VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   What's the deal with Monsanto? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/97195-whats-deal-monsanto.html)

...cokaru... 04-28-2009 05:08 PM

Monsanto and the world of genetically modified food seems to unanimously be the Evil Villain of the eco / veggie world. Sources like The Vegan Reader call Monsanto "America's worst enemy" because of their modified agriculture, while some scientists are excited about the possibility of food having more nutrients, for example.



GMOs are the source of significant controversy, but to me it seems difficult to find unbiased information about it. Arguing that GMOs are "messing with nature" alone doesn't really hold up for me - I have a companion animal that's not a wolf, have taken medicine, and have had surgery in my life time. However, when it comes to the Monsanto / GMO debate, I admit I don't really know enough about it.



What's your take on the controversy? Do you believe that Monsanto is the evil giant? If so, why? What sources have you reviewed that influenced your opinion?

kazyeeqen 04-28-2009 05:34 PM

Terminator gene baby. Monsanto wants to take away people's ability to support themselves and that's just nasty.



There is much, much more to despise about Monsanto.



Putting more nutrients into foods (e.g. golden rice) is a poor substitute for getting the third world populations to dedicate their land to monocrop for sale to wealthy nations and leaving them with no food variety. Omni-food is never the answer. Humans need variety.

jeneticallymodified 04-28-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Omni-food is never the answer. Humans need variety.



the wheat super-blight crisis at the moment is trying to show is that diversity is a good thing.

daal 04-28-2009 05:45 PM

One problem with genetically modified foods is just that we don't know for sure what types of effects they'll have on people. The genes they use are typically from sources that would never, ever have a chance to naturally splice with the plant. Sometimes animal genes are even used. I recall hearing about a tomato fused with fish genes to be resistant to frost. More likely than not, humans haven't evolved even a fraction of the capacity to digest these new foods (hell, we can barely keep up with the hybridized fuits and veggies).



But, to top this all off, it's not like once they stop experimenting the whole thing will blow away. Because of pollination, once these new plants are introduced into the world, their genetic information will continue to proliferate and contaminate other plants. One genetic modification error could lead to tremendous ecological harm.



As far as Monsanto, there are dozens of documentaries on the corporation. Here's one called The World According to Monsanto that is supposed to be killer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hErvV5YEHkE .

MrFalafel 04-29-2009 01:10 AM

I have 2 main concerns:



1) Monsanto controlling the food supply: Monsanto supplies GM seeds that produce food but no seeds, that means you need to buy more seeds from Monsanto to get more food instead of creating your own seed supply. GM crops tie in with Monsanto pesticides and fertilizsers, again locking farmers into one supplier. Monsanto would in essence control a good portion of the worlds food supply.



2) GM pollution. While GM foods have been tested by having people consume them for years we don't really know what GM crops will do to wildlife or other plants and insects that come into contact with them. Will bees carry pollen from GM plants into nature that creates a super weed that is difficult to eradicate? Will certain insects die from contact with GM plants causing a domino effect in the food chain of wildlife? What about earthworms crown in GM fields feeding birds and other wildlife? There are just too many variables.



If Monsanto made the GM DNA structures of their plants 'opensource' for everyone and GM foods were grown underground underlights with no contact with the natural world then I'd be OK with them. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

sleepydvdr 04-29-2009 04:57 AM

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.


...cokaru... 04-29-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I just read the full article on Wiki. This has to be the most evil company of all time. Why haven't I heard about them? Not only have they been sued for shady business practices, this horrible company regularly sues farmers for criminal prosecution for not using up all their seeds in one season! WTF? Who the hell do they think they are? And this company is responsible for almost all vegetables produced? If it were up to me to pick any one company for the government to step in and stop a monopoly, it would be this horrible company.



It should be MANDATORY that anything that comes from this company be clearly labeled so. I would avoid anything from them like the plague.



Did the wiki article say that Monsanto is responsible for almost all vegetable production? Did they say where they found that bit of info? I wasn't under the impression that was the case, but that certainly warrants further reading.



You raise another good point too - I was under the impression that in other countries, such in the UK, it's much easier to tell where your food comes from. It's labeled as to what farm it was produced, etc. In the US if you ask one of us where our food comes from, we probably would just tell you that it came from <insert name of grocery store here>. Can anyone back me up here?

