Vegetarians Who Eat Meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

You have got to be kidding me! This is what I woke up to this morning.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/228720?GT1=43002#CommentBox

Vegetarians do not eat meat. They most certainly do not eat corn dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, in all fairness, I have eaten veggie corn dogs before.

I really hate the term 'flexitarian'. Ugh! So annoying! Vegetarians that 'cheat once in a while' aren't really vegetarians.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

How sad and insulting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Beginner

I also just happened upon this article and was completely disgusted! 'Vegetarians' who justify themselves and keep the same moral standards because the beef is grass fed?? What a joke! The last line about eating the caged chicken to put it out of its misery is really the kicker!
#5 Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I love how they have 'born agian carnivores' saying that eating meat is not ethically wrong.

#6 Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Well, alot of people become vegetarian and vegan as they oppose the treatment rather than the kill and use, it is perfectly consistent with one who hold such view to consume meat and other animal products which they consider ethically suitable.
#7 Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUCH! View Post

Well, alot of people become vegetarian and vegan as they oppose the treatment rather than the kill and use, it is perfectly consistent with one who hold such view to consume meat and other animal products which they consider ethically suitable.

^ Yup. When I went vegetarian it was from a lack of convenient "cruelty-free" options, not because I took issue with animal slaughter. I was actually just going vegetarian until I started raising my own livestock for food. I feel a bit differently about it now though...to say the least. Speaking to vegans at VB (and watching Earthlings) changed my mind about the practice of raising animals just to kill them.
#8 Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The article is totally stupid.

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I just read this on MSN right now. What a load of B.S.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#10 Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

The article is totally stupid.

I hate the way they always refer to lapsed vegetarians as having gone over "to the dark side"...for some reason it drives me absolutely nuts.
#11 Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUCH! View Post

Vegetarians maybe, but not vegans. You're not vegan if you are not opposed to all use, regardless of the conditions under which use is made.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think every time somebody stops being a vegetarian, especially somebody well known like Mollie Katzen, there are those idiots looking to make a big deal out of it. Like they want to gloat because someone gave in and ate a corn dog. Or to perpetuate the myth that vegetarians "sneak meat" when nobody is looking. Or to say "look, you don't HAVE to be vegetarian, you can eat grass fed beef and still sleep at night!" kind of crap.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I think every time somebody stops being a vegetarian, especially somebody well known like Mollie Katzen, there are those idiots looking to make a big deal out of it. Like they want to gloat because someone gave in and ate a corn dog. Or to perpetuate the myth that vegetarians "sneak meat" when nobody is looking. Or to say "look, you don't HAVE to be vegetarian, you can eat grass fed beef and still sleep at night!" kind of crap.

This.

#14 Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

The comments under the article pisses me off too. Such ignorance in the world. Psh.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#15 Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been meeting more and more people that have been vegetarians for a long time and now eat meat. I always hope that I don't make that switch back. My boyfriend was buying local sausage from a woman who had her own farm and raised her own pigs. I think its a start from factory farming. Anyway, she said she was a vegan for 26 years, but now eats the pork she produces. I have no idea how I could ever do that. For me, to raise an animal, have it trust me, then kill it for food would be the ultimate act of betrayal.

I do think that there is sort of a step ladder, and I don't equate factory farms with locally and humanely (up until slaughter) animals, or hunting. I think quality of life up until a quick death is very important and I'd prefer more humanely raised animals (again, not an ultimate solution, but a huge step in the right direction). But anyway, I would still find it very difficult to again eat meat after being a vegan for so much time. I get annoyed sometimes that I love to cook and my options are limited by veganism, but the thought of eating meat again creeps me out. A quick trip to the Farm Sanctuary would straighten me out. ;D

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#16 Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Dumb-de-dumb-dumb-duuuuuumb!
#17 Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Next, Newsweek will bravely report on the rising phenomenon of Virgins Who Have Sex.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#18 Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Next, Newsweek will bravely report on the rising phenomenon of Virgins Who Have Sex.

Don't you know it doesn't count if there is no PIV action? Duh....

#19 Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Was Mollie Katzen a vegetarian or a pescetarian? Because my mom has some of her Moosewood books and I believe that some of the recipes use sealife. I may be wrong about that, however...

