Lentils Lentils Lentils... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey!

Just wondered if any of you have any cool recipes using lentils. I have a bag of them lying around in the cupboard but never get round to using them as I never really know what to do with them.

I've added them to stews and soups before. I've also done a rather tasty "shepards pie" using them too, mmm... any other ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I like lentil moussaka. cooked lentils, fried onions, any other veg you want, mix with ragu sauce in a casserole dish, add sliced fried aubergine to cover the top, and vegan (or not) cheese sauce, and bake. yummy
#3 Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Sounds goooood!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I make them into lentil meatballs (there's a recipe in my VB blog) sometimes. Last night I made a nice gravy with homemade vegetable broth, tamari, nutritional yeast, unchicken broth concentrate, and poultry seasoning and added about 3 cups of cooked lentils and served it over spelt biscuits with a side of broccoli. It was really yummy!! The lentils were very soft and you didn't even notice you were eating them, really, but they added protein and sort of justified the fact that I wanted biscuits for dinner

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Banned

What kind of lentils? Red lentils are the most common. Or do you have yellow or green or ...?

Different lentils call for different recipes.
#6 Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

snobby joe's from ppk

i make these almost weekly:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...?RecipeID=2059

this site also has some other yummy lentil recipes, just search under main ingredient "lentils"
#7 Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Snobby Joes are great!

Lentils make a great taco filling also. Then there's Lentil salad. Toss cooked lentils with chopped bell pepper, scallions or sweet onion, tomatoes, carrots, and some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
#8 Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Mr Falafel, I only have green lentils in my cupboard at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I make them into lentil meatballs (there's a recipe in my VB blog) sometimes. Last night I made a nice gravy with homemade vegetable broth, tamari, nutritional yeast, unchicken broth concentrate, and poultry seasoning and added about 3 cups of cooked lentils and served it over spelt biscuits with a side of broccoli. It was really yummy!! The lentils were very soft and you didn't even notice you were eating them, really, but they added protein and sort of justified the fact that I wanted biscuits for dinner

thats awesome! Any excuse to have biscuits for Dinner, I'm there!! =)

All your suggestions sound amazing. It would appear that I'm a bit behind in the world of lentils. Better get cooking!

Thanks guys! You're the best =)
#9 Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

awesome spicy lentil soup and lentil loaf.
#10 Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I think lentil pilaf or lentil burgers sound good, but I haven't tried making them.
#11 Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Banned

Green Lentil Chilli Burgers with Creamy Dill Sauce

1 onion, chopped

1 tsp olive oil

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped or chilli powder to taste

1 tbsp ground coriander

oil for shallow frying

425g / 15oz can green lentils or 100g/ 1/2 cup dried green lentils cooked as per package instructions

6-8 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro)

50g / 1 cup soft fresh breadcrumbs

salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the coating

3 tbsp arrowroot

about 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs

for the sauce

2 tsp Dijon mustard

250ml / 1 cup soya cream

1 tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tbsp chopped fresh dill

salt and freshly ground pepper

Fry the onion in the oil with the lid on the pan for about 5 minutes until it is beginning to soften.

Add the garlic chilli and ground coriander cover and fry for a further 2-3 minutes then remove from the heat.

Put the lentils into a food processor with the onion and spice mixture and the fresh coriander (cilantro). Process until it forms a thick puree. Alternatively, mash the lentils an onion mixture thoroughly with a potato masher until it holds together, chopping the coriander and adding it at the end.

Put the puree into a bowl and stir in enough of the soft breadcrumbs to make the mixture hold together but not so much that it becomes stiff. Leave on one side for 5-10 minutes for the breadcrumbs to swell, then add a few more if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.

Dived the mixture into 8-9 equal portions, form into balls or burger shapes. Mix the arrowroot with 3 tbsp of cold water. Dip the burgers first into the arrowroot mixture then into the dried breadcrumbs, making sure the are well coated.

Shallow fry them until they are crisp, brown and heated right through to the

centre. Drain well on kitchen paper.

For the sauce, put the mustard in a bowl, then gradually add the soya cream, stirring all the time.

Add the vinegar and stir gently in one direction until the mixture has thickened.

Add the dill, season with a little salt.

Serve the burgers with the sauce on the side.
#12 Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Banned

Lentil and Mustard Pottage

1 large leek

1 carrot

1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, sliced

2 tsp dry english mustard

2 tsp dijon mustard

225g/8oz green lentils

860ml / 1 1/2 pints vegetable stock

1 bay leaf

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Trim the leek, cut in half lengthways, wash thoroughly and slice. Peel and chop the carrot. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry over a low heat until soft. Add the leek and carrot and fry gently for about 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the mustards and cook 1 further minute.

Add the lentils, stock and bay leaf to the pan and season with pepper. Simmer for about 45 minutes until the lentils are tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened. Season to taste with salt.
#13 Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

Nadan Parippu

200g/7oz moong dal (aka green lentils)

1 green chilli finely chopped

a few curry leaves

salt

For the spice paste:

50g/2oz fresh coconut roughly chopped

1/4 tsp cumin seeds

Method

Wash the moong dal thoroughly and set aside to drain. To make the spice paste, place the coconut and cumin seeds in a grinder with 225ml/8floz or water and process for 1 minute. Set the paste aside.

Half-fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the green chilli and some salt then the dal. Cook for 15 minutes or until the dal is very tender. Drain off any excess water, leaving the dal in the pan – you want the dal to be dry, thick and sticky, almost like mashed potato.

Add the coconut mixture to the cooked dal and stir well. Place over a low heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the curry leaves and stir until well blended.

Remove the saucepan from the heat and serve the dal straight away; do not try to reheat or serve the dal a later stage, as the curry will become too starchy and thick if left standing.
#14 Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Banned

I like this recipe author's descriptive style....

Lentil and TVP Stew

The TVP seems to only come the minced form in USA (circa late 80s

ed) but if you can get the chunks then this recipe tastes far better.

The chunks are more meaty and absorb the flavour of the stew much

better.

4 oz textured vegetable protein

2 large onions

1 litre of the sieved / strained tomatoes stuff that comes in cartons and is %100 tomatoes

4 carrots

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp basil (pesto is better, so use that if you can)

8 oz green lentils

2 oz macaroni (un-enriched)

3 pints vegetable stock

put the TVP, tomato liquid, the chopped carrots and the vegetable stock into a large saucepan and cook for half an hour with the lid on it spits red everywhere if you dont use a lid so make sure you doadd the herbs and salt and pepper (lots of them) now too. Then pour in the chopped onion after the half an hour is up. The lentils go in now as well. Then leave it to cook the lid off and lower heat for another twenty minutes. The macaroni goes in now and cooks for another fifteen minutes. This is nice with crusty bread, but seeing as good bread is impossible to get and or very expensive in American, I offer my commiserations. Its great with brown rice too, and then a little goes a long way. It IS rich, though, so dont even think you can eat it all by yourself. It is very warming, very filling and some kids like to eat it cold, tooas a sort of lentil and pasta and tomato salad type thing. Double purpose dinner = great (vique simba)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page