Ex-vegan pelted with pie at book fair - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#31 Old 03-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Anyways, to those asking what site she was discussing about the Serengeti fence, I post it there. Basically you can Google "Serengeti fence vegan" and one of the first few sites is on Post Punk kitchen and it references an earlier thread on their same site. I'll repost that link:

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum...c.php?id=19376

Oh my, I can only imagine what would happen if she ever came across any of my posts:

Quote:
Vegans are worse than the Al-Qaeda - a neutral analysis of a political movement, by Lierre Keith

Chapter 2 - Veganism as anti-humanism

The misanthropic qualities of the animal advocacy movement are well-known, but I had never truly realized what kind of extreme forms this hatred of humanity could take, until I was reading a vegetarian message board and noticed that someone had posted a comment about sticking forks in people's knees. Depending on the force with which the fork is inserted, it can cause permanent damage to a person's knee, and I am shocked, just shocked, that some people think this kind of random violence is an appropriate way to deal with people. In image 2a, you can see the kind of tissue damage caused by these hooligans.

I have not only alerted the police and demanded a full investigation into this matter, but also founded an organization to help cover some of the medical expenses resulting from the knee injuries that vegans routinely inflict on innocent people. You can call the number included in Appendix B to give a donation and help some of these people. I also recommend wearing thick knee pads.

Megawatt likes this.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

Have any of you actually read her book?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't. I've read the writings of former veg*ns who, ahhh, "saw the light", got over their dietary fetishes, and sensibly started including meat, etc in their diet again...

and all I can say is... I want those hours of my life back so I can do something worthwhile with them this time.

ETA: about a fence in the Serengeti: although this would not be practical, I have no problem with the idea that prey animals in the wild have a hard life and that it would be wonderful to make it easier.

ETA (again): Oh jeez- I went and read the first few paragraphs on-line at the link someone posted.
Quote:
The truth is that agriculture is the most destructive thing humans have done to the planet, and more of the same won’t save us. The truth is that agriculture requires the wholesale destruction of entire ecosystems. The truth is also that life isn’t possible without death, that no matter what you eat, someone has to die to feed you.

And this after a lot of hand-wringing about how "noble" the intentions of animal-rights vegetarians are.

The truth is that the author got tired and gave up. The truth is that she (and others like her) aren't thinking outsude the box... and can't magine an alternative to the agriculture she's complaining about other than grazing animals.

The truth is... I could have spent those 90 seconds watching the "Badger Badger Badger" video... or reading lolcats...

DAMN.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#33 Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

The truth is... I could have spent those 90 seconds watching the "Badger Badger Badger" video... or reading lolcats...

DAMN.

Reading lolcats is always a productive use of time, no matter what anyone says

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^Yep! I think it's the "lolspeak" people post in at the lolcats and loldogs sites that fries my brain.

We kan haz propurr speling an grammur plz? kthnxbai

Oh- I should have added "reading and posting at Veggieboards" as another more profitable use of time.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#35 Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Oh my, I can only imagine what would happen if she ever came across any of my posts:

I believe everything.
#36 Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Throwing pies may seem innocent and harmless, but I don't think assault is OK.

I read the first chapter and find this person to be a frustrated ideologue. She switched to veg*nism to save the planet but became disappointed to realize that eating soy won't bring back endangered species. Then, some veg*ns post some ill-informed messages in a chat room and, rather than offering information to educate them, she rejects the entire group of people and their philosophy as fundamentally flawed. Based on a few internet postings, mind you. So now she strikes out on her own personal crusade, a Don Quixote tilting at windmills. She is best ignored. But I don't think she deserves a pie in the face.
#37 Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Then, some veg*ns post some ill-informed messages in a chat room and, rather than offering information to educate them, she rejects the entire group of people and their philosophy as fundamentally flawed.

If we're talking about the comments about lions, they were not ill-informed, they were a joke.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#38 Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Either that was fake, or she happened to be presenting to the most unexcitable audience ever.
#39 Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

She's against vegetarianism because she's against agriculture, so, in all fairness, you can hardly claim that she's a speciesist: her thesis involves the mass killing of humans as well as animals!

p.s. - isn't it really strange that the person in the audience who threw the banana peel didn't try to run off afterwards? That seems...so...implausible.
#40 Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchgreatheight View Post

She's against vegetarianism because she's against agriculture, so, in all fairness, you can hardly claim that she's a speciesist: her thesis involves the mass killing of humans as well as animals!

Well, she's against vegetarianism for more than agriculture. In her books she discusses how vegan are lacking in specific nutrients in the brain which does not allow us to think properly, further that her specific supposed disease is a direct result of veganism. She seems to attack veg*ism on all possible fronts.

Quote:

p.s. - isn't it really strange that the person in the audience who threw the banana peel didn't try to run off afterwards? That seems...so...implausible.

Yes, this is what I noticed too.

I believe everything.
#41 Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

#42 Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Some people simply have no shame
#43 Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/201...5/18641159.php good retort to her book

Hey, that is a good retort. Thanks.

