Eating a deep fried fish that's still alive. (Warning:Graphic) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 PM

(I got this off the Huff Post but felt it would be of interest to those on the veggieboard concerned about animal rights).

Eating rare delicacies just got to a new level. In China, chefs have figured out a way to keep a fish alive as it gets deep fried and then waits to be eaten.

Below is the video of a deep-fried fish that's still living and moving on a plate. Warning, this may be too graphic for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BYPuLnAscA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my god. That's the the only video of animal cruelty type things that has made me cry. That's disgusting. Why would anyone do that? I feel sick.

It's heartening to see comments from omnis saying how disgusting it is.
#3 Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes the suffering and pain in the world that could just be avoided by simple respect and kindness just overwhelms me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this elsewhere, and could only get to the part where they poke it's mouth to get it to move. I think I might have trouble sleeping tonight.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#5 Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I just flagged the video for violent/repulsive content/animal cruelty. I would urge you to as well. Send a message.
#6 Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

I just flagged the video for violent/repulsive content/animal cruelty. I would urge you to as well. Send a message.

Absolutely. This is just horrid.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#7 Old 11-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont see how that is the slightest bit funny........I can't believe they are laughing. I wish I could deep fry them while I poke at it and eat it. Sick *******s.

ÂBecause the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter
#8 Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Boy those Chinese sure like fresh fish .

I hear they do the same with dogs .

Jk
#9 Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

It still astounds me that people get such pleasure from others' suffering.

I know China isn't one big homogenous culture, but why does this kind of thing seem so prevalent there?
#10 Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I can't watch it. Just reading this makes me sick enough.

All animal cruelty bothers me, but for some reason cruelty to fish makes me most angry. The fact that there are people out there who try to justify that fish don't have feelings is the most heartless thing I've ever heard. How can someone do this to a living being?

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

I think this is enough .....

I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way

La caisse epargne fr | Caisse epargne caisse d'epargne | www caisse epargne
#12 Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I couldn't watch it. wth is wrong w/ people.
#13 Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

It still astounds me that people get such pleasure from others' suffering.

I know China isn't one big homogenous culture, but why does this kind of thing seem so prevalent there?

There are no national animal cruelty laws, and because of the government structure anti-cruelty groups have no power and are often prevented from speaking up in the first place.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#14 Old 11-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

one of my veggie friends sent this link to me yesterday and i sort of wish she hadn't. it's so so terrible. if i remember correctly, people are laughing in the video, too. f-ing sick.
#15 Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Why?! "Oh look, a living creature has been fatally burned, yet is still alive and suffering, how tasty."

#16 Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, this is actually old news and it just brought back memories embedded in my skull that I had completely forgotten about.

I saw a video about this on TV when I was maybe....12ish? And I remember it traumatized me completely and I couldn't stop crying.

My friend saw it with me and she was unaffected and later that night at a sleepover at her house she kept making fun of me by putting her head to the side and bulging her eyes and gasping for air like the fish had done and every time she did it I would burst into tears again, seeing that pain was the worst thing in the world for me.

I became a vegetarian about a year later but I never remembered WHY I did it all this time, I guess I blocked that out. I always assumed I just read something on the internet that made me not want to eat meat or something. Wow.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Beginner

#18 Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd actually recommend *not* reporting the video. As it was said earlier in the thread, even *some* omnis are disgusted with this sort of thing, and having it on youtube for the world to see is a good thing.

Having this available brings shame to those chefs, gourmands, foodies, etc who just have to have whatever is adventurous.
#19 Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend told me about this today. Ugh. It gives me goosebumps.
#20 Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroque View Post

Sometimes the suffering and pain in the world that could just be avoided by simple respect and kindness just overwhelms me...

I completely agree with you... Kindness and respect is something that shouldn't be disregarded as etiquette but used as the first response to others...

Kindest Regards,

VeganTigress

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#21 Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't belive it... When I think that things can't get worse... something worse happens. And people is laughing. This is so sad, sick and frustrating.

:'(
#22 Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

WHY???????? How can someone look into the face of a living being that is in complete agony and pain and feel nothing ? To think of this as laughable? This sort of thing makes me want to go sit somewhere and just stare into space. I just don't understand..
#23 Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

There are no national animal cruelty laws, and because of the government structure anti-cruelty groups have no power and are often prevented from speaking up in the first place.

I get that. But it goes beyond indifference. I can understand growing up in a culture where animals are slaughtered in the open, and seen as something that you eat, not something you bond with and learning to see them as nothing more than a source of food without taking into consideration the fact that they have needs and are capable of suffering.

But this is more like, "hey this creature is sentient and can suffer just like we can! What's the best way to take full advantage of this, plus the fact that it can't even fight back and then make the consumption of it a status symbol like shark fin soup, dog meat, etc.?"

There are many other countries where animal welfare laws just simply don't exist or are not enforced, but animal cruelty mostly seems to occur thanks to plain old apathy or economic reasons, whereas this is getting pleasure from another's suffering - on a systematic level.
#24 Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM

I cried. I cannot believe this is allowed. Makes me so angry.
#25 Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Some things make me wish I weren't part of the human race.
#26 Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockindancer86 View Post

Some things make me wish I weren't part of the human race.

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe how cruel and low people can be. It's bloody insane.
#27 Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not finding this to be very overwhelming, compared to things like MYM and earthlings, but it's still quite gross.

Just goes to show you that people have different opinions regarding animal rights/welfare.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#28 Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 AM

The fact is, some people jsut dont see animals as living beings, they dont understand that they have nervious systems just like us, and that they too feel pain. People so often dont want to belevie this, because their compassion would prevent them from doign such things if they did think it hurt.

Disgusting to see, these people need educating on what they are clearly to dumb to work out for themselves.
#29 Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't watched the video... sounds awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post

The fact is, some people jsut dont see animals as living beings, they dont understand that they have nervious systems just like us, and that they too feel pain. People so often dont want to belevie this, because their compassion would prevent them from doign such things if they did think it hurt.

Yes, that's the case for most people. I know a few people who just don't want to know any facts about the meat industry because it would put them off meat. I don't know how anyone could not want to know the truth. If the information is available, then i want it.
#30 Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

There are no words.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page