Veat Substitutes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 AM

OK, so, VAN's has discontinued making VEAT for reasons I don't understand. I suppose I DO understand that it had egg whites in it so that it was not Vegan. Anyhow, I have looked at 'The Farm' cookbook, (not the TVP one), and I can't figure out how they made those stupid chicken things taste so good. Especially on charcoal grills in the summer, I am missing them. In addition, I liked their fake fish (salmon). OK, it didn't taste like salmon, but, anyhow, I like it. Now I can't get it.

Yes, I know it had whey protein in addition to TVP.

Anyhow, do any veggie board users know how to fake VEAT?

Science
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

This recipe makes really nice seitan "chicken-like" cutlets. I use it often!! http://veganguineapig.blogspot.com/2...en-seitan.html
#3 Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

That's strange. I was just at a restaurant last night (Flat Top Grill) that offers Veat as one of the veg*n "meat" options and they list it as vegan and it was on the bar (I mean, they must be getting it from somewhere).

Strange to hear that it's discontinued and not vegan since they make a point of listing everything else on the menu that has eggs, dairy or honey in it (including Quorn).

I'm officially confused now.

ETA: The Veat at FT isn't the "chicken breast" type (the one that looks like a molded chicken). It's funky looking, irregularly shaped little nuggets with little spiky things coming off of them. I've never had Veat before (and hadn't heard of it until I went to FT even), so I'm not sure if there are vegan varieties (maybe made for the food service industry?) and non-vegan varieties.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page