recipes: Chick'n Burgers & Pumpkin black bean soup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM

hi, i'm new here...and i thought a good first contribution would be a couple recipes. both can be made vegan friendly, and both are really great (in my opinion)

the first is a recipe that i originally made when i ate seafood. but through reading here, i saw several people mentioning substituting garbanzo/chickpeas for canned tuna..and since i used to LOVE this recipe and missed it, i thought i would give it a try. i made them within the past week and they were great.

1 can of chickpeas, drained

1 egg (can be omitted. i HATE eggs and have left this part out many times)

1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

1/4 cup minced celery

1/4 cup minced red bell pepper (i have also used green, or none at all)

1/4 cup mayonnaise (or vegan counterpart. i tend to use more, esp. when omitting the egg)

1/2 tablespoon of chili powder

1 tablespoon dill weed (i use a lot, because it really boosts the flavor)

1 tablespoon parsley

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

play around with the amount of seasonings depending on your tastes..these are just a suggestion, i never actually measure those parts.

mash up the chickpeas in a bowl and add all the other ingredients and mix. form them into patty shapes and cook them on a lightly oiled and hot pan until both sides are brown and crispy.

serve on buns with tomato/lettuce, or eat plain...both ways are good.

--------------------------------

Pumpkin + Black Bean Soup (great for cold months!)

this reciple takes absolutely no time to prepare

ingredients-

one can of pumpkin puree (no flavors added)

one can of black beans

one can of diced tomatoes (if you can find fire roasted, those are best)

one carton (or can...but the cartons are re-seal-able) vegetable stock/broth

chili powder

cumin

curry powder (sometimes i add this, sometimes i don't)

garlic powder (or real garlic, if you prefer)

onion powder (same as garlic)

salt/pepper

1/2 cup of heavy cream (i have made this with plain soy half & half/creamer and it has worked just as well)

so what you do is empty all the canned items in a pot (drain the beans) stir it up, then add the vegtable stock until you have the consistancy of soup you want (less for thicker, more for more soupy) and then add about 1-2 teaspoons of cumin powder, 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder (it does not make it hot or spicey, i promise) 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder (or more if you like that flavor) and then i add a few dashes of garlic and onion powder because i'm weird and i don't like having bits of the real thing in my food, but i like the flavor...and then be sure to add at least a couple teaspoons of both salt and pepper, but more to your tastes as needed.

heat this up til it is almost at a boil...then add the heavy cream/soy sub. get it hot again, but don't let it boil and tada! it's ready.

trust me, it is SO good and it doesn't seem like such a quick dinner made from stuff out of cans. it looks/tastes far more impressive and time consuming than it really is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Thankyou those are great recipes!

I love making patties like your chick'n burgers! I make a tofu one, and it tastes very similar to a meat pattie surprisingly. Well that's what I think anyway, it's hard to remember the taste of meat

Thanks again
#3 Old 12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Beginner

I love pumpkin and I love black beans, hmmmmmm, I'll definitely try this! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page