Beans (watery vs. thick) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

So I really like beans and cook them a lot, pintos are likely my favorite. When I made some last night it reminded me that even with almost identical cooking methods sometimes beans will cook into a pretty starchy liquid that is almost like a 'bean sauce' This is my favorite end result. Last night I was cooking them and it seemed like it wasn't gonna happen so I let them cook down a bit, but the 'sauce' remained watery.

My first guess is starch, and I'm pretty sure that's right, but why would it differ from batch to batch? How much starch is leeched during the soaking process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I am definitely interested in knowing the answer to this too!
#3 Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really know the answer to your question, but if you want the starchy sauce, you probably don't want to change the water while soaking and/or cooking. Maybe even use the same water (or what's left of it) from soaking to cook in. I have however heard that it is best to change the water to reduce gastrointestinal issues...

Or maybe add a little flour while the beans are cooking to get your saucy texture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick99 View Post

I don't really know the answer to your question, but if you want the starchy sauce, you probably don't want to change the water while soaking and/or cooking. Maybe even use the same water (or what's left of it) from soaking to cook in. I have however heard that it is best to change the water to reduce gastrointestinal issues...

Or maybe add a little flour while the beans are cooking to get your saucy texture.

I have cooked beans the same way separate times and gotten different results. I always rinse my beans, but often get the saucy result without added roux or cornstarch or anything. Hoepfully someone will know, if not when I get some time we'll have to break out 'On Food and Cooking'
#5 Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Starchy sauce rocks. I hate watery beans. I think it depends on the cook time, but you said that wasn't helping, so maybe it depends how old the beans are? Older ones may absorb more water.
#6 Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

It would be hard to test this theory using purchased dried beans as you have little way of knowing how old they actually are.

Maybe I can grow some beans or something and start doing experiments, as it looks like no one knows 'why?'

runs to get on food and cooking ---- AHHHHHHHHHH, it's not there. someone borrowed it and never returned it. Of course I can't remember who borrowed it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page