Mortar Pestle - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I really want to make this garlic paste i posted about in another thread. A recipe i found says a head of garlic and half cup of oil. IT says you need an industrial type blender, but even with my vitamix it doesn't emulsify to the white mayonaise-y type sauce it is supposed to come to. The failure of my blender makes me wonder if it might be better by hand in a with a mortar pestle.

I have a marble/stone one and was wondering how much flavor would be imparted from fresh garlic and olive oil. Will the flavors seep through or will it 'wipe clean'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Banned

marble shouldn't absorb odours- its not supposed to. i have a stainless steel pestle and mortar, and it doesn't hold smells.
#3 Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

my only concern is i got a few drops of oil in there one time, and it seems to have conditioned the stone. Doesn't seem to have any flavor, but it is noticeable that there was oil on it. Ijust couldn't guess as to how deep it goes. I'll just have to bite the bullet and find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Like Jen was saying, marble shouldn't absorb any odors at all. And I have a chef looking over my shoulder saying, it shouldn't. It's stone!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#5 Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

my only concern is i got a few drops of oil in there one time, and it seems to have conditioned the stone. Doesn't seem to have any flavor, but it is noticeable that there was oil on it. Ijust couldn't guess as to how deep it goes. I'll just have to bite the bullet and find out.

It depends on the acid content of the food. Acids can etch and penetrate marble.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#6 Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Like Jen was saying, marble shouldn't absorb any odors at all. And I have a chef looking over my shoulder saying, it shouldn't. It's stone!

Well if stone can absorb oil, one would assume it could absorb flavors from said oil as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

It depends on the acid content of the food. Acids can etch and penetrate marble.

for this to take effect the highly acidic food would have to be in contact for longer than a minute or so huh? Garlic and oil should not likely cause this reaction though.
#7 Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned

even if the oil penetrates the stone, i bet it'd not leach back out and garlicify everything else that ever went in there. maybe if you're concerned you could just rub a whole bunch of a very neutral oil into the stone, and let it get sucked in, a day or two before you start with the garlic recipe, so that its saturated and no more could get sucked in when you do the garlicy thing?
#8 Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

even if the oil penetrates the stone, i bet it'd not leach back out and garlicify everything else that ever went in there. maybe if you're concerned you could just rub a whole bunch of a very neutral oil into the stone, and let it get sucked in, a day or two before you start with the garlic recipe, so that its saturated and no more could get sucked in when you do the garlicy thing?

I've already decided just to do it the next time I think I might need to use it. But 'seasoning' it could be a very good idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page