2 in hospital with e-coli after eating veggie burger - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Banned

Two E.coli patients seriously ill

A woman is on a life support machine and a three-year-old girl is seriously ill after an E.coli outbreak linked to a fish and chip shop in Wrexham.

The family of Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, who has an 11-week-old baby, said she fell ill after eating a vegetarian burger.

A three-year-old girl has renal failure in a Liverpool hospital.

The National Public Health Service (NPHS) for Wales is investigating four cases with two patients in hospital.

Llay Fish Bar, Llay, Wrexham has been closed.

The three-year-old girl is being treated at Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool.

Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, a librarian, is being treated at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, where her husband Paul is at her bedside

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8181106.stm

UK fish and chip shops often sell veggie burgers. These are usually preformed mixtues of mashed potatoes and chopped vegetables that are breaded and frozen into patties. The chip shop would just buy these frozen patties and then drop them into the hot oil where they cook fish and chips before placing the burger on a bun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Shows how very dangerous food poisoning can be! I've always assumed that veg*n products are less likely to harbour bacteria than meat - probably me being naive.
#3 Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

grrrrr There's just no excuse for filth. Poor things, I hope they recover.

I really only feel safe eating and feeding my family at home, where I can go pick my veggies, wash them and serve them. You just don't know when you're eating out how many hands have touched your food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

And where their hands were before they touched the food!
#5 Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

Shows how very dangerous food poisoning can be! I've always assumed that veg*n products are less likely to harbour bacteria than meat - probably me being naive.

The ecoli could have been on the lettuce, in the mayo, on the bun or it could have been on a dirty cutting board that was brushed up against the finished burger...

The trick is to have 100% confidence in the cleanliness of any establishment preparing and serving food before eating anything from it.
#6 Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, of course. And aren't there meant to be different chopping boards for different items too? It's all coming back to me now.
#7 Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post

Yes, of course. And aren't there meant to be different chopping boards for different items too? It's all coming back to me now.

Yep... supposed to be ...

This chippy is in a poor part of a poor town in a poor part of the UK. I'm not thinking there was a lot of profit margin to splurge on proper hygiene...
#8 Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww, so sad. When we had our e coli spinach scare in the US a few years back it made me realize nothing is really safe. Seems poo is everywhere.

Nikki
#9 Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

It really sucks as people will of course link it to veggie food. Always looking for ways to discount it.

The Big Bad.
#10 Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope the family get better soon.
#11 Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

It really sucks as people will of course link it to veggie food. Always looking for ways to discount it.

Yes, that would be a great pity.

My son and I were confined to home a number of years ago as we both had dysentery (the UK outbreak in the early 90's).

He was banned from school and I from work and we had to give poo samples once a week. Thankfully we weren't nearly as ill as this family are.
#12 Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

The place was already had poor hygiene standards according to inspectors.

How many of us actually research the cleanliness rating of the restaurants we visit?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8181106.stm

Wrexham Council gave the Llay Fish Bar its lowest possible star rating - zero stars- in an inspection a year ago.

Wrexham council said its inspection programme aimed to ensure food businesses complied with legislation.

According to Wrexham council's website, Llay Fish Bar was inspected on 13 August, 2008.

The council noted: "Poor hygiene conditions found. Some major non-compliance with food legislation."

Here we go:

Ms Pomeroy told the court Ramazan Aslan, the owner, and another member of staff were asked to demonstrate preparing a burger but neither washed their hands between handling the raw burger and preparing a bread bun and salad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page