Ex-vegan pelted with pie at book fair - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

An ex-vegan, hit with a pepper-laced pie while promoting her anti-vegetarian work at an anarchist book fair in San Francisco, says her assailants were cowards.

Lierre Keith, 45, stood at a lectern at Golden Gate Park's Hall of Flowers Saturday at the 15th annual Bay Area Anarchist Book Fair discussing her book, "The Vegetarian Myth," when three people in black hooded sweatshirts and masks ran from backstage, shouted, "Go vegan," and threw chili pepper-laced pies in her face, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Tuesday.

Keith, a 20-year vegan, was midway through her 30-minute talk railing, she said, against factory farming and factory-farmed meat when the attack was caught on video and later posted to Web sites.

Caught on video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPayTWlAQ0k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Because that'll make me want to go vegan...

Also, I like how the audience just sat there like statues.
#3 Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

She sounds like a tool, but throwing the pie was a dumb move.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Love the music on the video, good old benny hill.
#5 Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

What does one expect, when you go to what is a 'fringe' type book fair, and promote a book that just reinforces society's so-called ideals? The anti-vegetarian movement doesn't need help, and thus her book is probably pointless.

That being said though, I don't agree with their tactics. They would of done better if they had grilled her during the question and answer period or found some 'dirt' on her to deliver in front of a captive audience.
#6 Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

What does one expect, when you go to what is a 'fringe' type book fair, and promote a book that just reinforces society's so-called ideals? The anti-vegetarian movement doesn't need help, and thus her book is probably pointless.

That being said though, I don't agree with their tactics. They would of done better if they had grilled her during the question and answer period or found some 'dirt' on her to deliver in front of a captive audience.

I'll bet her book publisher is delighted with the free press...
#7 Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I'll bet her book publisher is delighted with the free press...

Yeah, one commenter mentioned that it was a publicity stunt, which would actually make sense so she could show just how 'crazy' vegans are.
#8 Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

Because that'll make me want to go vegan...

Also, I like how the audience just sat there like statues.

My thoughts exactly! And what did that guy throw at her from the audience? A banana? Haha..

This looks completely staged.

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#9 Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't this the same woman who said that vegans think we should build a giant fence down the middle of Africa to separate the carnivores from the herbivores?

Wow, the first link on her "Links" page is to Weston Price.

http://www.lierrekeith.com/Links.htm
#10 Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read her book (of course) and I applaud the idea that food for a community should come from that community - that's part of the anarchist-communist ideal. What she doesn't seem to have sussed is that if we were all veg*n, there wouldn't be more agriculture, as she claims, there would be less of it, as we wouldn't be feeding the animals.

Surely that's Vegetarianism 101 - and she was a vegan for 20 years? Go figure.

As an aside, my hubby was sentenced to a month in prison for throwing a pie at an anarchist demo in the 80's.
#11 Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

I haven't read her book (of course) and I applaud the idea that food for a community should come from that community - that's part of the anarchist-communist ideal. What she doesn't seem to have sussed is that if we were all veg*n, there wouldn't be more agriculture, as she claims, there would be less of it, as we wouldn't be feeding the animals.

Surely that's Vegetarianism 101 - and she was a vegan for 20 years? Go figure.

As an aside, my hubby was sentenced to a month in prison for throwing a pie at an anarchist demo in the 80's.

Please tell your husband that if I ever meet him I will buy him a pint The world needs more pie throwers if you ask me.
#12 Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you actually read her book?
#13 Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You can read chapter 1 of the book on her site.

Quote:
But one post marked a turning point. A vegan flushed out his idea to keep animals from being killed—not by humans, but by other animals. Someone should build a fence down the middle of the Serengeti, and divide the predators from the prey. Killing is wrong and no animals should ever have to die, so the big cats and wild canines would go on one side, while the wildebeests and zebras would live on the other. He knew the carnivores would be okay because they didn’t need to be carnivores. That was a lie the meat industry told. He’d seen his dog eat grass: therefore, dogs could live on grass.

No one objected. In fact, others chimed in. My cat eats grass, too, one woman added, all enthusiasm. So does mine! someone else posted. Everyone agreed that fencing was the solution to animal death.

Note well that the site for this liberatory project was Africa. No one mentioned the North American prairie, where carnivores and ruminants alike have been extirpated for the annual grains that vegetarians embrace. But I’ll return to that in Chapter 3.

Yeah, she definitely sounds sane.
#14 Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

In this interview she brags about having broken her share of windows, and advocates attacking and taking down the power grid (which would kill many):

Quote:
Globalization is utterly dependent on these same computer and communication networks. The giant corporations that are stripping the earth bare and dispossessing local subsistence economies the world over can't function without two things: computers and electricity. Those two things are like the central nervous system and the blood flow of corporate power. And that's where they're vulnerable. These networks could be disrupted manually or through computer hacking. But anyone who wanted to attempt this would have to approach it like a war, like a serious resistance movement. Hitting Weyerhaeuser's computers once might be fun for a day or two, but it's not going to have any long term effect. But a coordinated effort of attacks against the electric grid, the biggest financial markets, and a list of the worst environmental offenders would. It would require planning, discipline, and tremendous self-sacrifice on the part of activists. But it could be done. It would create social upheaval and possibly civil unrest. The average American city has enough food to last 13 days. Economies would have to go local again, and fast. But this is one of the places where the progressive sustainability folks should be working in tandem with the militants, helping to jump start and coordinate local food production networks while the militants bring down globalization.

http://www.inthewake.org/keith1.html

Yet she gets hit with a pie on top of her head, she has the police called and is wanting the pie throwers arrested, and is crying all over the net about it. She's a big talker for someone who can't handle a pie.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
A vegan flushed out his idea to keep animals from being killednot by humans, but by other animals. Someone should build a fence down the middle of the Serengeti, and divide the predators from the prey. Killing is wrong and no animals should ever have to die, so the big cats and wild canines would go on one side, while the wildebeests and zebras would live on the other. He knew the carnivores would be okay because they didnt need to be carnivores. That was a lie the meat industry told. Hed seen his dog eat grass: therefore, dogs could live on grass.

