Potatoes sticking to cast iron - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a lot of le crueset dishes for christmas, and have slowly handed off the dishes I like less. Recently I got rid of a non-stick skillet cause a friend needed to use one. Now I've only got stainless steel skillets, and two le crueset 10" fry pan, as they call them.

When I sauté hash browns they stick to the steel and the cast-iron. I know its cause of the starch, but what can I do to make them less sticky? The way it goes now I have to stop cooking before they get to my desired crispness cause the sticky stuff starts to burn. I'd much prefer to not go back to traditional non-stick, but I'd also like to be able to cook crispy potatoes.

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Parboiling them then plunging them in ice cold water before frying with LOT of oil (I use coconut and can use less that way) helps.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I was hoping you would answer, cause you use the same frozen potatoes that I do. What do you use to make hashbrowns out of those, non-stick?

When you say LOT of oil, you're talking about half inch in the pan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

I was hoping you would answer, cause you use the same frozen potatoes that I do. What do you use to make hashbrowns out of those, non-stick?

I don't. I just accept that I won't get truly, uniformly crispy hash browns. I make homefries or sliced breakfast potatoes when I want crispy ones and try not to stir them too much, adjusting the heat as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoTheTyrant View Post

When you say LOT of oil, you're talking about half inch in the pan?

No, I could never bring myself to use that much oil in a frying pan on a regular basis, even though that's what it takes to make things tastier.

When using extra virgin coconut oil, I use about 1/4 a cup in a 10" frying pan.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Definately alot of oil. Potatoes will suck it up like nuthin'.

OH & don't forget, whatever you do, try not to overfill your skillet.

They will 'steam' moreso than 'fry' if you do.

I don't bother with parboiling, but in order to get them brown & crispy you have to leave them on med.-high heat for about the first 15 minutes of cook time.

Make sure that you don't flip them too often or you'll end up with a gooey sticky, gummy mess.

Just kinda slip your spatula under the edge and you will be able to see if they are ready to flip.

Then cook the other 'side' the same amount of time.

One brown & crispy, then turn your heat down to about med.-low to finish cooking all the way through.

I've always found if you use the prebagged ones they work much better and I'm sure it's because they have already gone through a precooked stage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page