• 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 2 Post By jmb
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS

#1 Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Corn Chip Cuisine: Retro Recipe Rewind

Corn chips aren't just good for eatin'. They're also good for cookin'.

Almost from the day C. E. Doolin developed the Frito corn chip in 1932, people have used the iconic corn chip as an ingredient. According to Doolin family legend, C. E.'s mother Daisy created the first recipe using these corn chips when she added crushed Fritos into fruitcake batter. Luckily for us there are many recipes using Fritos that are a bit less … strange.

Many of these recipes can be found in advertisements and giveaways produced by the Fritos company and its successor Frito-Lay. In 1935 they began paying consumers $1 each for recipes using Fritos. Two years later the Cooking With Fritos campaign was officially launched.

Fritos Pie

Depending on who you ask, the humble Fritos Pie was created in Daisy Doolin's kitchen, at the Santa Fe Woolworth's lunch counter, or at Spralins' Dairy Delight eatery in Arkansas. The recipe is simple: Acquire a small bag of corn chips. Slit open the top of the bag. Pour thick chili over the chips in the bag. Eat with a spoon. For a fancier preparation top with chopped onion and nooch sauce (a cheesy tasting sauce which often is called “nutritional yeast cheese sauce”). As a less messy variation dump the chips on a plate or in a bowl and smother in chili. Add a big glop of refried beans, salsa, and some sliced pickled jalapeños and you've created an entirely new dish – corn chip nachos! If this was the 1930s, you could have earned a dollar for your efforts.

Fritos Chili Pie

If you looked at the recipe for Fritos Pie and thought “that's not a pie!”, you were probably thinking of Fritos Chili Pie. It's a Fritos Pie casserole and closer to the spirit of the word “pie”. The recipe is credited to Fritos Company employee Nell Morris and was printed on displays of Fritos starting in 1962.

We took the 1962 recipe printed in Kaleta Dolin's Fritos Pie: Stories, Recipes, and More and veganized it.

2 cups crushed corn chips
1 ¾ cup chili (15 ½ ounces by weight) thick chili
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup nooch sauce (or a meltable shredded vegan cheese)

1. Set aside a handful of the crushed chips for use as a topping.
  2. Place half of the remaining crushed chips in the bottom of a casserole.
  3. Pour half the chili over the corn chips.
  4. Top with half the onion and half the nooch sauce.
  5. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, forming layers in the same order.
  6. Sprinkle the top with the chips set aside in step 1.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 20 minutes.

Serves 4-6

Fritos Yum-Yums

The previous two recipes, as originally written, would have presented problems for C. E. Doolin. He was a Texan, and traditional Texas chili is just meat and spices. No beans allowed! Onion and tomato maybe, but any vegetarian-friendly ingredients are bit players in Texas chili. But Doolin's diet wasn't just vegetarian, it was also mostly raw. And a person can't live on snacks and entrees alone! Well, I suppose people can try, but those people lead a hollow and joyless existence. We all need a little dessert in our lives.

Enter Fritos Yum-Yums. This recipe is also credited to Nell Morris, and comes from a 50s era Cooking With Fritos giveaway advertising booklet. The ingredient list and method will be familiar to anyone who has seen a raw dessert recipe. We've rewritten the recipe for formatting and copyright issues, but it did not need any further tweaking.

3/4 cup pitted dates
3 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/3 cup crushed corn chips

1. Cut dates into fine pieces.
2. Combine with peanut butter.
3. Roll into around 18 balls.
4. Roll the balls in crushed corn chips.
5. Chill in refrigerator to set the treats.

Yield: 18

Mmmm. History. Tasty tasty history

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by CricketVS; 07-09-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Now this is a recipe I think my coworkers will go for! Fritos Yum Yums!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 07-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Impeach the gangster

Fritos are so cool. Just corn, oil, and salt. Delicious!
danakscully64 and CricketVS like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 PM
jmb

In addition to being a tasty snack, you can help start your campfire with them as a starter. Just light 'em. Not a joke - try it.
tearhsong2 and LedBoots like this.
#5 Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Doolin took them home straight off the line before they were salted. Not using salt is a pretty common thing among vegetarians of his time. That's part of the reason vegetarian dishes have a reputation for being bland - no seasoning!

#6 Old 07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

i have had the yum yums before, at a christmas get together. Tasty!
#7 Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Walk'n tacos! Our schools band concession stand sold the chili over fritos!

I love Fritos, haven't had them in so long. They were my save-me food on road trips. Few foods could fill me up with one serving size like Fritos.

Anyone know if the BBQ fritos are vegan?

I might just get some chili beans and fritos since it's too hot for making chili

Oh and they're good with cold grapes! and apples
#8 Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

So you are telling me that Fritos are vegan?!?
melimomTARDIS likes this.
#9 Old 07-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
So you are telling me that Fritos are vegan?!?
Oh yeah!!!
#10 Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Growing up, my Mom used to make this recipe called "Hamburger bean pot." It had beef (poor cows), bacon (poor pigs), pinto beans, molasses, and some other kind of sauce. She would top it off with corn chips. I have been meaning to veganize it, I should do that soon!

#11 Old 07-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Oh yeah!!!
Omg I never knew. I am getting some and making some onion dip with non dairy sour creme . So excited
#12 Old 07-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Growing up, my Mom used to make this recipe called "Hamburger bean pot." It had beef (poor cows), bacon (poor pigs), pinto beans, molasses, and some other kind of sauce. She would top it off with corn chips. I have been meaning to veganize it, I should do that soon!
Still have a Trader Joes for Soy Chorizo? Or somewhere with Beyond Meat fiesty crumbles? Best stuff to mix with beans and tomato sauce for things like that. I guess you could use Baco's, but I wouldn't
#13 Old 07-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Still have a Trader Joes for Soy Chorizo? Or somewhere with Beyond Meat fiesty crumbles? Best stuff to mix with beans and tomato sauce for things like that. I guess you could use Baco's, but I wouldn't
TJ is about 45 minutes away, but I try not to eat soy because it murders my intestines. I wonder what I could use instead. Lentils maybe? The sauce and chips are what make it. As a kid, I would always eat around the bean and scoop up the beans with the chips. I have the recipe in a box somewhere (we're still unpacking). As for the fake bacon, maybe just add some liquid smoke? I feel like this would be a trial and error recipe

#14 Old 07-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Anyone know if the BBQ fritos are vegan
I just checked and wow, it looks like they are. The only iffy ingredient is 'natural flavors'. Probably have to call the company on that one.

They don't have pig enymes in 'em. Frito-Lay has a list of US products made without pig enzymes, since they previously used them.

Quote:
I guess you could use Baco's, but I wouldn't
Bac-Os pretty much fail in anything wet. The flavor and color leech out, leaving you with really unappealing, mushy, tasteless lumps of defatted soy protein.
danakscully64 likes this.

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 07-11-2015 at 06:54 PM.
#15 Old 08-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Oh man, my mom had this recipe that was so good, I'll have to ask her for it.

She's right here.

Cream cheese, roto tomatoes, and sausage. It went amazing with Fritos. I'm sure TSP would work as well, I had it when I ate meat and it was the best thing in the world

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page