Arable farming destroys more animals than animal farming! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Hi, I am new to this site and I am thinking about giving up meat, but I have an conundrum that really makes the choice so much harder because it would make me a hypocrite.

I don't want to eat other animals, but I have came across a very interesting article about why eating farmed crops is much more destructive to animals, it is as follows:

"Dear Dr Groves

I agree with most of your points concerning the poor reasoning of most vegetarians. As a fairly observant zoologist, pathologist and sometimes farmer I can add even more.

As you and I know, most vegetarians are motivated, at least in part, by their view of the immorality of exploiting animals. Most of them, of course, are city dwellers who have never had the opportunity to till, plant and harvest a field with a vegetable crop.

Crop agriculture, even if inveterbrates are excluded, is devastating to small amphibians, reptiles, nesting birds and mammals. Even the occasional larger mammal is injured during the cropping process. Unavoidably, the plow destroys burrows and young. Harvest machines kill some animals directly and expose others to the tender mercies of predators. Many times, I have watched as coyotes and hawks follow my tractor feasting on the victims of the plow and reaper [hey, but it is nice for these predators].

Really, how could it be otherwise? Vegetables and cereals are the foods of many animals. For rodents, crops are a real bonanza in terms of food and shelter. They multiply rapidly which only increases the tally during field preparation and harvest.

To my thinking, there is little question that raising animals for meat, especially if they are not fattened with agricultural products, is far less devastating to animal life than is agriculture. If one acre of land produces one sheep a year for slaughter, one life is taken. If one acre of land is put into cereal production the cost in just mammalian life can be measured in the dozens or more.

Of course, animal death due to cropping is "invisible" and therefore doesn't happen. Lamb chops in the market are visible and vegetarians weep for the victim. I know that these realities have no impact on animal-rights types - they are not nearly so concerned with animal death and suffering as they are with animal death and suffering due to deliberate human actions. Their emphasis is, in fact, not on animal welfare but on the control of other human beings.

Ron B."

I am sure you would agree with me that its a hard for one to rationalise our morals when there is so much destruction with arable farming!

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I don't want to eat other animals, but I have came across a very interesting article about why eating farmed crops is much more destructive to animals, it is as follows:

I am sure you would agree with me that its a hard for one to rationalise our morals when there is so much destruction with arable farming!

What do you think?

I think if you count all the positive attributes of a vegetarian diet (environmental, health, avoiding animal suffering) then they far outweigh the collateral damage caused in small ecosystems by individual farms. Factory farming is so far more damaging for surrounding ecosystems than the harvest that there is literally no contest.

Besides, avoiding animal suffering is only one of the reasons that vegetarianism and veganism are lifestyles worth considering. The other benefits - saving the planet and saving your life - are equally significant.
#3 Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM

What does this person think that the animals bred for slaughter eat? They would eat crops too and at far higher amounts than human vegetarians do. His argument makes no sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page