No one objected. In fact, others chimed in. My cat eats grass, too, one woman added, all enthusiasm. So does mine! someone else posted. Everyone agreed that fencing was the solution to animal death.

It's amazing that style of humor is so lost on her (especially given the site it appeared on). I think she's someone who must be very, very literal. That people who read that and take her perspective shows how desperate they are to believe there's a "vegetarian myth" and that vegans are crazy. A fence down the Serengeti dividing the carnivores and herbivores, with people joining in about how cats can survive on grass. I guess it would be crazy if it weren't meant to be funny.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#16 Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

nice...i love how a person in the audience threw in a banana peel for good measure.
#17 Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

Have any of you actually read her book?

Does that have some kind of relevance?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#18 Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Does that have some kind of relevance?

To her having written a book? Yes.
#19 Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, the topic of this thread is Lierre Keith's new book and people's reviews on it? It seems I have again been browsing Amazon and VB at the same time and confused the open Amazon tab with a VB thread.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Ah, the topic of this thread is Lierre Keith's new book and people's reviews on it? It seems I have again been browsing Amazon and VB at the same time and confused the open Amazon tab with a VB thread.

The topic is related the Lierre Keith... I was wondering if anyone had read her book.
#21 Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Face, I'd like you to meet Palm. You'll be seeing a lot of each-other while I process this Failpalooza.
#22 Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshermama View Post

nice...i love how a person in the audience threw in a banana peel for good measure.

Yeah the banana peel throw in made me laugh, I dunno why but it just seemed funny.

I could care less that people threw a few pies on her, I just hope they were vegan.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

It's amazing that style of humor is so lost on her (especially given the site it appeared on). I think she's someone who must be very, very literal. That people who read that and take her perspective shows how desperate they are to believe there's a "vegetarian myth" and that vegans are crazy. A fence down the Serengeti dividing the carnivores and herbivores, with people joining in about how cats can survive on grass. I guess it would be crazy if it weren't meant to be funny.

how do you know the thread she was talking about was joking

#24 Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post

Love the music on the video, good old benny hill.

I have to admit, I laughed out loud watching it.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#25 Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

how do you know the thread she was talking about was joking

It comes across very much that these people were either joking or she's taken it out of context.

Does anyone know why she stopped being vegan? Does she talk about it anywhere?
#26 Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollfie View Post

It comes across very much that these people were either joking or she's taken it out of context.

Does anyone know why she stopped being vegan? Does she talk about it anywhere?

Yes, that's what her book is about: the reasons why she quit being a vegan and why veganism is 'wrong'.
#27 Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 AM

Sorry I know I shouldn't have but this really made me laugh especially the banana peel lol
#28 Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely pathetic behavior
#29 Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Veg*ns are often accused of being "evangelical", but there's another group of people who give a whole new meaning to 'evangelical': ex-veg*ns. I mean, ****, once you've been veg*n and given that up, there's no limit to how fervently you want everyone to know about it, and hear your message about how bad the diet/lifestyle is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Absolutely pathetic behavior

Yeah she should have done something more valuable with her time instead of wasting it on that book. Like lying on the floor and staring at the ceiling or something.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I wrote about the book and Lierre Keith back in December of last year. You can view that post here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...=1#post2551189

Anyways, to those asking what site she was discussing about the Serengeti fence, I post it there. Basically you can Google "Serengeti fence vegan" and one of the first few sites is on Post Punk kitchen and it references an earlier thread on their same site. I'll repost that link:

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=19376

I wouldn't say she's a literal person, I am one of the most literal people I know (and it does annoy some people), but I can easily see that that link is people joking around (by the way, according to that link, it was posted before Keith's book ever came out).

In terms of why she is no longer vegan, supposedly she has some kind of degenerative spinal condition which she blames on her vegan diet. I have a difficult time believing it as well as a difficult time believing she was ever vegan. It sounds like one of those "I was vegan, I know and understand your insanity" type positions and look at my badge of honor which I will blame on a vegan diet. She may very well have a degenerative spinal condition, however, if it has anything to do with her diet (not that it's even clear that it is), then it seems she didn't research her diet properly and so the fault lies with her choices, and has little to do with the diet. It's like a deficiency in Vitamin C and blaming omnivorism for it.

As for the whole pie throwing thing; From the video, I was surprised at the audience reaction too. No one really seemed to do much other than a banana peel being thrown, no movements of astonishment. It's not clear to me if it was staged as a publicity stunt, the audience was in on it, or they just didn't care.

I don't agree with the pie throwing, but I don't have much sympathy for this person. I think she's extremely dishonest and deceitful. I think she's just found a niche of people who are 'trying to live simply' or return to a 'primitivist' diet. From the people I have interacted with, there is a strong anti-veg attitude and this type of book, simply reinforces that notion.
Megawatt likes this.

I believe everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page