PETA, Ringling Bros. at odds over treatment of baby circus elephants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Sammy Haddock started working with elephants when he joined the circus at 20, in 1976, a young man's dream. He walked them, groomed them, cleaned up after them. More than once, he later confessed, he beat them.

Over time, his feelings about elephants grew more tender, especially toward the babies. In 1997 he was hired to work as a handler at Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey's Center for Elephant Conservation, an ambitious program in Florida to breed and preserve endangered Asian elephants. Part of Haddock's job was to help train elephant calves to be circus performers.

He was deeply affected when 8-month-old Riccardo collapsed with leg injuries after tumbling off a tub during pre-training in 2004. Riccardo had to be euthanized. Haddock also began to see things from the point of view of his wife, Millie, an animal lover.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot

This was a sad story...especially the defensiveness of the guy from Ringling who continues to claim that they are basically doing the elephants a favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Sick *******s.
#3 Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree, those pictures are sickening.

I just sent my omni coworker a link to this article, and this was her response via email:

Quote:
I knew there was a reason that I didn't like going to the circus. I haven't been to one since I was a kid...about 9 or 10. My kids have never been to one either. The get tickets to those small circuses at school every year, but I never take them. Now I have a good reason to state why I don't go or why I don't take the kids.

(and learning is half the battle!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

"Small circuses at school"? Do they even have animals at those?

--Fromper, former performer at a human-only school circus

<-- On a slack wire
#5 Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

This quote is a gem:

Quote:
Bottom line, says Jacobson: It's not in Ringling's interest to mistreat the elephants. "These things are worth a tremendous amount of money. They're irreplaceable."

www.sharksavers.org
#6 Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 PM

those pics are horrible...I always disliked circuses they are sooo awful and hurtful...makes me angry and wanna cry all at the same time.
#7 Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe74 View Post

This quote is a gem:

Quote:
Bottom line, says Jacobson: It's not in Ringling's interest to mistreat the elephants. "These things are worth a tremendous amount of money. They're irreplaceable."

I agree, Zoe. How very telling.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

How utterly heartbreaking. On the bright side, I just have this feeling that before long, this will be a thing of the past as the word gets out more and more. Let's hope so anyway.
#9 Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM

The stuff they do to those poor babies is unbelievable. We were actually just talking about this the other day in one of my law classes--my professor is an animal lover and vegan herself. We were trying to figure out what legal avenues could be explored to help these little guys, but my class wasn't feeling very creative or helpful to the plight of the circus animals...I hate the fact that people can look at pictures and hear horror stories and then just shrug and go "oh well, nothing I can do about it"

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
#10 Old 12-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

The stuff they do to those poor babies is unbelievable. We were actually just talking about this the other day in one of my law classes--my professor is an animal lover and vegan herself. We were trying to figure out what legal avenues could be explored to help these little guys, but my class wasn't feeling very creative or helpful to the plight of the circus animals...I hate the fact that people can look at pictures and hear horror stories and then just shrug and go "oh well, nothing I can do about it"

That is the true heartbreak of the whole thing...people are apathetic b/c they don't know there's anything they can do. The very least you can do is not go to the circus...if enough people simply made that easy decision, they would go out of business. As Jacobson made so painfully clear in the article, its all about the bottom line.
#11 Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"Small circuses at school"? Do they even have animals at those?

I think they do elephant rides, but I think what my friend meant was that from now on whenever someone mentioned circuses, she could spread the word about how cruelly the elephants are treated, to discourage more people from supporting them.
#12 Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I think they do elephant rides, but I think what my friend meant was that from now on whenever someone mentioned circuses, she could spread the word about how cruelly the elephants are treated, to discourage more people from supporting them.

My point was that not all circuses have animals. Boycotting all circuses doesn't encourage the industry to change - it just makes it seem like circuses are going out of style. Supporting human only circuses while boycotting those with animals sends a stronger message.

--Fromper

#13 Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

I rode an elephant at a circus when I was a little kid, there were about 5 or 6 other kids on the saddle with me and we were all screaming and bouncing around.

I feel SO BAD now that I'm old enough to see what was really going on, if I had known I would have asked my mom to take me to the arcade instead.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

In reply to the email

Wouldn't buying tickets to a circus keep it in business even if you don't go? They don't care if you see it as long as they make money, its going to be in business....

No wonder Elephants are always doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnb9958eEgo

I don't support circuses or even marineland or any of that BS. Dolphins and orcas get distressed as well, they aren't meant to perform they are meant to be WILD and FREE. I even find zoos kind of evil as well....

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#15 Old 12-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Those poor babies! I can't imagine how frightened they must be, having people pulling on them with ropes. I've never been to a circus, never will and neither will my daughter. I think they're just horrible.
#16 Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

awww, I didn't want to see this so I avoided it for days. Just watched and want to cry. That poor baby. Makes me so mad!
#17 Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Wouldn't buying tickets to a circus keep it in business even if you don't go?

She doesn't buy the tickets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page