Xylitol! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Hey, I'm curious...how many of you use products containing xylitol? After having a bad bout with the dentist (I had a bunch of cavities and have to get a tooth pulled due to my neglect of taking care of my teeth), I started using toothpaste and mouthwash containing xylitol because it can prevent cavitied and aid in remineralization of teeth. I also chew gum sweetened with xylitol on a pretty regular basis.



If you don't know, Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is naturally found in many fruits (apples for example) that has a really similar chemical structure to regular sugar. It tricks the bacateria because they think it is sugar but then cannot break it down because it actually isn't and it kills the bacteria in your mouth. It's a good alternative to other sugar substitutes because it isn't actually sugar (like stevia), but unlike stevia it has the same sweetness as sugar so you don't have to worry about calculations and all that. What I am wondering is how many of you here use it for it's health proporties and for food? I was reading online that you can use it as a sugar substitute in almost any way. The one way you can't use it is in baked goods involving yeast because it does the same thing as it does with the bacteria. But I'm curious because I want to start using it in foods like baked goods. I've used stevia a couple of times and it didn't turn out all that well, and I'm thinking because Xylitol has the same sweetness and a better taste (in my opinion) it might work better.



What are your experiences with xylitol?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
i like xylitol. i have a xylitol nose spray which i've started using and which is doing pretty good on my dodgy sinus.



as a sugar sub, its slightly cold on the tongue, which can be a bit odd in some things, but i don't really notice it. if you eat too much at once, you'll really know about it, and so will your bathroom. it tastes way better than stevia too.



you can use it in cookies and the like, it just won't work in things like bread, cos the yeast can't use it for fuel. you don't need a whole bunch of sugar to activate yeast though.



i'd be happier with xylitol gum if i could find one that didn't also have all kinds of dodgy fake sugars in it, or beeswax and shellac type things. especially if it wasn't minty. i'd probably do better with that if i spoke japanese or was from northern europe.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#3 Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i like xylitol. i have a xylitol nose spray which i've started using and which is doing pretty good on my dodgy sinus.



as a sugar sub, its slightly cold on the tongue, which can be a bit odd in some things, but i don't really notice it. if you eat too much at once, you'll really know about it, and so will your bathroom. it tastes way better than stevia too.



you can use it in cookies and the like, it just won't work in things like bread, cos the yeast can't use it for fuel. you don't need a whole bunch of sugar to activate yeast though.



i'd be happier with xylitol gum if i could find one that didn't also have all kinds of dodgy fake sugars in it, or beeswax and shellac type things. especially if it wasn't minty. i'd probably do better with that if i spoke japanese or was from northern europe.

http://bfreshgum.com/

Vegan and only sweetened with xylitol



Also I have xylitol and use it but I have never used it in baking that is what I'm mainly wondering. I know what it itastes like and I like the taste

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

http://bfreshgum.com/

Vegan and only sweetened with xylitol



Also I have xylitol and use it but I have never used it in baking that is what I'm mainly wondering. I know what it itastes like and I like the taste



ooooh. thankies! does it suck? i wonder if they'll ship to canadia.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#5 Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

ooooh. thankies! does it suck? i wonder if they'll ship to canadia.

Nope taste just like regular gum. Even my family can't tell the difference. Only bad thing is the taste runs out really quick but I chew on it for a long time (usually a couple of hours until I have something to eat). I'm curious to try there mints as well! I have the spearmint and fruit flavored gum and like them

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#6 Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Nope taste just like regular gum. Even my family can't tell the difference. Only bad thing is the taste runs out really quick but I chew on it for a long time (usually a couple of hours until I have something to eat). I'm curious to try there mints as well! I have the spearmint and fruit flavored gum and like them



wow. brilliants! yeah, i expected the taste thing. i don't mind. i get bored of gum taste really fast anyway.



yeah, wrt cooking with xylitol- it'd be fine in cookies, bananabread and the like. yeast containing leavened breads just wouldn't rise. go careful though, cos the amount you need to make a cookie really sweet might be too much for your bottom, if you didn't sub in some applesauce or summik.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#7 Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Newbie
 
usmcmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 61
When it comes to dental care...Green Tea daily and Alfafa suppliments are what my dentist suggests (cavity prevention, healthy gums and re-mineralization)
usmcmom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off