge of honorI do everything else vegans dobut I got over it. Oysters may be animals, but even the strictest ethicist should feel comfortable eating them by the boatload."

They may not have a CNS, but it's still a living creature. It's not some "notional" animal just because it doesn't have a CNS, it's still sea life.
#3 Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

There's no "veganism as diet" any more than there is "being a firefighter as wearing a helmet" or whatever.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to say that I wonder about this ( NOT that I want to eat oysters as I find the idea revolting) but the reason I justify eating plants and being vegan is that plants don't have a nervous system and so I assume don't feel pain. I personally don't want to eat oysters but if it's true that they are like plants in terms of not being sentient and not having a nervous system then why wouldn't it be ethical to eat them?
#5 Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

When you read the comments under the article it says that oysters do actually have a nervous system just not a central nervous system. Seems to me the writer is in denial and clearly doesn't understand the meaning of veganism.
#6 Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

It just seems that they are finding loopholes to eating living things.

Agreed. And why oysters, of all creatures? They look like cat vomit. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt and be truly vegan?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#7 Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz76 View Post

When you read the comments under the article it says that oysters do actually have a nervous system just not a central nervous system. Seems to me the writer is in denial and clearly doesn't understand the meaning of veganism.

Oh ok, thank you for clearing it up for me: I didn't know if they did or didn't have a nervous system... I just meant that if anything wasn't sentient, then I personally couldn't see the ethical objection to eating it but if they have a nervous system then they must be sentient.
#8 Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I suppose they may have a point, but I never found oysters appealing as food anyway.
#9 Old 04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand why you'd want to eat them anyway =X lol
#10 Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I think she just wants an excuse to eat what she wants. I think it's gross.

Atame.
#11 Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaisa View Post

I think she just wants an excuse to eat what she wants. I think it's gross.

What is the purpose of an excuse? Who's to stop you?
#12 Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

What is the purpose of an excuse? Who's to stop you?

Psst... Haven't you heard of the Vegan Police? ;-)
#13 Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned

All you have to understand is that oysters and such are water filters, and we are along way from the Garden of Eden.
#14 Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Agreed. And why oysters, of all creatures? They look like cat vomit. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt and be truly vegan?

Yeah, why not just eat cat vomit. Or is that too much of an animal product too?

I believe everything.
#15 Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Yeah, why not just eat cat vomit. Or is that too much of an animal product too?

Since the cat's done with the vomit and doesn't care what you do with it, I think there's nothing unethical about that. But it wouldn't be vegan, by definition. If it comes from an animal, it's not vegan. </parody-of-what-about-eggs-from-pet-hens-threads>

--Fromper

#16 Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

I suppose they may have a point, but I never found oysters appealing as food anyway.

Me either, I've never liked them. They're the loogies of the sea.
#17 Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Last time I checked, mollusks belongs to the Animal Kingdom. Anatomy be damned, they're a critter, and I as a vegan, wouldn't eat one.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Why even bother? I keep wondering why people keep trying to justify their meat eating. Either eat it or don't but stop trying to call yourself a veggie.
#19 Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Ick, I've never eaten and oyster, they look disgusting. I used to dig clams when I was a kid, but I wouldn't do that now. I wouldn't eat anything out of the sea, there are just too many contaminants. I remember going through the phase where I thought, "I just won't eat sentient creatures, mammals, birds, fish... but crustaceans and mollusks are lower life forms so they're ok". But then realized I don't like most of those foods, so what's the point? I just decided to go all vegetarian and eat no animals. Sounds like this author is conflicted about her reasons for being veg*n.

I get the comments about plants feeling pain all the time ("I heard a carrot cry the other day", just heard that one, forgot to post it on stupid-things...) I'm perfectly willing to entertain the idea that they have feelings. Certainly, if one wanted to kill me they would be justified. But I haven't read anything so far that is convincing, and I have to eat something, so for now I eat things with leaves but not things with fur.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page