Vegan water? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 12-10-2003, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to be a better vegan and am wondering what brands of water are known to be vegan?

I tried doing a google search, but the only thing I can find are websites like vegan.org that say that in many places the water is definetely not vegan because it is filtered through bone charcoal. But they don't say what water sources are and are not vegan. So, does anyone know what brands of water are not filted using animal bones? I'd prefer a brand that is fairly cheap as I tend to use a lot of water. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you contacted the local water company ?

Bone charcoal isn't used that much anymore because of BSE.

A lot of carbon filters nowadays are made from real coal.
#3 Old 12-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

heheheh
APhilosophicalGent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-10-2003, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vegan View Post

Bone charcoal isn't used that much anymore because of BSE.

Oh, good! Well, not good that there's BSE, but good that it's not used much anymore.
#5 Old 12-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have to ask in all seriousness (sic!): is this a troll/funny post?

I didn't find anything on Google for "vegan.water" and "vegan filtered.water". Also, where does vegan.org say that charcoal filtered water is "definitely not vegan"? The page I found on vegan.org says otherwise (the question about refined sugar). At the very least, this issue is debatable.

In any case, my 2 cents would be that if you are really concerned, you either can buy distilled water or spring water, both of which should be unfiltered, but it would be best to look for another thing in your life that is more obvious and easier to improve.

Or, as vegan.org puts it:

Quote:
Again, we recommend that vegans concentrate their attention on the most obvious animal ingredients. In our experience, concentrating on processing or on trace ingredients can make a vegan diet appear exceedingly difficult and dissuade people from adopting it.

poivron likes this.
#6 Old 12-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

Who the **** buys branded water?
#7 Old 12-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think Kpickell is trolling you.

http://www.ebonex.com/b_app.htm#water

http://www.protonique.com/cyprus_wat...n_of_water.htm

Quote:
Carbon filtration consists of passing the water through a column containing a special form of activated carbon which can retain some non- or poorly-biodegradable organic pollutants such as oils and solvents, by adsorption. The type of carbon must be matched to the type of pollutant. This is a very expensive but highly efficient method on condition that it is correctly applied. Carbon filtration may also be used to remove some natural pollutants. The carbon is usually derived from lampblack, bone charcoal or coconut shell charcoal, but it is essential that the carbon type and activation treatment be matched to the pollutant being adsorbed.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/purennat...-glossary.html

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/seac/980126a.htm

Quote:
The Committee considered the use of bovine bone charcoal for water filtration. They noted that the sources of the bone were countries which had no reported cases of BSE and that the production method included heating to 1000oC. Consequently they concluded that the practice could continue since it represented no risk to human health from TSEs.

#8 Old 12-10-2003, 08:09 AM

Most spring water is not filtered ... right?
#9 Old 12-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Britney Spears does, *****! (j/k) All she knows how to drink is damn Pepsi poo.
#10 Old 12-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I drink a lot of bottled water, usually Dasani, so that's why I asked.
#11 Old 12-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Well I drink a lot of bottled water, usually Dasani, so that's why I asked.

I take your query very seriously actually, as I do in fact drink mineral water too! ...and I'm thinking about having filtered water at some point, so this thread is planted firmly in my favorites to check back on to find out the

latest on filters.. (and mineral water brands for that matter too).
#12 Old 12-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Dasani has sodium in it. They say it's a small amount, but there's enough in it to be listed in the ingredients (I know.... water has ingredients now? Who would've thunkked it?).

And since we're talking about water, would anyone happen to know about those water filling stations that they have in the stores. Someone said that it was just tap water but I would like to know for sure (and yes, this is a serious question, not a troll/funny post).
#13 Old 12-10-2003, 06:15 PM

Okay, this is just a suggestion, so feel free to disregard it. If you are a vegan for ethical reasons, then you probably want to cause the least amount of harm possible when you make a decision such as what water to drink. In my opinion it is more harmful to buy bottled water than it is to drink non-vegan tap water. The reason is that bottled water is taken from resevoirs that, until the water bottling company started taking from them, were open for public use. The water was free until some company decided that they could make a profit from it. Also, those resevoirs are quickly depleted by bottling companies. Recently Nestle was ordered to stop pumping water from a resevoir here in Michigan because it was causing water shortages. I realize that by drinking tap water and paying your water bill you are giving money to a company that gives money to a company that gives money to a company that kills animals. But by buying bottled water you are giving money to a company that is profiting form a resource that should be free at the expense of people who rely on that resource. Consider the consequences: a dead animal or, eventually, a complete lack of free water. I know the choice is unpleasant, but by the least harm principle, I encourage you to consider tap water.
#14 Old 12-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
But by buying bottled water you are giving money to a company that is profiting form a resource that should be free at the expense of people who rely on that resource. Consider the consequences: a dead animal or, eventually, a complete lack of free water. I know the choice is unpleasant, but by the least harm principle, I encourage you to consider tap water.

Do you have anything against profits?

The water is free as in how? Nothing is free, if someone has to work to package and bring it to you.

And yes, what about tap water? Doesn't a company profit from that too? Or do you get your tapwater free of charge? And where does it come from?

