Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Banned

No I don't actually eat like that LOL I will never again LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Totally ridiculous... what are we coming to ?

"Flexitarians", or whatever they're called, are not vegetarians. Period.
#33 Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Actually, at the end of the article, the author writes: "While it's true that sustainably raised, grass-fed beef may be better for the consumer, it's hard to argue that it's ultimately better for the cow. What these steak apologists seem to be missing is that no matter how "lovingly" the cow was raised, no matter how much grazing or rooting he did in his life, he gave up that life to become their dinner." Give her credit: she does point out that "happy meat" isn't all that happy in the end. I think even her tongue-in-cheek statement at the very end (about how eating a battery-raised, factory- farmed animal would at least be a form of mercy-killing) made as much sense as most of what meat apologists say.

All too many of these articles about former vegetarians who make peace with their inner carnivore (that is, cave in to meat cravings) take this bizarre tone about how liberated they feel. ("I'M FREE!! I'M FREEEEEEEEEE! I CAN EAT YUMMY FOOD AGAIN! AAAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!) (I exaggerate only slightly). Well... some of us vegetarians never lost our appetite for animal flesh, judging by the way we salivate a tiny bit when we smell meat cooking. In fact, I think mine has gotten a bit stronger since I also dropped egg and milk products. But it's not a physical need!!! It's just a peevish annoyance that a number of foods which I formerly enjoyed are no longer ethically acceptable. My health hasn't been adversely impacted at all... a vitamin B-12 supplement, and occasionally calcium, are all I need.

I'd understand someone going back to omnivore if they had other issues to contend with... diabetes, maybe, or a serious allergy or intolerance to common staples such as wheat. I'm not saying vegetarianism would be physically impossible even then, but it would surely be a damned bother.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think slaughtered cows "gave up their lives." They were murdered/killed. I'm pretty sure they don't want to be killed ....
#35 Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post

The final paragraph leads me to believe that the author was attempting to criticize the relapsed vegetarians rather than glorify them. Although previous statements made by the author kind of make me want to strangle her. Particularly the part about cheating. All that does is reinforce the belief that vegetarians/vegans are self-riteous jerk-faces who can't stand to practice what they preach. If this was, in fact, an attempt to 'call out' relapsed vegetarians, the author completely failed. Completely.

This.

I found the article completely rediculous.
#36 Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post

The final paragraph leads me to believe that the author was attempting to criticize the relapsed vegetarians rather than glorify them. Although previous statements made by the author kind of make me want to strangle her. Particularly the part about cheating. All that does is reinforce the belief that vegetarians/vegans are self-riteous jerk-faces who can't stand to practice what they preach. If this was, in fact, an attempt to 'call out' relapsed vegetarians, the author completely failed. Completely.

I was going to say this, but then you did. It seems like the author was trying to point out the flaw in these people's thinking, but didn't quite do it right. :P
#37 Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What these steak apologists seem to be missing is that no matter how "lovingly" the cow was raised, no matter how much grazing or rooting he did in his life, he gave up that life to become their dinner.

No, that is definitely wrong. They don't "give up" their lives, their lives are stolen from them to feed people's selfish cravings.

I think the end of the article was trying to point out the fact that hey the animal still dies, whether it's "humanely" raised or not. But the part I quoted above just really irritated me cause I don't think the animals would "give up" their lives if they had a choice.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#38 Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Ugh. I should have stopped reading as soon as I came to the stupid corndog line.

Vegetarians don't cheat.

Omnivores sometimes eat veg*n, but veg*n don't sometimes eat omni. I agree, it's like saying that virgins sometimes have sex.
#39 Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I think maybe the hard part comes when one of those veg*ns falls off the wagon and just can't actually admit what happened. Instead of saying, "yeah, I tried to be a vegetarian and I failed" it's much easier for them to redefine what a vegetarian is.

And I hat the redefining of words, especially "vegetarian"
#40 Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonia View Post

Totally ridiculous... what are we coming to ?

"Flexitarians", or whatever they're called, are not vegetarians. Period.

"Flexitarians" are flexible on what type of butchered flesh they consume. Beef one day, pork the next, foul or fish the day after.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#41 Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I don't think slaughtered cows "gave up their lives." They were murdered/killed. I'm pretty sure they don't want to be killed ....

Omnivores ALWAYS phrase it like that though, it makes the whole concept easier to stomach. Same as the cheese and milk with happy smiling cows on them or the happy pig on the neon sign over a barbecue house sticking a fork in himself.

Denial is a funny thing, it's weird watching people actively trying to trick themselves into believing their KFC chicken loved having their throats cut and getting the honor of being breaded and deep fried.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#42 Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Veggie Regular

An article about flexitarianism without mention of the most famous, pioneering flexitarian in history, Adolf Hitler? Pathetic.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#43 Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
What these steak apologists seem to be missing is that no matter how "lovingly" the cow was raised, no matter how much grazing or rooting he did in his life, he gave up that life to become their dinner.

This, to me, seems to be the key point.

There are vegetarians that stop eating meat just because they refuse to advocate the horrible conditions of animals being raised for meat. Some people are okay with the fact that the animals they eat had good lives up until they were slaughtered for meat... others aren't. They aren't vegetarians, though, of course. But they are conscious eaters.

The only problem I might have with this idea is if these people were claiming to be vegetarians. That's just wrong... but I guess that's where the "flexitarians" term comes in (which I think is a load of crap, personally... an omnivore's an omnivore, people!). At least they're doing their research and doing their part in supporting animal rights as much as they possibly can, realistically, in their own daily lives. Y'know?