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#20 Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Was Mollie Katzen a vegetarian or a pescetarian? Because my mom has some of her Moosewood books and I believe that some of the recipes use sealife. I may be wrong about that, however...

Yes, some of the recipes do contain seafood.
#21 Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

No mention here of how the animals are brought to slaughterhouses. Or how their slaughtered. If these ex-vegetarians want to be more "primal" let them eat road kill. Better yet, drop them off in the woods to forage for leftover carcasses, then walk home 'cause a car wouldn't be primal. Maybe they should build themselves huts, and quit office jobs. Pound grain into flour with stones. Use clay ovens.

I hate when people talk about how we're supposed to eat meat. I can understand the need of our ancestors, but their entire existence had different needs. Nobody ever talks how we're not designed for technology, or any other modern convienence.

With increased acceptance of a veg**n life, there's increased backlash. Promoting ethical meat as an alternive is a dangerous thing. Esp. without regulation.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#22 Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

No mention here of how the animals are brought to slaughterhouses. Or how their slaughtered. If these ex-vegetarians want to be more "primal" let them eat road kill. Better yet, drop them off in the woods to forage for leftover carcasses, then walk home 'cause a car wouldn't be primal.

Yeah it's really laughable how people's ideas of being natural and primal like our noble-savage ancestors involve eating chicken from KFC, rather than picking up rocks and eating the grubs out from under them. That's the kind of primal animal consumption humans are really suited to. Bite-sized critters who can't run away or defend themselves, who are abundant and easy to find under rocks or in rotting trees.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#23 Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post

How sad and insulting.

exactly....makes me sicker....ick!!
#24 Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yeah it's really laughable how people's ideas of being natural and primal like our noble-savage ancestors involve eating chicken from KFC, rather than picking up rocks and eating the grubs out from under them. That's the kind of primal animal consumption humans are really suited to. Bite-sized critters who can't run away or defend themselves, who are abundant and easy to find under rocks or in rotting trees.

I agree - totally ridiculous. I'm willing to debate about biological evolution with regards to human omnivorism...at least that makes some sort of sense...but the primal urge to hunt down a Big Mac? Please.
#25 Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

since I am new to vegeterian living I am slowly getting meat out of my diet and cutting down the intake. Just today we went to Golden Corral for breakfast/lunch I had a omlet and with veggies and then pancakes and waffles and something else I forgot. Then I had to keep the sweet part of the breakfast down so I just got a small part of fried chicken and mashed tators I had to do this to keep the food down I ate previously. When I go back home I am going on a fast.
#26 Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

since I am new to vegeterian living I am slowly getting meat out of my diet and cutting down the intake. Just today we went to Golden Corral for breakfast/lunch I had a omlet and with veggies and then pancakes and waffles and something else I forgot. Then I had to keep the sweet part of the breakfast down so I just got a small part of fried chicken and mashed tators I had to do this to keep the food down I ate previously. When I go back home I am going on a fast.

No offense, but binging and fasting is really unhealthy for you, whether or not you eat meat. That sounds like a lot of food for one sitting...maybe if you tried spreading out your meals throughout the day you wouldn't feel sick?
#27 Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

Holy moses! What? You ate all of that in one sitting? Maybe you weren't full after your breakfast because your body was starved of nutrients. At least you had one serving of veggies, maybe two. :/ This is why there is obese people whose bodies are starving. Cakes, tofu, and French fries aren't going to give you many nutrients, but it will give you calories, all right.
#28 Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Beginner

The final paragraph leads me to believe that the author was attempting to criticize the relapsed vegetarians rather than glorify them. Although previous statements made by the author kind of make me want to strangle her. Particularly the part about cheating. All that does is reinforce the belief that vegetarians/vegans are self-riteous jerk-faces who can't stand to practice what they preach. If this was, in fact, an attempt to 'call out' relapsed vegetarians, the author completely failed. Completely.
#29 Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

And again, as Kellye said, no offense, but if these are the things you're used to eating, I think if you try to fast one day, you'll binge that night or the next day. If you want to cut the crap out of your diet, cut out added salt and fried foods and other excess fat.
#30 Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I have never seen or heard any good reason to start eating meat.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page