Green smoothies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I'm going to try to incorporate green smoothies into my diet, and all the recipes I've found include bananas. I absolutely HATE bananas, and refuse to eat them. If I follow the recipe and omit the banana, will it still taste good?

Also, how much green to put in the smoothie before it takes the taste of the green I put in there?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, you can absolutely make them without the banana. Experiment with different combinations until you find what you like best. I really like fresh pineapple in mine, it makes it tangy.

I would just start by throwing a couple leaves in (if you're using a large leaf like kale or chard) or a couple handfuls (of a small leaf like spinach). Then once you get used to it you can add more. The best thing to do is just play around with the amounts until you find one that works for you.

Green smoothies are so good, you'll love them!
#3 Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I will never understand green smoothies. They taste nasty. I've tried every combination people can come up with. I much prefer to eat my greens the old-fashioned way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Administrator

If you use juice as your base vs. water the green smoothies will taste a LOT better. I usually use OJ or a OJ / grape juice mix.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

What about soy milk? Does that make it worse or better?

#6 Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm, i love green smoothies. I usually make mine with 1/2 serving of vega, lots of yummy fruit, kale & spinach
#7 Old 03-24-2009, 12:06 PM

I use the banana to thicken mine. Without it, it will be more liquidy.

I never taste the green part of my smoothies unless I don't blend it well enough. I put all my other ingredients in and then fill the blender the rest of the way up with greens (usually spinach).
#8 Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I put a handful of spinach in mine, half an avocado and lots of strawberries (because that's all I have on me right now in the way of fruit). It's good! Sometimes it tastes like avocado (which is good, I like avocado) and sometimes it tastes like strawberries.

#9 Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I think the banana is just used for texture not really for taste. I use bananas and water in mine. Also, I add a BUNCH of stuff so mine would probably taste worse than the ones others make but I like them (probably because I got used to them). Mine look kinda like puke though but they're great!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#10 Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I will never understand green smoothies. They taste nasty. I've tried every combination people can come up with. I much prefer to eat my greens the old-fashioned way.

Soooo agree with ya....My Fiancee the Omni...he loves them...LOL...me not sooo much and I dont know why except that they taste wierd to me...and I have tried every combo people have suggested with no good result.

Have a Hippie Day
#11 Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you gotta use juice if you're putting greens in. I never taste spinach when I put it in a smoothie.
#12 Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought the purpose was to get more less-tasty and "bitter" greens like kale into your system... what's the point of spinach - isn't spinach pretty low on the anti-oxidant-whatever-list? I mean, it's good for you, but not in the same capacity that kale and such are, right?
#13 Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if that's directed towards me or everybody, but it's just what I have on me at the moment.

#14 Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I hardly ever buy kale because it's not common around here. Usually pretty hard to find. I like putting spinach in though, for the iron and calcium. And since I use juice for green smoothies there's vitamin c for the iron.
#15 Old 03-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I was just curious in general. Since spinich has so much less of the antioxidants than kale, etc., it didn't seem worth it. But it's certainly good for you, so not a bad thing either...
#16 Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I wish stores would stock kale more often. But I usually have spinach on hand anyways cause I love it!
#17 Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

No, I was just curious in general. Since spinich has so much less of the antioxidants than kale, etc., it didn't seem worth it. But it's certainly good for you, so not a bad thing either...

It's not just the antioxidants because those are mainly found in the fruit. It's the other things like lutein and zeaxanthin, iron, calcium...etc. Yes, other vegetables have them too but in different amounts and there are things in spinach that some other vegetables have and vice versa. That's why it's a good idea to mix it up and not just use spinach every time.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page