Stop Eating Meat and Save the Planet? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Delegates arriving at the gates of the climate conference in Copenhagen last month were met by women in furry animal suits holding placards showing pictures of lambs, cows and pigs and warning, “Don’t Eat Me.”

The women were representatives of Ching Hai, the leader of a group that advocates adherence to Buddhist precepts, including following vegan or vegetarian diets.

As they lined up for hours in freezing conditions, many of the delegates seemed grateful for the neatly wrapped snacks — meat-free sandwiches — that the women were handing out free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/bu...t-green25.html

Quote:

Certainly the issue may be more nuanced than some commentators have suggested.

For example, cattle fed on grass may have much lower carbon footprints than those fed in feedlots because animals in pasture lands require fewer fossil fuel-based inputs like fertilizers and because they help the soil sequester carbon.

Uhhhh.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Would, for example, wild herbivores and termite mounds take over many of these environments, and end up producing as much greenhouse gases as domestic ruminants? Mr. Seré asked. We frankly dont, and cant, know that yet.

Yeah, those termite mounds and wild herbivores are going to willingly move into your factory farms and manage to produce just as much greenhouse gasses and waste. I believe you.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I could see how "free range" cows would have a lower carbon footprint than factory farm cows. Having no cows at all would have an even lower carbon footprint, though.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page