Vegetarians Who Eat Meat - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Beginner

I decided a long time ago to let people live their own lives and make their own decisions. Trying to force/coerce/guilt people into actions has proved historically to be a bad practice. I will educate , that is all. If, after sharing some of the things I have learned, some people want to cut down on eating animals, or hopefully give them up altogether, blessed be. I think that any meal without animals is a small succeess, so even if an omni engages in a meat free day a week, at least it is a start. At least it has them thinking about what they are putting into their bodies.

Of course the goal is animal free, but I will take a "Flexitarian" over a non thinking omni any day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUCH! View Post

Well, alot of people become vegetarian and vegan as they oppose the treatment rather than the kill and use, it is perfectly consistent with one who hold such view to consume meat and other animal products which they consider ethically suitable.

But if you eat meat, you're not veggie. Simple as that. So it's quite a stupid article.
#63 Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl22 View Post

I decided a long time ago to let people live their own lives and make their own decisions. Trying to force/coerce/guilt people into actions has proved historically to be a bad practice. I will educate , that is all. If, after sharing some of the things I have learned, some people want to cut down on eating animals, or hopefully give them up altogether, blessed be. I think that any meal without animals is a small succeess, so even if an omni engages in a meat free day a week, at least it is a start. At least it has them thinking about what they are putting into their bodies.

Of course the goal is animal free, but I will take a "Flexitarian" over a non thinking omni any day!

What is a flexitarian? I'm not being awkward, I really don't know! am I right in thinking it's someone who flips between veg*nism and meat eating? Or is conscious of the meat they eat and where t comes from, so shops ethically for it and eats less? My OH used to eat meat maybe once a week.. Because of the way I was brought up, I cooked it every day. For almost three years he has nagged at me because he thought we ate too much red meat. He can't eat chicken, as he thinks it's disgusting the way birds are treated, and doesn't believe any chicken is happy when being bred for meat. Meat always had to be uber lean good cuts. Now that I have become vegan (I think!) he is happy that there is no meat around. However, he has said he'd still like it occassionally, and he enjoys fish more so would like that at odd times. However, he has specifically asked for Tofu tonight, I made General Tao's Tofu last week and he loved it, so I don't mind that. What does this make him?

I'd also say that I agree with the you when you say not to coerce people. By eating good tasty food, and occassionally saying things like "Do you know what happens to male chicks in egg production?" it has got him thinking a lot more than he did already! I told my daughter that there is fish stabiliser in her favourite soft drink. I didn't tell her she couldn't have it. Guess what? She asked for organic juice instead.

I wonder if kids were taught what they were eating in school cooking lessons instead of cooking with lard like my daughter was expected to do today, if more teens would be vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
I wonder if kids were taught what they were eating in school cooking lessons instead of cooking with lard like my daughter was expected to do today,

What are they trying to promote at your daughters school, you would expect them to use sunflower oil or olive oil, no wonder so many youngsters are so overweight if they are being taught frying in lard is normal just out of interest did her teacher inform the class that lard is pig fat?
#65 Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope! I posted a thread about this in Raising Vegetarian Children. My children are not vegetarian, yet, but I'm working on it. Actually, this is a COOKIE recipe she bought home. I have only been vegetarian for 3 weeks - and even before that I would've been disgusted. We haven't used lard in our cooking at home EVER. So I find it abhorrent that we are expected to buy it and send it in to school. IT's just so unnecessary. No, she had no idea it was pig fat. She knows now though! I've called the school to speak to the head of that department and am waiting for them to call me back. She's 12 - there's time to re-educate her! lol x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page