And what does all of this have to do with veganism?
#15 Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

wow..water not being vegan... thats just sad
#16 Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Unless flavored, I would never even think water wasn't vegan.

Quote:

Now, now Britney.

That isn't very lady-like of you.

That type of language belongs under a desk.
#17 Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

Do you have anything against profits?

The water is free as in how? Nothing is free, if someone has to work to package and bring it to you.

And yes, what about tap water? Doesn't a company profit from that too? Or do you get your tapwater free of charge? And where does it come from?

And what does all of this have to do with veganism?

True, but bottled water is frequently a scam. Dasani for example is simply city tap water filtered by your local Coca Cola bottling company. (With a huge markup leading to water that costs 2 cents to obtain and filter, and 1 c to package being marked up to $1.25 at some vending machines.)
#18 Old 12-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Me. Although it's not what you think. Scottish water (the government mandatate non-profit making company the supplys tap water, and the infrastructure thereof) is keen to sell the image of Scottish water. Or, rather, Scottish water, by the tankerfull, to the continent (generally Spain, as it happens).

So, yup, our tap water is technically a branded good.

As for bone char in mass water filtration, I can get you an authorative answer for the UK, and possibly for the USA too. I'll spot the question tomorrow, and see what it turns up.
#19 Old 12-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_Sword2Sky View Post

Now, now Britney.

That isn't very lady-like of you.

That type of language belongs under a desk.

Oops, I did it again.
#20 Old 12-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax View Post

As for bone char in mass water filtration, I can get you an authorative answer for the UK, and possibly for the USA too. I'll spot the question tomorrow, and see what it turns up.

Thanks for looking into it. I can't find anything. Personally I think Dasani just simply tastes better than any other brand, and definetely better than our local tap water, so that's why I buy branded water.

Also, I didn't understand the comment about Sodium. Does that mean it isn't vegan if it has sodium in it?
#21 Old 12-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

No, it's still vegan. It's just they add sodium along with some other minerals to "improve the taste" It's a negligible amount.
#22 Old 12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Banned

they add sodium to IMPROVE the taste?? yeech. i was told (and personally confirmed) that the opposite is true.
#23 Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post

i get mine free...good old well water, unless you count the charge of electricity for running the water pump....i'm pretty sure it's vegan, since it comes from the ground and all
#24 Old 12-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

But what about those water filling station things in the stores? Where does that water come from?
#25 Old 12-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

But what about those water filling station things in the stores? Where does that water come from?

Usually it's filtered tap water.
#26 Old 12-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Water ... it would never have occurred to me. Now I'm gonna have to check what the filter in my tap is made out of...

Quote:

Oops, I did it again.

Kurm, aren't you going to change "bland boring plain" to the above ... or to "Hit Me Baby"?
#27 Old 12-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're going to get picky about stuff lke sugar and water, its almost impossible to be vegan, I'd suggest you stick with tap water which is also probably more environmentally friendly because it doesnt come from a polluting plant in a bottle that has to be thrown away

Sorry is that came out sounding cynical
#28 Old 12-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not impossible, but it is pretty hard! I had a look around my kitchen and couldn't believe how many products I thought were vegan list water or sugar as an ingredient! I haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet.
#29 Old 12-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayfish View Post

Okay, this is just a suggestion, so feel free to disregard it. If you are a vegan for ethical reasons, then you probably want to cause the least amount of harm possible when you make a decision such as what water to drink. In my opinion it is more harmful to buy bottled water than it is to drink non-vegan tap water. The reason is that bottled water is taken from resevoirs that, until the water bottling company started taking from them, were open for public use. The water was free until some company decided that they could make a profit from it. Also, those resevoirs are quickly depleted by bottling companies. Recently Nestle was ordered to stop pumping water from a resevoir here in Michigan because it was causing water shortages. I realize that by drinking tap water and paying your water bill you are giving money to a company that gives money to a company that gives money to a company that kills animals. But by buying bottled water you are giving money to a company that is profiting form a resource that should be free at the expense of people who rely on that resource. Consider the consequences: a dead animal or, eventually, a complete lack of free water. I know the choice is unpleasant, but by the least harm principle, I encourage you to consider tap water.

I like your input of the suggestion, and advice of warning where money might end up, for instance your example of Nestle...

I had no idea they produced bottled or mineral water/(or any water?). I drink only bottled mineral water which is labelled "natural" mineral water, but I realize also there are many other substandard ones which are no better than tap water.

At least however I try to recycle my plastic bottles when I'm done with them.

Like I said up the thread I am trying to find a vegan filter solution ultimately!
#30 Old 12-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Man. This is getting out of hand. I began reading this post with some amusement and a trace amount of fear. Now all that's left is annoyance. Honestly though, we know that there are some items that some corporation somewhere has hidden into foods that won't be vegan. And my standpoint on this is unless you want to grow your own food, grind your own wheat, find a well and pump your own water there is a chance that there will be some non-vegan ingredients that slip into your food. Do I like the thought of animal bones in my water? Hell no. Does that mean I will drink Florida's tap water until I can afford a filter? Hell no! (lol- NYC's tap water is the best IMO)

I agree with vegan.org. Choose your battles very carefully. It just sounds like this one isn't worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page