Its legal in NZ to kill cook and eat pitbulls - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090816/...g-41f21e0.html

A man in New Zealand who cooked his pet dog will not be charged as it is legal to do so.

Paea Taufu, a Tongan-born man living in Auckland New Zealand was in the process of roasting his pitbull terrier-cross in a traditional Umu pit-barbecue when animal protection inspectors arrived to investigate.

They were called by a concerned member of the public on Sunday but arrived too late for the animal.

They were called by a concerned member of the public on Sunday but arrived too late for the animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Banned

its legal to kill and eat dog in canada too, as long as you do so in a way deemed appropriate by the food safety peeps.
#3 Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Kinda seems to me that would be a pretty easy law to get changed if there was a public will to do so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM

wouldn't it promote speciesism to have a law specifically preventing this?

#5 Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm speechless, other than wtf and "f" rarely leaves my lips. Sick!
#6 Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM

It's sad and disgusts me, but is it any different than eating a chicken, cow, fish, pig, or any other animal?
#7 Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

It's sad and disgusts me, but is it any different than eating a chicken, cow, fish, pig, or any other animal?

No different...I'm sure they are all terrified on the same level when people are trying to hurt them.
#8 Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

No different...I'm sure they are all terrified on the same level when people are trying to hurt them.

and feel the same pain.
#9 Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

This dog was the family pet, in a family home. The dog wasn't reared specifically for eating like chickens or other animals. Its a very different mentality to eat a pet.

One also worries about if the dog eater was practiced and qualified to quickly dispatch the dog. Or not.
#10 Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Though I agree that killing a dog and eating it is probably no worse than killing other animals and eating them, it does seem rather strange to kill your family pet and eat it. I suppose some people aren't attached to their pets. I can't imagine killing my dogs and eating them. I consider them to be members of the family.
#11 Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

No stranger than a farmer killing a cow that had a name.
#12 Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

No stranger than a farmer killing a cow that had a name.

Either way it's equally bad for the animal.
#13 Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I just don't get it.Of course it's wrong to take the life of any innocent creature, but to be able to look into the loving, trusting eyes of a family pet and not only kill it but eat it?

Wow.
#14 Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I just don't get it.Of course it's wrong to take the life of any innocent creature, but to be able to look into the loving, trusting eyes of a family pet and not only kill it but eat it?

Wow.
#15 Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

apparently, the guy killed the dog "humanely", which is why it was deemed to be okay.

the fact that he had the ability to kill and eat the family pet is disturbing...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#16 Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

While I don't see much difference in eating a dog compared to eating any other mammal, I do wonder how you mentally prepare for it. It is one thing to breed an animal and always have the intent to kill and eat it, but to suddenly decide, for no apparent reason, that Fido looks tastily just seems ... odd.

UNLESS he was operating under the assumption that dogs were always a potential source of food . . . then it at lest makes sense, which seems to be the case here.
#17 Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Poor pitbulls.

They're fought, starved, beaten...and now grilled on the bbq pit.

I wonder if there would have been more outcry had the dog been a Sheltie or a golden retriever?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#18 Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 AM

I see it no different than killing and eatting any other anilmal. The fact that he could do that to his family pet makes me want to, even more :barf: *goes to kiss and cuddle my mutt*
#19 Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

This dog was the family pet, in a family home. The dog wasn't reared specifically for eating like chickens or other animals. Its a very different mentality to eat a pet.

One also worries about if the dog eater was practiced and qualified to quickly dispatch the dog. Or not.

Dispatch? Dont get into their pathetic attempt at covering up what killing an animal really is.
#20 Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Alpaca Guy View Post

While I don't see much difference in eating a dog compared to eating any other mammal, I do wonder how you mentally prepare for it. It is one thing to breed an animal and always have the intent to kill and eat it, but to suddenly decide, for no apparent reason, that Fido looks tastily just seems ... odd.

It does seem very odd, and horrible.

Mind you in the UK some people have rabbits as companion animals and some people eat rabbits don't they, but maybe not their own pet rabbits though thinking about it.
#21 Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh god what is the world comming too, hell yea its wrong.
#22 Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Beginner

My roommate from the Congo said when he lived there, his neighbor regularly hung dogs by their necks from a rope on his porch and then beat them until most of their bones were broken before cooking them. I'm assuming they were half-tame dogs who would approach humans for food.

"Cat-In-A-Bag" is also a meal that I've heard of, where one puts a cat in a burlap sack, hangs it from a rope on the porch and then beats it to death with a bat and then cooks it.

At the end of the CNN article about the terrier who was BBQ'd, it says the City Mayor will not seek to illegalize eating pet dogs, but will seek to educate new immigrants of New Zealand's customs.

My opinion:

From an objective viewpoint, it takes a special "mentality" to eat a pet. Not to kill it, but to nonchalantly dine on its body for a Saturday cookout. The Mayor is overlooking a more serious problem. Child Protective Agencies know that when there is animal abuse in a home, there is a 95% chance of child abuse as well. By law, Child Protective Services are required to investigate any home where animal abuse occurs.

The type of man who can BBQ a pet has a high risk of also nonchalantly committing some heinous child abuse too, but no one seems to be mentioning that.
#23 Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZest View Post

My roommate from Africa (the Congo) said when he lived there, his neighbor regularly hung dogs by their necks from a rope (while conscious) on his porch and then beat them until most of their bones were broken before cooking them. I'm assuming they were half-tame dogs who would approach humans for food.

Why did I come back in this thread?
#24 Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZest View Post

My opinion:

From an objective viewpoint, it takes a special "mentality" to eat a pet. Not to kill it, but to nonchalantly dine on its body for a Saturday cookout. The Mayor is overlooking a more serious problem. Child Protective Agencies know that when there is animal abuse in a home, there is a 95% chance of child abuse as well. By law, Child Protective Services are required to investigate any home where animal abuse occurs.

The type of man who can BBQ a pet has a high risk of also nonchalantly committing some heinous child abuse too, but no one seems to be mentioning that.

I agree, a lot of serial killers start with animal abuse also, cats & dogs. not farm animals.
#25 Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I never should have opened this thread.

I think I'm going to go cry in a a corner now, hugging all the animals in the house.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#26 Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Killing AND eating a pitbull? Maybe he's a PETA member. No, that's not right, a PETArd wouldn't eat the corpse.
#27 Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
One

There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with someone if they can eat their PET.

It's slightly easier to understand people eating animals that they never met or saw alive, and how they can disconnect that from reality and view it as an inanimate object. It's wrong but most of us have done it at some point.

BUT THE FAMILY PET??? WHAT. THE. F*CK.
#28 Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

I agree, a lot of serial killers start with animal abuse also, cats & dogs. not farm animals.

I don't agree... I've known of a lot of weirdos who started off on farms and in slaughterhouses. They seek out those kinds of jobs because they find it enjoyable...
#29 Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 PM

It is no different to killing cows, sheep, deer etc in my opinion.

I'm from NZ and there is still a big uproar about this but IMO killing an animal is killing an animal and it annoys me when people say it's different for one type of animal when there should be outrage that it happens to ANY animal.
#30 Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post

I don't agree... I've known of a lot of weirdos who started off on farms and in slaughterhouses. They seek out those kinds of jobs because they find it enjoyable...

One of Australia's worst female killers worked in a slaughterhouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page