Hummus - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I made some hummus yesterday and it is delicious. I am wondering if there are different ways to make hummus? Does anyone add things to their hummus? What do you use it for?

I made mine with Tahini, garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice and s+p.

I have been using it as a spread on crackers, as a dip and as an alternative to mayonaisse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2003, 03:32 AM

I love it, too! I've added olive oil and some favorite herbs to the ingredients you mentioned. My recipe says to add sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers for variety but so far I just love it the way it is!
#3 Old 12-09-2003, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

I made mine with Tahini, garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice and s+p.

My basic recipe is similar to yours. I also add chopped onions and various herbs for more flavor.

I use hummus not only as a dip, but also as a sandwich spread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Cilantro!
#5 Old 12-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

lots and lots of smoked hungarian paprika!
#6 Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 AM

There are many great ways to make hummus. I especially like adding dill flavor to it. Or try roasted red, green, orange and yellow peppers. Sauteed garlic is also a good option.
#7 Old 12-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I put El Pato in my hummus. It gives my hummus a very nice kick without giving it an off-taste.

I tried making hummus once with curry powder in it. It was dead nasty so I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

And I use mine as a dip, sandwich spread, and a topper for baked potatoes. I've heard that you can also thin it down and use it as a salad dressing.

MMMMMMM... hummus!
#8 Old 12-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Cilantro and jalapenos

Roasted red pepper

sundried tomato

paprika
#9 Old 12-09-2003, 04:32 PM

A bit o' cumin and coriander are essential for an authentic hummus. Varying the ratio of garbanzos to tahini will make a big difference in the flavor. Black bean hummus also kicks serious booty.
#10 Old 12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Black bean hummus, soyboy? That sounds super-good. Do you do anything differently, or do you simply use black beans in place of the chickpeas and make it the usual way?

And I love cumin and coriander in my hummus, but fresh coriander is ruiniously expensive here and I have yet to find any jars of the dried stuff. So, no authentic for me.

Even though a lot of people love tahini and put that stuff in their hummus, I don't (I got very sick on sesame seeds once when I was very young and have never been able to stomach the stuff since).
#11 Old 12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Roasted peppers (hot or mild)

Shallots! -Because I have a weird shallot obsession right now. Oh yes they are good in hummus.

Sesame oil drizzled over the top is quite nice

Cayenne Pepper- gives it a nice zip

Ahhh hummus! I'm going home to make some right now!

DeeYah- If you have an Indian or Asian grocery near you, you can obtain spices for super cheap. I bought a gigantic bag of dried coriander for under 3.00!
#12 Old 12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank You!!!

I have heaps of ideas now, going to print this page and try something new every now and again.

Jalapenos and cilantro - mmmmmmmmmmm
#13 Old 12-09-2003, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

Black bean hummus, soyboy? That sounds super-good. Do you do anything differently, or do you simply use black beans in place of the chickpeas and make it the usual way?

It's really good. No tahini in BB hummus and proportions of ingredients are slightly different. If you want, I can post the recipe here.

Quote:
And I love cumin and coriander in my hummus, but fresh coriander is ruiniously expensive here and I have yet to find any jars of the dried stuff. So, no authentic for me.

I probably should have specified ground coriander seed , not the fresh stuff (aka cilantro). Sorry 'bout that!

Quote:
Even though a lot of people love tahini and put that stuff in their hummus, I don't (I got very sick on sesame seeds once when I was very young and have never been able to stomach the stuff since).

I know some people have used peanut butter as a tahini substitute with some success. Your mileage may vary.
#14 Old 12-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post

It's really good. No tahini in BB hummus and proportions of ingredients are slightly different. If you want, I can post the recipe here.

Please, please, please?

Quote:

I probably should have specified ground coriander seed , not the fresh stuff (aka cilantro). Sorry 'bout that!

Ground coriander seed? Hmm... that's easier to get out here. I may have to do it that way, sometime. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

I know some people have used peanut butter as a tahini substitute with some success. Your mileage may vary.

But is there batteries included? I must have batteries included. (just kidding, you know. I've been meaning to try the PB method but the jar keeps getting emptied before I can do that....).
#15 Old 12-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I love jalapenos and fresh parsley in mine
#16 Old 12-10-2003, 03:01 AM

So I'm a total bonehead. I checked the book with the recipe and it DOES have tahini-it's the WHITE bean hummus that doesn't have tahini. I'm sure this'll still taste damn good without it though. I also noticed that the book said batteries are included but you have to buy the set of knives in order to get them.

Black bean hummus

1 cup cooked black beans

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce

1 tablespoon tahini

2 dashes of tabasco or a pinch of cayenne

salt & fresh ground black pepper

Blend all ingredients in food processor until consistency is smooth. Add bean liquid if to thick and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page