VeggieBoards banner

Baking "Egg" rolls?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  lazyjayn 
#1 ·
So, I don't mind making the wrappers, and I don't mind frying up the stuffing, or even rolling the darned things. But I really don't want to stand over the stove while I fry the little monsters.

So...

Can they be baked? has anyone successfully done it? What did you change? Do I need to roll them in oil first?

TIA

-j.

#4 ·
I make lumpia which is a filipino version of an eggroll and I bake them at 425 for 20-25 minutes. I sautee all the filling and I buy lumpia wrappers from the asian food store, roll 'em up and bake 'em. They taste great!! They get pretty crispy too. Not as crispy as the fried ones but I still love 'em!!

#5 ·
I think I will put some oil on them. I'll probably bake them on parchment paper... seems to stop stuff from sticking. Magic stuff.

And yes, I know they're better fried, but, well, I can only fit so many in the pan at once, and I do need to go to work tonight. Or I'd be all about that. Prolly fry some up for lunch today, then bake the rest.

Maybe reheating them in the frying pan would help...

Thanks guys.

#7 ·
I have baked spring rolls and they are as good as the deep fried ones. Similar to what NickelOO has mentioned. I buy the spring roll pastry, sautee the filling and roll it. Then spray the rolled wraps with non stick spray and also grease the baking sheet and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, flipping once after 15 minutes. Phyllo pastry sheets can also be used instead of the spring roll wrappers. I saw it in Food TV once.

#10 ·
Ok, I'm going to finish making them when I get home from work in the morning then. Just have to make the wrappers, wrap them, attack them with some oil, and bake them. Yum... much easier than standing over the stove for an hour- dratted tripled recipe.

I'll come back and let everyone know how they turn out.

#11 ·
Mmm, ok, so... baking does give them a different texture. And I don't know if I like it, but this batch is almost gone, so I probably do- despite starting them at 350, realizing I wanted to eat faster, and bumping the temp up to 400...

Tasty. Not really browned, not really crispy. Eatable though, and less work than standing over the wok.

Next time I maybe try filo dough. Though making my own is soooo much cheaper...

-j.

#13 ·
please do!!!!!!

#14 ·
Ok- I got a pasta machine in december (thanks mom!), so I use that- but the recipe is pretty simple-

I started with a basic vegan pasta recipe- I think it was something like 1:2 water: flour, though it might have been 1:4- The original might also have had some salt- oops.

So this morning I re-guessed my measurements and put

1 3/4C flour

1/4C corn starch

1/2C H2O

Put the flour and cornstarch in a bowl, mix them up a bit, dump the water on top. I then mixed it up- came out too soft, with bunches of flour still in the bowl, so I kneaded a bunch in- I was probably about 1/2 cup long on flour, but it's really dry here- like 30% Humidity.

So kneed the dough, then punch it flat enough to run through the pasta machine. Sent it through about a dozen times on the biggest setting, flouring and kneading between each pass, then brought it down to about the second smallest setting, again, flouring between passes. Then I just fold the pasta sheet so that when I cut through the middle I get full "square" sheets, and use them like normal wrappers. Not really authentic (I don't think) but rice flour isn't available here, and neither are vegan wrappers.

Oh, and if you use this to make fresh Italian style pasta- don't use the corn starch... makes the noodles gummy. Don't ask.

Make any sense? If not I'll try to do a photo tutorial when I get a chance. Maybe tomorrow, maybe tuesday... depends on sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.