Need help with egg substitute - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I found a recipe for tofu "meatloaf" that's perfect for me. It's quick and takes ingredients I don't have to search the universe to find. Only nonvegan ingredient is 2 eggs. So what can I use to hold everything together? I use EnerG in baked goods but don't think that will work here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had very good results using ground flaxseeds in bean loaves. I didn't soak it beforehand, just added about 1-2 tbsps into my mixture.
#3 Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Mashed potato?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 PM

^^ that sounds really good
#5 Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

I would think that the tofu would stick together pretty well with the dry, as is. For meatloaf, I might try some tomato paste though, if it's not sticky enough with just the tofu.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Ground flaxseeds that you've already beaten to egg texture or chickpea flour. Chickpea flour makes an awesome binder in some dishes.
#7 Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Whole wheat flour/corn starch mixed with water will also work.
#8 Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I would think that the tofu would stick together pretty well with the dry, as is. For meatloaf, I might try some tomato paste though, if it's not sticky enough with just the tofu.

I might have to try tomato paste. The recipe had it topped with tomato sauce after baking.

For those who use ground flax seeds, I'm assuming I mix them with water, right?
#9 Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Im my natural foods store there is something called tofu scrambler...you add it to tofu and it tastes and looks like eggs
#10 Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I would guess that since the item likely is pretty moist as is, you wouldn't really need anything to "hold" it together. I bet it does that on its own
#11 Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Froggy. Chickpea flour! Or even a little vital wheat gluten flour if you have it. I use both in "meatball" and "patty" type recipes all the time.
#12 Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM

I've never put eggs in any meatloaf..but I've not yet made one with tofu (only been vegan for a week and half), but my mum used to use xanthan gum (i think for this purpose) it's available at health food stores. you'd have to google it I suppose to find out measurements or whatnot. worth a try anyways!
#13 Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

I'm almost positive that I used Ener-G once and it worked just fine. I could be losing my mind though...
#14 Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM

From the Fat-Free Vegan website, not sure if it's any help or not:

Quote:
The following are substitutes for one egg:
  • A flax seed mixture : Mix 15 mL (1 Tbsp.) flax seed meal (ground flax seeds) with 45 mL (3 Tbsp.) water in a blender to substitute for one egg. This acts as a good binder in recipes.
  • Half a small banana, mashed, is a good binder. Gives pancakes, muffins, and quick breads a subtle banana flavor.
  • 1/4 cup of any kind of tofu blended with the liquid ingredients in the recipe acts as a binder. Light or reduced-fat tofu cuts down on the fat and calories in the finished product.
  • 1/4 cup of applesauce, canned pumpkin or squash, or pureed prunes are binders. These give baked goods a heavier texture, so you may want to add an extra 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. They can also flavor the finished product, so use with caution.
  • Use an egg-replacer powder such as Ener-G to replace the eggs in baked goods. 1-1/2 teaspoons mixed with 2 tablespoons of water.
  • Here's another Ener-G type egg replacer: Mix together 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Baking Soda, 2 Tbsp Flour, 3 Tbsp Water
  • A heaping tablespoon of soy flour or bean flour mixed with a tablespoon of water. This mixture works similarly to vegetarian egg replacer.
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch beaten with 2 tablespoons of water. This, too, works much like vegetarian egg replacer.
  • In any recipe where the eggs are used for leavening, consider increasing the amount of baking powder or baking soda called for while using one of the binders. Do this with caution, as too much leavening can affect the taste and the consistency of baked goods.

#15 Old 05-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for this .ghost.

I'm using up my old cake mixes at the moment so wanted something to try instead of egg myself. Interesting to see pureed prunes are in there - I remember reading that years ago as a good idea for making fat-free chocolate cake but I'd forgotten about it.
#16 Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Maybe soak some crackers or bread in some soymilk, and mash it all up with the tofu...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page