It's much better than the people who eat cheap, processed, "immoral" meats from McDonald's and Burger King.
#44 Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

It annoys me that the author referred to cows as "he".
#45 Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a problem with the flexitarian label - to me it just describes a person who is attempting to reduce the amount of meat in their diet, but not restrict it entirely. Which is still a more commendable position than not giving a **** at all.
#46 Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Beginner

I agree with Kellye - I respect anyone's efforts to reduce the amount of animal products that they consume (although i'm not a fan of the label "flexitarian").
#47 Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferringer View Post

I agree with Kellye - I respect anyone's efforts to reduce the amount of animal products that they consume (although i'm not a fan of the label "flexitarian").

I think the word itself is dumb, but it rolls off the tongue better than omnivore-trying-to-reduce-intake-of-animal-products.
#48 Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I think the word itself is dumb, but it rolls off the tongue better than omnivore-trying-to-reduce-intake-of-animal-products.

'Omnivore' also rolls off the tongue better than 'omnivore-trying-to-reduce-intake-of-animal-products', although it doesn't do as good a job in serving the craving some people have for a trendy dietary identity.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#49 Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

'Omnivore' also rolls off the tongue better than 'omnivore-trying-to-reduce-intake-of-animal-products', although it doesn't do as good a job in serving the craving some people have for a trendy dietary identity.

But there is a significant difference (with regards to the amount of animal product consumed) between an omnivore who eats meat twice a day and an omnivore who eats meat twice a year. An example would be Lex's mother, who typically eats a vegetarian diet, but ate turkey for the holidays.

I think the latter omnivore is much closer to a vegetarian than anything else, though they certainly aren't a vegetarian either, obviously. So while I think the word flexitarian is dumb, I don't begrudge someone who is trying to reduce their consumption of animal products a word to clarify their position. To me it's like pescatarian - I understand what it means, so I don't really care if people call themselves that. If they want to call themselves vegetarians, I have a problem with that, because it isn't true. Flexitarians can't truthfully call themselves vegetarians either.

And they don't necessarily have to be reducing their consumption of animal products to follow the herd either - lots of people do it for environmental or health reasons. Some do it for ethical reasons, but are just in a transitional stage on the road to vegetarianism or veganism.

ETA: I do think the label sounds faddish though, so if I was a flexitarian, I probably wouldn't call myself that - just explain to briefly to interested people that I'm trying to cut back on meat.
#50 Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Omnivores ALWAYS phrase it like that though, it makes the whole concept easier to stomach. Same as the cheese and milk with happy smiling cows on them or the happy pig on the neon sign over a barbecue house sticking a fork in himself.

Denial is a funny thing, it's weird watching people actively trying to trick themselves into believing their KFC chicken loved having their throats cut and getting the honor of being breaded and deep fried.

Ever see the site suicidefood.blogspot.com?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#51 Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Ever see the site suicidefood.blogspot.com?

Yes! A lot of the images on that site were going through my mind as I wrote that post actually. MESSED UP STUFF.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#52 Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yes! A lot of the images on that site were going through my mind as I wrote that post actually. MESSED UP STUFF.

Yeah, really makes you think what the eff people were thinking.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#53 Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

There are so many reasons why people start to be vegetarian.

And there are also a lot of reasons why they start eating meat again.

But those reasons are not to be proud of (unless it is the only way to save your life).

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#54 Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

I am looking into vegetarian living because of health issues. However, since my husband is still an Omni I made agreement a few times a week to eat a meat meal with him. There is only a few things we eat. However I am not wanting to be called a flexaterian because that don't look right. Right now since I am in learning process I am trying different methods of Vegetarian meals and foods. Once I have a plan I am going to go on a strict one.
#55 Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I understand that your husband wants to continue eating meat but why do you have to eat meat with him? Can't he do it himself?
#56 Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

I am looking into vegetarian living because of health issues. However, since my husband is still an Omni I made agreement a few times a week to eat a meat meal with him. There is only a few things we eat. However I am not wanting to be called a flexaterian because that don't look right. Right now since I am in learning process I am trying different methods of Vegetarian meals and foods. Once I have a plan I am going to go on a strict one.

So, he's not happy unless YOU eat meat? I'm not getting it.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#57 Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

... I am not wanting to be called a flexaterian because that don't look right. Right now since I am in learning process ...

Vegetarian in trainig? Vegetarian nascent?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#58 Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM

#59 Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

from the article:
Quote:
I suddenly woke up to the fact that I had access to meat I feel great about,” says Gabrielle Langholtz, editor of Edible Brooklyn and Edible Manhattan magazines. “I thought all meat was produced in this horrific way, but now I eat some meat raised by my husband or raised on pasture, on green grass under blue sky.

uuuugh! there's no such thing as "happy meat"

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#60 Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Beginner

what a load of crap

Quote:
lovingly raised meat is not as hard to find as [Safran Foer] seems to think—at least not if you have the good fortune to live near a farmers

By that logic every vegetarian should go and shoot their pet in the head and it if they feel like eating meat maybe we should ask this Mollie Katzen how she would feel if a carnivorous person wanted "guilt free meat" at the expense of her pet. And as for this crap about veggies "sneaking meat in" its just what meaties say to try and make them feel better about themselves and you know why they need to makemselves feel better because deep down they know meat eating is wrong, though i don't look down my nose at any meat eater.

basicaly what this articles saying is because this meat is expensive you shouldnt feel bad about eating it well thats just a load of crap, if your a vegetarian you don't eat animals that were once living. Plain and simple.

Quote:
The "primalness" of the meat-eating

- humans have evolved from primates our brains have evolved in a multitude of different ways one being which we have the intelligence to realize we dont need to kill and endanger animals and on occasion our own safety in order to eat. The people who go for this "guilt free meat" arn't vegetarians their just plain stupid and delusional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page