Authentic Mexican rice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone have a really authentic mexican rice recipe without lard, ewww...

I love the mexican rice at the local place, but it too far from my house...

It's so inexpensive too, but I need to make my own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1 cup of long grain rice

2 1/2 cups cold water

2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. garlic salt or 1 tsp. garlic powder

3/4 cup of tomato sauce

In a skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add water and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 AM

I've used this one in the past:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Mexican-Rice-117892

Just use veg stock instead of chicken and its all good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Banned

I do a lazy mans's Mexican rice by simply putting a cup of rice into a sauce pan and adding 3/4 cup of salsa from a jar and a 3/4 cup of water, bring to a boil, lower heat, put on a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes. Done. Not authentic at all but super easy.
#5 Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

ooh, thanks all! I likes me rice and beans, gonna try to make fresh tortillas
#6 Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM

MrFalafel, as usual, you are a genius. One question, if I may impose, do you use brown rice? I thought, perhaps not, since you said you simmered 20 minutes. I wonder if it could be made with brown rice by simply increasing the liquid by 1/2 cup? Thanks so much
#7 Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

I don't really cook with brown rice much so I couldn't say for sure but adding that extra 1/2 cup and cooking for an additional 20 minutes would be my guess.
#8 Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Funny this topic should come up, I just cooked myself some Spanish rice tonight. Although, tbh I sometimes can't tell the difference between Spanish and Mexican rice.

I cooked up some garlic, onion, jalapenos, and browned rice in a skillet. Then I added it to a pot and cooked it in vegetable broth. I also added in some tomatoes, green chilis, and red pepper flakes to make it extra spicy. After the rice is cooked I add lime juice and cilantro on top. Delicious!
#9 Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Yummy...Thanx for sharing all the recipes...much appreciated
#10 Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1 cup of long grain rice

2 1/2 cups cold water

2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. garlic salt or 1 tsp. garlic powder

3/4 cup of tomato sauce

In a skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until lightly browned. Add water and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.

Thanks Envy for sharing this recipe, it sounds super quick & delish!
#11 Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

What everyone is missing is the use of Annato seed or Saffron flower in order to achieve the desired color of Mexican rice. It's not authentic unless you use one of these ingredients.
#12 Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Tumeric is cheaper and can also give that lovely yellow color you may want.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemeggie View Post

After the rice is cooked I add lime juice and cilantro on top. Delicious!

good to mention, very important step there.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#14 Old 04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Tumeric is cheaper and can also give that lovely yellow color you may want.

Is tumeric cheaper than annato seed? I could get annato from Whole Foods for super cheap and annato is more "authentic" since it is actually native to Mexico where as tumeric and saffron are not. There is however no real substitute for saffron as far as I am concerned.
#15 Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I do a lazy mans's Mexican rice by simply putting a cup of rice into a sauce pan and adding 3/4 cup of salsa from a jar and a 3/4 cup of water, bring to a boil, lower heat, put on a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes. Done. Not authentic at all but super easy.

Sounds good and never thought of that. I usually just use canned tomatoes of some sort, but never thought about salsa, which would make easy sense.
#16 Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

This one looks good...

Mexican Rice

1 tablespoon oil

1 1/2 cups long grain rice

3 1/2 cups water

1 tablespoon cumin seed

6 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 can tomatoes

4 teaspoons vegetable bouillon

Drain and chop the tomatoes reserving the liquid. Add enough water to equal 3 1/2 cups of liquid total. Dissolve the bouillon in the liquid.

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the rice and sauté until it puffs up and turns a light golden color. Add the cumin, garlic, and onion. Fry for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and fry until any remaining liquid has evaporated stirring constantly. Add the liquid and stir to mix the rice.

Lower the heat and simmer the rice until the liquid level is just below the surface of the rice and holes begin to form in the rice (about 10 - 15 minutes). Cover the pan and continue cooking on very low heat until all the liquid is absorbed (approximately another 15 minutes).
#17 Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post

Is tumeric cheaper than annato seed? I could get annato from Whole Foods for super cheap and annato is more "authentic" since it is actually native to Mexico where as tumeric and saffron are not. There is however no real substitute for saffron as far as I am concerned.

*shrugs* Tumeric is cheaper where I shop, but that may vary by region. People should do their own price comparisons and buy accordingly.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#18 Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I love rice and salsa together.....add some black beans and corn and some cheese, and it's a great dinner!

BTW- instant brown rice in the box that cooks in 10 minutes is as nutritionally sound as long cooking brown rice. It's just been parboiled first then dehydrated. That info came off of www.healthcastle.com.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page