VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Animal Issues In The News (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/22-animal-issues-news/)
-   -   Michigan Governor Granholm declares "Michigan Meatout Day" (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/22-animal-issues-news/111290-michigan-governor-granholm-declares-michigan-meatout-day.html)

IamJen 03-17-2010 01:04 PM

It's on the 20th, the day of the Great American Meatout...very cool.

http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7...2493--,00.html

SaladDay 03-17-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

It's on the 20th, the day of the Great American Meatout...very cool.

http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7...2493--,00.html

*Sigh* My fellow Michiganders absolutely despise Gov. Granholm - I'm not sure why, I think she has her moments (case in point!) - but they'll rebel against any position she takes. OMG the whining that went on after she signed into law a smoking ban in restaurants and workplaces... you guys should have heard it... whine whine whine, that's all anyone ever does in this state, LOL.

Michigan is one of the of the unhealthiest states in the entire nation, and we LOVE our Midwestern meaty garbage. This is not going to go over well. Hee hee, I can't wait...

saxyphonist 03-17-2010 02:42 PM

Sometimes I forget how conservative Michigan can be since I live in Ann Arbor. We practically have our own bible belt.

But good for Granholm.

fadeaway1289 03-17-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladDay View Post

*Sigh* My fellow Michiganders absolutely despise Gov. Granholm - I'm not sure why, I think she has her moments (case in point!) - but they'll rebel against any position she takes. OMG the whining that went on after she signed into law a smoking ban in restaurants and workplaces... you guys should have heard it... whine whine whine, that's all anyone ever does in this state, LOL.

Michigan is one of the of the unhealthiest states in the entire nation, and we LOVE our Midwestern meaty garbage. This is not going to go over well. Hee hee, I can't wait...

Lol. I'm a former Michigan resident and a smoker. I thought one of the best things about living there was that I was able to smoke in restaurants and not have to stand out in the cold to smoke after my meals. Yeah unlimited decaf Denny's coffee + cigarettes = not healthy. Also in my city, all the non meat centric restaurants and places that offered healthy food options that would open up would close like 4 months later due to lack of business

It will be interesting to hear how people react towards this.

saxyphonist 03-17-2010 07:02 PM

Not very well at all, according to this article.

Farmrush 03-17-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:
The governor has signed another proclamation also declaring Saturday as Michigan Agriculture Day, praising Michigan's agriculture industry, and asking people to include in their diets a healthy measure of meat products made in Michigan.

sigh..

New England Vegan 03-18-2010 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

God, country and meat.

SaladDay 03-18-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Sometimes I forget how conservative Michigan can be since I live in Ann Arbor. We practically have our own bible belt.

For real, when I go to Ann Arbor I feel like I'm in another country. It's not even fair. Ann Arbor's an intelligent, happy, sunshiny paradise (well, aside from some of the student bars you guys have, I have a rage stroke whenever I'm within 50 yards of Scorekeepers, lol).

Yamato 03-18-2010 09:38 AM

Is the meatout day still happening? Sounds like she was taking a beating from Agriculture industry and the republicans.

sosoy 03-18-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:
"What?," exclaimed State Senator Ron Jelinek, "The governor is encouraging people not to eat Michigan meats?"

"Excuse me, governor, this is like telling people not to buy Fords or Chevys that are made in Michigan," added Jelinek.

Plus, reducing heart disease will hurt Michigan's biomedical research industry. Why does our governor hate Michigan?!

SaladDay 03-18-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoy View Post

Plus, reducing heart disease will hurt Michigan's biomedical research industry. Why does our governor hate Michigan?!

Ol' Jenny hates everything except for unions and raising taxes, haven't you heard?

From the article:

Quote:
And she says the need is urgent to fund the Pure Michigan tourism campaign as television ad schedules fill up. She says April is already gone and May, when people are making summer travel plans, is slipping away.

Those Pure Michigan ads are a riot. They play them all the time here, and I think they also play them in Chicago and NE Ohio, too. They have the music from The Cider House Rules and Tim Allen does the voiceover. They're super cheesy.

fadeaway1289 03-18-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladDay View Post

For real, when I go to Ann Arbor I feel like I'm in another country. It's not even fair. Ann Arbor's an intelligent, happy, sunshiny paradise (well, aside from some of the student bars you guys have, I have a rage stroke whenever I'm within 50 yards of Scorekeepers, lol).

I lived in Michigan for 6 years and visited Ann Arbor once. It really was like a whole other world! Unfortunately I visited right before I moved out of the state. Had I known of it's awesomeness within the 6 yrs I lived there I totally would've moved there.

SaladDay 03-19-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I lived in Michigan for 6 years and visited Ann Arbor once. It really was like a whole other world! Unfortunately I visited right before I moved out of the state. Had I known of it's awesomeness within the 6 yrs I lived there I totally would've moved there.

I wanted to move there, but I couldn't justify the hour commute to work

IamJen 03-20-2010 07:01 AM

<<catches up and is compelled to use this smiley yet again:

When will people learn that meat is not the only source of protein? And geezus petes, now the Guv is somehow unsupportive of her state because she suggested vegetarianism for one damn day? Oi.

Marie 03-20-2010 05:53 PM

The whole thing was weird. You'd think she asked people to slaughter their first born children.

IamJen 03-20-2010 06:29 PM

No doubt. Being an election year makes the crazies even crazier, me thinks.

Caitlin Rose 03-21-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoy View Post

LOL ... actually, maybe that's not funny. Sometimes I think politicians and CEO's really think like that. Why doesn't the American Cancer Society tell people to stop eating meat? Maybe because it's run by the same people that profit off of "managing" cancer instead of preventing it.

Not to change the subject, but thought I'd share this: http://www.preventcancer.com/losing/...iest_links.htm

Christine2809 03-22-2010 12:16 PM

I'm not a fan of the American Cancer Society. The China Study did that for me.

And I feel like this is weirdly obvious somehow, about all the criticism towards Granholm. Don't people stop to think "hey, she's getting all this backlash for caring more about our health than our agricultural profits. That's a good thing!" I guess not... It's just that the ag companies aren't even pretending that it's not about money. I think that's so bold, and really shows how evil they are.