Do you eat ice cream?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 AM

I have done research on this, as i had read that ice cream contains non-vegetarian ingredients. And i have discovered that most ice creams contain animal fat, for some reason i can't imagine. I now avoid ice cream along with the usual marshmallow and lollies that contain gelatin. I want to know: do you eat ice cream? Had you already known ice cream contained animal fat? Is this new to you, will you now stop eating it? Do you know any ice cream brands that are safe for us vegetarians? Do you know something i don't? Please post some replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 AM
Banned

Cows milk is essentially animal fat.

I eat non dairy ice cream.
#3 Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I always hated ice cream and don't eat it. Lots of people like Soy Delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently tried the Purely Decadent that's made out of coconut milk. It's really good! I also like soy ice cream, but if the soy taste bothers you, you should try the coconut kind.
#5 Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori~CL View Post

I always hated ice cream and don't eat it. Lots of people like Soy Delicious.

See now, you seemed like a nice enough girl and all, but I really think that a dislike of ice cream should be used as some sort of litmus test to weed out serial killers from society.

<<has an ex who used to call her "Garcia", as in Cherry Garcia.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I was always more of a Phish Food person. If someone made a non-dairy sub for that it would rock my world. I expect it would be kinda tough though, with the marshmallow and all...
#7 Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

See now, you seemed like a nice enough girl and all, but I really think that a dislike of ice cream should be used as some sort of litmus test to weed out serial killers from society.

Sorry. My dad was like an ice cream pusher when we was little and I ate it then. My whole family is ice cream freaks. I just say no. To me it is boring calories. Okay I will admit that cookie dough is not bad. Better.
#8 Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Soy Delicious and Rice Dream. Yums.
#9 Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I like soy delicious, but think ice cream is highly overrated and hardly ever eat it.
#10 Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat ice cream. I'm not into sweets, though.
#11 Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

What's with all the ice cream haters?
#12 Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBirds View Post

What's with all the ice cream haters?

Personal preference? It's not just ice cream for me.
#13 Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was always more of a Phish Food person. If someone made a non-dairy sub for that it would rock my world. I expect it would be kinda tough though, with the marshmallow and all...

Phish Food=YES! I don't think I've ever been much of an ice-cream person, but I could eat almost an entire container of that stuff. If a veg version were ever made, I think I'd be in trouble!
#14 Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat non-dairy ice creams (albiet not so much in the winter!!). Of course dairy ice cream contains animal fat. It's made of milk and cream.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm quite happy with regular Soy Delicious and the Purely Decadent...I was able to try the coconut milk version and it was really good, but I can't get it in my area... I could eat a gallon of dairy ice cream every day before going veggie and still want more....
#16 Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not vegan, and I eat non dairy ice cream as well as the *gasp* good old fashioned dairy kind.

Not often, but on a hot summer night, walking to get a cone of ice cream is a fun thing to do

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#17 Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat it much. I like it a lot, but I think I should be minimizing my dairy and eggs. Occasionally I'll have a few bites of what my hubby got because I"m an imperfect being.
#18 Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmVegetarian View Post

I have done research on this, as i had read that ice cream contains non-vegetarian ingredients. And i have discovered that most ice creams contain animal fat, for some reason i can't imagine. I now avoid ice cream along with the usual marshmallow and lollies that contain gelatin. I want to know: do you eat ice cream? Had you already known ice cream contained animal fat? Is this new to you, will you now stop eating it? Do you know any ice cream brands that are safe for us vegetarians? Do you know something i don't? Please post some replies!

Are you saying that ice cream contains fat that has been removed from the carcasses of dead cows (definitely not vegetarian), or that it contains fat from the secretions of live cows (which would make it vegetarian, but not vegan)?

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#19 Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I loved phish food!! If you wanted it that bad you could probably make a vegan version using:

ricemellow creme - http://www.suzannes-specialties.com/...ref=ricemellow

It has the exact texture that they use in phish food

dairy free chocolate chips

So delicious chocolate ice cream- http://www.turtlemountain.com/produc...delicious.html

This is my absolute favorite chocolate ice cream, in my opinion it tastes better than soy delicious.

