Do you shop at your local farmers market? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.
  • 1 Post By AspiringBuddha
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Do you shop at your local farmers market?

Click image for larger version

Name:	farmers-market.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	16288

Quote:
There is simply no replacement for fresh when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately, the produce you buy at the grocery store isn’t always in its prime and a lot of it is imported from other countries. If you want to enjoy the freshest produce, you may not have to go very far – just take advantage of your local farmers market. Keep reading to receive some simple tips for shopping at farmers markets this summer. Tips for Shopping at Farmers Markets for the Freshest Produce
Do you shop at your local farmers market?

If so, have you found it to be a lot more expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

From May to September I have a little farmers market within walking distance. Just about 3 miles roundtrip. Just Tuesday afternoons. I go there almost every week.

All year round there is a bigger Farmer's Market on Sundays in the next town over. During the winter it's more like a food fair with things like bakery items, honey, eggs, homemade stuff and even coffee. I go there just once or twice a year. The town its in has a really interesting hip downtown. So its something to do as an easy day trip when I have friends visiting. There are two other weekend only farmer's markets within 5 miles of me. I rarely go to them but I have to admit that they are better than my little one. But I can't walk to them.

At my local farmer's market, depending on the season I buy lettuce, cabbage, artichokes, asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, cherries, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, apples, spinach, kale, etc. Everything is about half the price of what you can buy in a supermarket. and I only shop at the booths that claim to be organic. There is also honey, eggs and cooked chickens that i ignore. Sometimes I indulge in the potato chips, kettle corn, hummus, and tamales or burritos. but these things ARE a little on the expensive side. Oh, we used to have an orchid booth. Best prices ever. I must have bought a dozen orchids just last year. Birthdays, mother days... it became my go-to gift. But the guy quit. This farmer's market was just too small and out of the way for him. Good news: his space is going to an Asian grower. Can't wait to see what he has.

Oh, and I live in Northern California where there are still plenty of little farms and a really long growing season. Not too many people are as lucky as me!

#3 Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM

i tried to shop at my local farmers markets as products are better quality and you can find any fruits and vegetables But in my opinion, yes it's more expensive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM

I find the farmer's market near me to be cheaper than every day prices of conventional grocers, but more expensive than I pay when I shop carefully and review the sales ads. But money is tight right now and I've kind of made a hobby of seeing how low I can get the grocery budget while still meeting all of my nutritional goals (100 grams of protein daily, RDA of calcium, 6-10 servings of fruits and veggies, etc.) It's like a fun puzzle that I get to solve every week.

I do enjoy shopping at the farmer's market, but it's more recreational than a place to do the bulk of my produce shopping. It makes for a nice day out in the sunshine.
Mr. H. likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#5 Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
I find the farmer's market near me to be cheaper than every day prices of conventional grocers, but more expensive than I pay when I shop carefully and review the sales ads. But money is tight right now and I've kind of made a hobby of seeing how low I can get the grocery budget while still meeting all of my nutritional goals (100 grams of protein daily, RDA of calcium, 6-10 servings of fruits and veggies, etc.) It's like a fun puzzle that I get to solve every week.

I do enjoy shopping at the farmer's market, but it's more recreational than a place to do the bulk of my produce shopping. It makes for a nice day out in the sunshine.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, I discovered this trick by accident.
Hit the Farmer's Market just when it's closing. Some of the guys would rather not pack things home. Half price sales are common. Or Mix and Match fruit for $1 a pound.
AspiringBuddha likes this.
#6 Old 06-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Give peas a chance

I used to have a farmers market in front of my building, and was a big supporter for awhile. It went downhill over time. In the end there were only 3 fruit and vegetable booths. They had a hard time attracting farmers because the attendance wasn't that good. And attendance wasn't good because the produce wasn't anything special.

I had my suspicions about 2 of the vendors. The whole point of a farmers market is that you get to talk to the farmers who are growing your food, and they didn't know much. How can a farmer not know the varieties of apples in their orchard? An orchard takes years to mature. And there were things being offered out of season. It was clear that people were buying things wholesale and reselling them at the market. That's especially bad if things are being passed off as organic when they're not.

I posed the question to one of the good farmers once... why isn't everything cheaper since you've eliminated the middle man? They said they don't make much off selling at the farmers market, and there is a lot of waste from the stuff that goes unsold. It's more profitable to harvest a field all at once, load it in a truck that goes to a distributor, then cash their check.

Where the farmers markets can be really good though is when it comes to produce that really needs to ripen on the plant. Tomatoes, peaches, figs, cherimoya... Farmers can wait until they are mature before picking, when they taste much better.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page