I believe everything.
#44 Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Yes, in the very poor swedish translation, but still. Read the whole thing with the hope to be seriously provoced. It started off pretty well and she does make a good job of questioning farming altogether. And yes, she does point to another way of doing it that isn't vegan that might very well be sustainable. Thus far she had me frustrated and provoced, a little shaken even. In fact, I liked this part so much I want to take it aside from the rest because then she just goes nuts and loses most of it in the following chapters. In the end she comes up with a "solution" to the world's problems that envolves shrinking the human population to about 10 million... that's when it becomes silly, which is sad becuase she was off to a good start. Basically, if she hadn't been so totally against all parts of civilization her book would have been very interesting.

There are other flaws as well. She uses herself as a reference point all the time but does not provide any exact info on what she actually ate and how she lived but between the lines we can guess that she lived off only locally grown vegetables, a diet that wasn't only vegan but essentially fat free. The whole thing turned into anorexia at one point and she nearly killed herself. Starting to eat more normally saved her life and that story is her own and touching to read and I have nothing to say against her finding a way to live that means she can actually live.

This woman has very high ideals and she is for the most part fighting the same fight againast the same enemies as we do, maybe she's taking the fight even more seriously. She's not really helping the meat industry or anit-vegan lobby. If these people actually read her book they'd probably steer clear of this die-hard feminist/anarchist/activist.

And yes, I read the book becasue I want to be provoced, I want my ideas to be questioned. If for some reason I end up not believing in what I used to believe then that's that and I'll change my mind. I've been ready to change my mind on being vegetarian for over 25 years, it just hasn't happened yet.

And listening to this makes the whole thing seem so utterly stupid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woFD8...eature=related
#45 Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the pie throwing was stupid........it should have been a brick.
#46 Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje View Post

And listening to this makes the whole thing seem so utterly stupid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woFD8...eature=related

It makes her seem utterly stupid. How about stereotype a whole group of people and a movement, based on the actions of a few people... Hey, look I know omnivores doing really terrible things, not eating appropriate things and having physical issues because of it, this must mean Lierre Keith does too!

I don't agree with the pieing and while I have some sympathy for her situation, to blame the entire group of vegans or vegetarians on the actions of 3 people (who may or may not have been vegan or vegetarian) is intellectually dishonest and pathetic in my not so humble opinion. It makes me have even more dislike for her and her work and I call into question more-so what she's written after listening to that.

I believe everything.
#47 Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the whole thing was staged by her. Damn funny too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#48 Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular

A pie? Really? I mean, I'm glad it wasn't with a gun or something, but a freaking pie? Why not throw a banana peel into the isle for someone to slip on.

ETA: Someone actually did throw a banana peel?!
#49 Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:

It makes her seem utterly stupid. How about stereotype a whole group of people and a movement, based on the actions of a few people...

I agree with you but this is what happens. She wins when some idiots do stuff like this.
#50 Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

She only "wins" if she get vegans to become ex-vegans.
#51 Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

I think it should have been a few hairs torn from someone's arse. Because then it would have been very similar to her argumentation.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#52 Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with calling the police at an anarchist event?

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#53 Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with calling the police at an anarchist event?

agreed :P

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#54 Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That aspect of it made me laugh so much!! She is piece of work for sure!
#55 Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That aspect of it made me laugh so much!! She is piece of work for sure!
#56 Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Avocado View Post

They would of done better if they had grilled her during the question and answer period or found some 'dirt' on her to deliver in front of a captive audience.

I like the sound of that, but perhaps it would make more sense to do the latter before burning her to death in one of George Foreman's lean mean fat reducing machines
#57 Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Beginner

An ex-vegetarian actually told me to read that book.....
#58 Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not a fan of fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Yes, that's what her book is about: the reasons why she quit being a vegan and why veganism is 'wrong'.

and that it is "self destructive".

Quote:

In terms of why she is no longer vegan, supposedly she has some kind of degenerative spinal condition which she blames on her vegan diet. I have a difficult time believing it as well as a difficult time believing she was ever vegan. It sounds like one of those "I was vegan, I know and understand your insanity" type positions and look at my badge of honor which I will blame on a vegan diet. She may very well have a degenerative spinal condition, however, if it has anything to do with her diet (not that it's even clear that it is), then it seems she didn't research her diet properly and so the fault lies with her choices, and has little to do with the diet. It's like a deficiency in Vitamin C and blaming omnivorism for it.

Nothing a little animal flesh pumped with steroids cannot fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

We kan haz propurr speling an grammur plz? kthnxbai

Thermostat kat iz not maed ov monies put on a swetter!!

Quote:

+1

Quote:

She only "wins" if she get vegans to become ex-vegans.

which, sadly, I am sure some vegetarians and vegans are stupid enough to believe.

People like her make me sick. And I love how she is using the whole "No matter what you eat, something had to die excuse" sorry, I forgot my lettuce screams when I tear it out of the ground, sorry that my diet could prevent world hunger if everyone else followed it, sorry I am not a wild animal and I do not need meet to survive. Sorry I care about living breathing animals. Sorry I am not a selfish dirty beast like she is!

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page