Hellman's/Best Foods to start using cage-free eggs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I just saw a commercial for Best Foods mayo and at the end they mentioned that it was now made with cage-free eggs. So, I looked it up and it is only in their lite version for now. They are trying to switch over all of their products.

I know it still isn't cruelty free, but the commercial was shown during the day on a major station. Hopefully it will get people to look into what they meant by cage-free and will open the eyes of a lot of people as to what is going on in the egg industry.

This will hopefully be a big blow to the caged egg industry as they are a huge company. In one article is mentions that they use approximately 3.5 million pounds of eggs.

Quote:
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Feb. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of its ongoing commitment to "Real Food" using simple ingredients, Hellmann's® America's favorite mayonnaise brand today announced that its Light Mayonnaise recipe in North America will feature 100% certified cage-free eggs in the United States.

"Hellmann's® is made from real, simple ingredients vinegar, oils rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6, and eggs," said Jamey Fish, Hellmann's senior brand manager. "Hellmann's® understands that people are increasingly attuned to what's in their food and where it comes from and that's why Hellmann's® Light is now moving to 100% cage-free eggs, keeping with the brand's commitment to 'Real Food' using simple ingredients."

With the same great taste but half the fat and calories of Real mayonnaise, Hellmann's® Light is the brand's second most popular selling recipe and will be the first in the Hellmann's® line to contain cage-free eggs. The product is rolling out in stores now. Hellmann's® intends to change all its mayonnaise products to cage-free eggs over time....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-85190977.html

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Hopefully it will get people to look into what they meant by cage-free and will open the eyes of a lot of people as to what is going on in the egg industry.

I don't think it will though. Cage free is not an improvement for the hens. In most cases it is just as bad, or even worse. Instead of looking into it, the average consumer will take this as a license to continue on in ignorant bliss, satisfied to let the company tell them what they want to hear.

It'll be a good excuse for raising their prices for the product though. That's all the term "cage free" is really used for. To fool the customer into thinking it is better for the hens, and therefore justifies the higher cost. The perfect scam.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Hellman. The name says it all.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Since a great many people don't understand what "cage free" means, it could inspire some curiousity and research into the egg industry, which is a good thing.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I don't think it will though. Cage free is not an improvement for the hens. In most cases it is just as bad, or even worse. Instead of looking into it, the average consumer will take this as a license to continue on in ignorant bliss, satisfied to let the company tell them what they want to hear.

It'll be a good excuse for raising their prices for the product though. That's all the term "cage free" is really used for. To fool the customer into thinking it is better for the hens, and therefore justifies the higher cost. The perfect scam.

Unfortunately, this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Since a great many people don't understand what "cage free" means, it could inspire some curiousity and research into the egg industry, which is a good thing.

I hope some people do. I really hope so. but, the majority of people probably wont.
#6 Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:

totally....I think I am the only person on the planet that has always hated mayo and miracle whip....ick!!
#7 Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

I hope some people do. I really hope so. but, the majority of people probably wont.

Yeah. I wish I could be that optimistic. I'd probably be a lot happier.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

cage free eggs sounds so strange to me, like maybe the eggs are cage free, but the chickens aren't..?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#9 Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:

+1 on this!

It was initially Jamie Oliver's free range chicken campaign that got me researching conditions and going veg. I'm sure that wasn't his intention at all

It's not going to make an impression on many but it might get a few people thinking and delving deeper...
#10 Old 02-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

How many people have no idea mayonnaise is made from eggs? Now they do.
#11 Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

How many people have no idea mayonnaise is made from eggs? Now they do.

People don't?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#12 Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

People don't?

In my experience, I've always been amazed at how many people have no clue about the ingredients of many household items.
#13 Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't find out until college that mayonaise was made from eggs. But my family never ate it growing up.
#14 Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know for a long time, until one day I saw them make it on a cooking show.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#15 Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I always thought mayonaise was made from a giant mountain troll's saliva. The troll's name was Hank.

eta:

Nah, I just made that up. His name was really Frankie. And he had a good taste in top hats.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#16 Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

There seems to be a bit of cage-free discussions going on.

I'm glad eggs no longer kept in cages. I'm glad people are finally considering the rights of eggs.

I believe everything.
#17 Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

We used to tell a slumber party story about mayonnaise really coming from some guy squeezing his pimples into mayonnaise jars.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#18 Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I'm glad people are finally considering the rights of eggs.

I guess they're the same people who "raise beef".

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#19 Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We used to tell a slumber party story about mayonnaise really coming from some guy squeezing his pimples into mayonnaise jars.

Some things I wish I could unread.

I believe everything.
#20 Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, that's horrible. Lol.

I like your new avatar Nog.
#21 Old 02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't know. Mayo does rival pus in terms of grossness.

I like the avatar too, although it was a bit of a shock at first. No more Mr. Spock!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#22 Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I like the avatar too, although it was a bit of a shock at first. No more Mr. Spock!

I'm trying out a new one, perhaps that avatar will be back again.

I believe everything.
#23 Old 02-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's a great story. Its got a haunted house and its full of suspense, til you get to the anti-climactic ending of course.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#24 Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's a great story. Its got a haunted house and its full of suspense, til you get to the anti-climactic ending of course.

I believe everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page