GhostUser 04-29-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I just read the full article on Wiki. This has to be the most evil company of all time. Why haven't I heard about them? Not only have they been sued for shady business practices, this horrible company regularly sues farmers for criminal prosecution for not using up all their seeds in one season! WTF? Who the hell do they think they are? And this company is responsible for almost all vegetables produced? If it were up to me to pick any one company for the government to step in and stop a monopoly, it would be this horrible company.



It should be MANDATORY that anything that comes from this company be clearly labeled so. I would avoid anything from them like the plague.



agree...I have never heard of them...but need to study-up on them...thanx for the heads up

Luise 04-30-2009 12:27 AM

Let's also not forget rBGH. One of Monsanto's current projects is to make it illegal to mention that a milk product is free of the hormone. There's already that little * next to these statements telling us that it has no health effect either way.

MrFalafel 04-30-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...cokaru... View Post

Did the wiki article say that Monsanto is responsible for almost all vegetable production? Did they say where they found that bit of info? I wasn't under the impression that was the case, but that certainly warrants further reading.



You raise another good point too - I was under the impression that in other countries, such in the UK, it's much easier to tell where your food comes from. It's labeled as to what farm it was produced, etc. In the US if you ask one of us where our food comes from, we probably would just tell you that it came from <insert name of grocery store here>. Can anyone back me up here?



Yes in the UK (and I think all of the EU), food must be labelled as such if it contains GM ingredients or not so consumers can decide if they want to use it or not themselves. The fact is, anything lablled 'GM' pretty much stays on the shelf so shops stop carrying them.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a few years ago one of hte US states wanted to pass a similar law whereby GM foods are labelled as such. But the GM people and US gov't stepped in and said 'no' as it would be unfair for GM foods to be marked as such because people wouldn't buy them.



The fact is something like 30% or more of all foods americans eat are GM without them even knowing it.

sleepydvdr 04-30-2009 04:53 AM

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.


greensgood 04-30-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a few years ago one of hte US states wanted to pass a similar law whereby GM foods are labelled as such. But the GM people and US gov't stepped in and said 'no' as it would be unfair for GM foods to be marked as such because people wouldn't buy them.



The fact is something like 30% or more of all foods americans eat are GM without them even knowing it.



i would estimate that percentage to be much higher than 30%...there are NO organic choices in most of the markets in my community and the organics that are available are expensive and old looking



here is a link about trying to get gm foods labeled in the US: http://www.thecampaign.org/



as for monsanto, YES they are evil.

round-up ready plants are so wrong and just cause more toxic chemical use, there are no benefits to these plants other than to create more profits for monsanto...weeds are easily pulled by hand or prevented in other natural ways.

rainforests cut down to grow crops to feed animals meant for food is not helping to meet the demand of our growing population as monsanto claims to be doing, if this was their goal they would not waste the crops on feeding food animals and actually feed hungry people...but they don't and destroy rainforests for no reason. especially sucks b.c. soy is grown as a crop for feeding food animals and these animals would never eat soy naturally, it has been shown to cause detriment to the bovine digestive tract.

the seeds they sell are not easy to grow, they need special soil compounds and actually do a little better when chemicals are used AND it has been shown that these crops do not yield as much as growing non gm crops.

the list goes on...

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm

...cokaru... 04-30-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgood View Post

i would estimate that percentage to be much higher than 30%...there are NO organic choices in most of the markets in my community and the organics that are available are expensive and old looking



That sucks!



It does seem like there are more organic options where I live then there used to be. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's has a lot, and I noticed other regular grocery stores like Schnucks and Dierbergs have more and more. I tend not to buy organic that often though because it's so much more expensive. :/

ponyboy85 03-09-2014 02:01 PM

Old thread I know.

Anyone shed any light on Monsanto in 2014? I know literally nothing about them?

SkepticalVegan 05-27-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponyboy85 (Post 3283713)
Old thread I know.

Anyone shed any light on Monsanto in 2014? I know literally nothing about them?

The Pythagorean Crank has something to say about Monsanto in 2014 http://pythagoreancrank.com/?p=3232

Purp 05-27-2014 10:51 PM

Monsanto is basically trying to play God (or Allah, or Yehway, or whomever you choose to worship) with the food supply...Not a good thing at all. :down:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.