new tofu based sandwiches at Jimmy Johns? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

There IS a need for very good tasting, superior quality tofu based sandwiches in the market place! I think it's awesome you've made efforts in that direction!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM

That would be most awesome! There are Jimmy John's all over the place here and before I went veg I used to love the roast beef sandwich. In fact, it's one of the few meat products I've actually craved since going veg. But I just can't get excited about a cheese-based product, which is all that is available for veggies otherwise. So a tofu or tempeh based product would definitely get my attention.

One other suggestion...if you made a sandwich based more on avocado (other than just the very thin layer between the cheese) I would also go for that. Or something mushroom based might be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 PM

I've actually never been to a Jimmy Johns, but would definitely go if something like this was offered. When I want a sub, I just go to the place around the corner and get a veggie sub, but I'd go out of my way for something better.
#5 Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love it-- there's a JJ's in my hometown though there isn't one where I am (yet?)
#6 Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

That would be awesome as well as some clarity on if your bread is actually Vegan or not.
#7 Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

That would be awesome as well as some clarity on if your bread is actually Vegan or not.

I'd love to know this as well because I really do like the bread. The 'unwich' is very cute though
#8 Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of Jimmy John's.... Is it a Subway-type place?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 04-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never heard of Jimmy John's, and don't know know where the nearest one to me is. I do agree that tofu sandwiches are much needed on the market, and would be nice if I am ever near a JJ's.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#10 Old 04-14-2009, 01:40 PM

I've never been to a Jimmy Johns but would definitely stop by to try those flavors, if they're made vegan. I have one right outside of my apartment, so this would be most convenient.
#11 Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM

keep the feedback coming, I appreciate it very very much. Jimmy
#12 Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I've never heard of Jimmy John's.... Is it a Subway-type place?

Similar but much better quality.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 PM

it is not a subway place it is a 1000 unit gourmet sandwich chain
#14 Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Jimmy: Your next task is to open a location here in Albuquerque, so I can have lunch at your place and rant and rave about your restaurant to my local vegetarian group and online community. I guess my only question here is, can the sandwiches be made completely vegan? If so, are you imparting this knowledge to your staff so they can help customers with such dietary concerns? Thanks for putting some vegetarian sandwiches on your menu, Jimmy -- especially ones you feel are worth bragging about. That means a lot.
#15 Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Need on in Oregon too! The nearest one to me is Seattle (that I'm aware of). :'(

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#16 Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Albuquerqe is on hold, Oregon is being considered now for development, thanks
#17 Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Ankle Biter

I just saw that one is opening (or has recently opened) in Richmond, Virginia. So are there vegan options?!? That would be fabulous, and I would definitely be a patron!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#18 Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Ankle Biter

I just went to your website - and I love the customizable nutrition information.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#19 Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM

OMG if Jimmy Johns would make a tofu and avocado based, 100% vegan sandwich, I would shout it from the rooftops and make sure that I ate there whenever I was in Lansing or Detroit!

I mean, the thought of being able to get an actual vegan sandwich containing some sort of protein (tofu, tempeh, seitan, whatever!) at a large sandwich chain where the subs actually taste GOOD, (I used to eat them before I went vegan,) is a hope beyond hope!!!

*please don't be a hoax please don't be a hoax please don't be a hoax, and please do a vegan sub please do a vegan sub please do a vegan sub!*

Thank you for taking our input!!!!
#20 Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a JJ in walking distance from my place and I've never bothered to walk in assuming there's nothing there for me. I'm pretty certain that if you provided a vegan tofu or tempeh based sub I would probably go broke really fast. And it would give you guys such an edge to be one of the only chain restaurants providing quality options for vegans and vegetarians!
#21 Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to work within walking distance of one of your restaurants. Although my coworkers would go there for lunch I always opted not to go because I didn't want just a veggie sub but if there were a tofu/soy option I would've gone all the time. I think its great that you want to offer that option!! Hummus would also lure me there!
#22 Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the veggie sandwich (cucumber, avocado, sprouts, etc. - YUM!) but a tofu-turkey type sandwich would definitely be welcome. I would absolutely give it a try.
#23 Old 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Jimmy,

If you don't already know about Vegenaise, you should see if you can get a suppliable rate on it -- especially the grapeseed oil variety. Taste it. To me it tastes a lot like Hellman's real mayonaise and it's vegan. You could supply it as an option or even try just replacing your regular mayonaise with it. I doubt anyone would complain, and you might even get some compliments.
#24 Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Jimmy,

If you don't already know about Vegenaise, you should see if you can get a suppliable rate on it -- especially the grapeseed oil variety. Taste it. To me it tastes a lot like Hellman's real mayonaise and it's vegan. You could supply it as an option or even try just replacing your regular mayonaise with it. I doubt anyone would complain, and you might even get some compliments.

Or if you don't find that to be cost effective, maybe you could learn to make your own vegan mayonnaise in-store. Here's one simple recipe:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/08...egan-mayo.html

You could do all sorts of fun things with that, too, adding in yummy spices... :3
#25 Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjohn View Post

I am searching for input and feedback from the vegetarian community. I am the founder of Jimmy Johns and I have been researching tofu based turkey flavored products as well as smokey flavored tempeh. I have come up with some spectacular new sandwiches based on these products. Im curious to know if you would feel there is a need for very good tasting , superior quality tofu based sandwiches in the market place. Any and all feedback is appreciated. thank you, Jimmy John

Yes, please!!!
#26 Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Beginner

I used to eat at Jimmy John's all the time before going veg and still get the veggie sub occasionally (sans cheese and mayo). Please, please, please offer a tofu/tempeh based sub. That would be awesome! My husband and I would probably double or triple our JJ's trips if there was a protein-based vegan sub option.
#27 Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be amazing if you offered a vegan sandwich with a protein source like tofu or tempeh!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#28 Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If there were a tofu and avocado sandwich at Jimmy John's, that would be one more reason for me to move back to my hometown. I've been wanting to go back, anyway, and there aren't any JJs in the county where I live now.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#29 Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow yes that would be so great! I just had Jimmy John's the other night. Another veg sandwich option would be awesome!! And I agree with the others about having more avocado on the sandwiches.
#30 Old 04-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd definitely be interested. It would be so nice to grab a quick lunch while out that actually had protein. One can only eat so many Taco Bell bean burritos.

I love the JJ veggie sandwich minus cheese and mayo but I'd love it even more with tofu or tempeh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page