U.S. school lunch meat does not meet fast food standards - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Yamato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
In the past three years, the government has provided the nation's schools with millions of pounds of beef and chicken that wouldn't meet the quality or safety standards of many fast-food restaurants, from Jack in the Box and other burger places to chicken chains such as KFC, a USA TODAY investigation found.

Read more
Yamato is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Treehugger267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,795
I've read that before and that's exactly why I pack my kiddos lunches. oye!
Treehugger267 is offline  
#3 Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
LilBigBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,914
And everybody thought I was weird because I hated the school lunches. My senior year I basically lived off of the veggie basket, and it was only $0.50. My mom was going through that stupid Atkins diet.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
LilBigBug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
I rarely ever ate the lunch provided by school. I always preferred to pack my lunches. They tasted better.
AddieB is offline  
#5 Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,717
That figures.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#6 Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kellye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

That figures.



Word.



They called it "mystery meat" for a reason, people.
Kellye is offline  
#7 Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
I believe it. Back when I was an omnivore and liked to go to McDonald's, I refused to eat the burgers at my high school cafeteria.
dormouse is offline  
#8 Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,717
My school had a Pizza hut and Panda express, the school really didn't do it's own lunches.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#9 Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Treehugger267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,795
Prison foods, school foods and food for the military gets bid on, the lowest one wins.
Treehugger267 is offline  
#10 Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Where's the link?

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#11 Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
myrtlemaneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 385
My (public) highschool has an AMAZING lunch systems. The meat is all local and grass-fed/free range and there's a vegetarian option that's often vegan every single day, not to mention a huge and mostly organic salad bar every day.

Really stinks for some other people, I love being able to get a yummy hot lunch everyday.
myrtlemaneet is offline  
#12 Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Newbie
 
Julia.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 50
That is sickening to think about that. I ate the cafeterias meat everyday for the past three years up until this year after I turned vegan. I was just telling my friend that wow our food is disgusting. And there is a reason. I cant believe I was so blind to see it. This year I have packed a lunch everyday. Even If I would by food it would make no sense. You have to pay mandatory extra money for milk. Yes milk.



Quote:
My (public) highschool has an AMAZING lunch systems. The meat is all local and grass-fed/free range and there's a vegetarian option that's often vegan every single day, not to mention a huge and mostly organic salad bar every day.

Really stinks for some other people, I love being able to get a yummy hot lunch everyday.



Wow. You got to be kidding me. I am so jealous. That would be so much better then our lunches. An actual organic salad that sounds so good. Or a vegan option! Much better then disgusting pizza, nachos, horrible sandwiches, hamburgers, corn dogs, not so fresh salads at all, and some special item that I do not pay attention to.
Julia.G is offline  
#13 Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Yamato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Where's the link?



Oops! Sorry, I updated the original post with the link.
Yamato is offline  
#14 Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Newbie
 
Solenodon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Nasty. I'm glad I never had lunch at school.
Solenodon is offline  
#15 Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I never ate the lunches from the school cafeteria...Gross!!....I always preferred to bring my own....my Mom made the best Veggie Lunches I was and am sooo lucky!!



Peace
GhostUser is offline  
#16 Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
myrtlemaneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia.G View Post

That is sickening to think about that. I ate the cafeterias meat everyday for the past three years up until this year after I turned vegan. I was just telling my friend that wow our food is disgusting. And there is a reason. I cant believe I was so blind to see it. This year I have packed a lunch everyday. Even If I would by food it would make no sense. You have to pay mandatory extra money for milk. Yes milk.







Wow. You got to be kidding me. I am so jealous. That would be so much better then our lunches. An actual organic salad that sounds so good. Or a vegan option! Much better then disgusting pizza, nachos, horrible sandwiches, hamburgers, corn dogs, not so fresh salads at all, and some special item that I do not pay attention to.





Not kidding, I love it! And as far as lunches go the prices aren't that bad. 3-5 dollars, depending on what it is. We're also an eco-friendly cafeteria, we have compost, unbleached paper napkins, re-usable silverware, trays, plates and bowls. The only thing I hate is that each lunch comes with a free Hood milk. We get them free from the state or something, but come on, Hood? I have to pay an extra dollar to get a vegan drink (organic juice or iced tea lol!)
myrtlemaneet is offline  
#17 Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Newbie
 
Julia.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Not kidding, I love it! And as far as lunches go the prices aren't that bad. 3-5 dollars, depending on what it is. We're also an eco-friendly cafeteria, we have compost, unbleached paper napkins, re-usable silverware, trays, plates and bowls. The only thing I hate is that each lunch comes with a free Hood milk. We get them free from the state or something, but come on, Hood? I have to pay an extra dollar to get a vegan drink (organic juice or iced tea lol!)



Wow! Ausom. I wish I went to your school for that reason. Thats so cool. Good thing I have only one semester left till school ends, then graduate.
Julia.G is offline  
#18 Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I never ate school food, it was all gross.
GhostUser is offline  
#19 Old 12-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580
Ugh, I can't believe I spent 12 years eating that stuff! I did pack for a while my junior and senior year but I probably ate the school lunch for 95% of my school career. We were poor and got the free lunches. Bleh.
Shauna_m is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off