Ah, I'm lost on the caramel part. I suppose you would have to make it yourself. http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=348
#20 Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually eat soy ice cream or occasionally rice milk ice cream, but I do sometimes eat "normal" (i.e. dairy-based) Breyer's vanilla.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#21 Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm failing to see how most ice creams are non-vegetarian.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#22 Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Beginner

i loooove ice cream! im vegan so i only eat vegan ice cream (i call it "nice cream") and it's so much better than the dairy stuff! health-wise and taste-wise
#23 Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the coconut milk ice creams best, but I only eat them on occasion because I prefer not to eat that much saturated fat.

I like Soy Delicious, mostly only the chocolate peanut butter because I feel like I can taste the soy too much in other flavors.

I did NOT like Rice Dream.

I like Soy Delicious mini ice cream sandwiches too. Tofutti's are okay.

I like various sorbets too--Pierre's and Whole Fruits mainly. The Ciao Bella (sp?) was too icey.

I definitely eat less ice cream now though than I used to when I was an omni. Partly because there is less variety of flavors and partly because of the cost.

Pierre's Chocolate Sorbet is surprisingly good though if you're looking to get a nondairy chocolate ice cream fix.
#24 Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

I'm failing to see how most ice creams are non-vegetarian.

some icecreams contain gelatine (also spelled gelatin) to absorb free water and help keep the ice crystals small. gelatine is made from animal bones.

the animals in question need to be dead for this process to happen- if you take out their bones when they're alive, they turn to sort of mushy blobs that can't walk about.

also, cheap icecreams may contain 'non-milk fat' which could well be beef fat. i've seen beef fat in english icecream. thats fat taken from the corpse of a dead cow.

plus anything pink or red coloured (strawberry, raspberry ripple, etc) may contain cochineal (squashed dead bugs) and anything with pieces in (marshmallows, jellybeans, candy with shellac) could be animal based.

....and vegetarians don't eat parts of dead animals.
#25 Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had tofutti cuties and they were good. I haven't tried Pure Decadent or Soy Delicious yet. I had a coupon for the Soy Delicious but the only flavor I could find was the PB one. I would've liked to try it but I've become scared of all things containing peanut butter after all the recalls. I've had Temptation vegan ice cream and liked it.

However, I did have RabidChild's homemade vegan icecream (icecream cookie sandwiches actually) and they were amazing!
#26 Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM

I make my own sorbets. So yummy and no added sugar.
#27 Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

some icecreams contain gelatine (also spelled gelatin) to absorb free water and help keep the ice crystals small. gelatine is made from animal bones.

the animals in question need to be dead for this process to happen- if you take out their bones when they're alive, they turn to sort of mushy blobs that can't walk about.

also, cheap icecreams may contain 'non-milk fat' which could well be beef fat. i've seen beef fat in english icecream. thats fat taken from the corpse of a dead cow.

plus anything pink or red coloured (strawberry, raspberry ripple, etc) may contain cochineal (squashed dead bugs) and anything with pieces in (marshmallows, jellybeans, candy with shellac) could be animal based.

....and vegetarians don't eat parts of dead animals.

Yes, I get that. I'm questioning the assertion that most ice creams are non-vegetarian because I haven't personally seen non-vegetarian ingredients in ice cream. I just double checked my favorite ben & jerry flavor and nada.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#28 Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Yes, I get that. I'm questioning the assertion that most ice creams are non-vegetarian because I haven't personally seen non-vegetarian ingredients in ice cream. I just double checked my favorite ben & jerry flavor and nada.

i don't know if it's 'most' cos i haven't done a survey and drawn little pie charts and graphs of this stuff (and don't intend to either), but if you look at cheaper brands, and other brands (not haagen daz, ben and jerrys, etc) - the ones with long lists of mysterious chemical words in the ingredients lists, you may well find different ingredients listed than just cream and sugar.
#29 Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

I've never seen non-vegetarian ice cream either. I think he's confusing "fat" from the nutrition information with actual fat from the carcass.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#30 Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The toffuti cone things are nice. Not far off a cornetto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page