U.S. school lunch meat does not meet fast food standards - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
In the past three years, the government has provided the nation's schools with millions of pounds of beef and chicken that wouldn't meet the quality or safety standards of many fast-food restaurants, from Jack in the Box and other burger places to chicken chains such as KFC, a USA TODAY investigation found.

Read more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read that before and that's exactly why I pack my kiddos lunches. oye!
#3 Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

And everybody thought I was weird because I hated the school lunches. My senior year I basically lived off of the veggie basket, and it was only $0.50. My mom was going through that stupid Atkins diet.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I rarely ever ate the lunch provided by school. I always preferred to pack my lunches. They tasted better.
#5 Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That figures.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

That figures.

Word.

They called it "mystery meat" for a reason, people.
#7 Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe it. Back when I was an omnivore and liked to go to McDonald's, I refused to eat the burgers at my high school cafeteria.
#8 Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

My school had a Pizza hut and Panda express, the school really didn't do it's own lunches.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Prison foods, school foods and food for the military gets bid on, the lowest one wins.
#10 Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Where's the link?

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My (public) highschool has an AMAZING lunch systems. The meat is all local and grass-fed/free range and there's a vegetarian option that's often vegan every single day, not to mention a huge and mostly organic salad bar every day.

Really stinks for some other people, I love being able to get a yummy hot lunch everyday.
#12 Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM

That is sickening to think about that. I ate the cafeterias meat everyday for the past three years up until this year after I turned vegan. I was just telling my friend that wow our food is disgusting. And there is a reason. I cant believe I was so blind to see it. This year I have packed a lunch everyday. Even If I would by food it would make no sense. You have to pay mandatory extra money for milk. Yes milk.

Quote:
My (public) highschool has an AMAZING lunch systems. The meat is all local and grass-fed/free range and there's a vegetarian option that's often vegan every single day, not to mention a huge and mostly organic salad bar every day.

Really stinks for some other people, I love being able to get a yummy hot lunch everyday.

Wow. You got to be kidding me. I am so jealous. That would be so much better then our lunches. An actual organic salad that sounds so good. Or a vegan option! Much better then disgusting pizza, nachos, horrible sandwiches, hamburgers, corn dogs, not so fresh salads at all, and some special item that I do not pay attention to.
#13 Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Where's the link?

Oops! Sorry, I updated the original post with the link.
#14 Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Nasty. I'm glad I never had lunch at school.
#15 Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 PM

I never ate the lunches from the school cafeteria...Gross!!....I always preferred to bring my own....my Mom made the best Veggie Lunches I was and am sooo lucky!!

Peace
#16 Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia.G View Post

That is sickening to think about that. I ate the cafeterias meat everyday for the past three years up until this year after I turned vegan. I was just telling my friend that wow our food is disgusting. And there is a reason. I cant believe I was so blind to see it. This year I have packed a lunch everyday. Even If I would by food it would make no sense. You have to pay mandatory extra money for milk. Yes milk.

Wow. You got to be kidding me. I am so jealous. That would be so much better then our lunches. An actual organic salad that sounds so good. Or a vegan option! Much better then disgusting pizza, nachos, horrible sandwiches, hamburgers, corn dogs, not so fresh salads at all, and some special item that I do not pay attention to.

Not kidding, I love it! And as far as lunches go the prices aren't that bad. 3-5 dollars, depending on what it is. We're also an eco-friendly cafeteria, we have compost, unbleached paper napkins, re-usable silverware, trays, plates and bowls. The only thing I hate is that each lunch comes with a free Hood milk. We get them free from the state or something, but come on, Hood? I have to pay an extra dollar to get a vegan drink (organic juice or iced tea lol!)
#17 Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Not kidding, I love it! And as far as lunches go the prices aren't that bad. 3-5 dollars, depending on what it is. We're also an eco-friendly cafeteria, we have compost, unbleached paper napkins, re-usable silverware, trays, plates and bowls. The only thing I hate is that each lunch comes with a free Hood milk. We get them free from the state or something, but come on, Hood? I have to pay an extra dollar to get a vegan drink (organic juice or iced tea lol!)

Wow! Ausom. I wish I went to your school for that reason. Thats so cool. Good thing I have only one semester left till school ends, then graduate.
#18 Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM

I never ate school food, it was all gross.
#19 Old 12-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I can't believe I spent 12 years eating that stuff! I did pack for a while my junior and senior year but I probably ate the school lunch for 95% of my school career. We were poor and got the free lunches. Bleh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page