Spinoff from the salad hating: Describe your perfect salad here - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Title says it all.

Not at ALL limited to green salad. Pasta, potato and whatever other kind of salad is fine for those of you who hate the green kind.

My perfect green salad has mesclun, romaine hearts, grated carrots (not mushy, not clumpy, not dried out), sliced apples, sliced sweet pears, green peppers, red peppers and big, chunky roasted garlic croutons. All dressed in a peppery balsamic vinaigrette.

Occasionally, I'll take out the pears and apples and add sliced red grapes. Yum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't think of one perfect salad. My usual is made from romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, red onions sliced paper thin, and dressed with lemon juice in which I soak a number of herbs and a clove of crushed garlic. I salt the sliced cucumbers too, and let the salt draw out the juice a bit.

Alternatively, I love this with miso dressing.

I also love spinach and grapefruit, or spinach and orange. I made a really good salad at Christmas from fennel, sliced paper thin (I have a mandoline), and blood oranges, dressed with salt, cracked black pepper, and a special olive oil infused with the essence of blood oranges.

I like to make a salad of cucumber, lettuce, and tomato, dress it with hummus thinned enough to make it pourable, and then fry up a mess of tiny falafel balls, which I toss into the salad while they are still piping hot, right out of the pan.

I was very pleasantly surprised at a fish restaurant I had to go to for my brother's birthday this month. I hate fish places especially, as they are some of the worst places to get vegan food, but I ordered a Mediterranean salad, without the feta cheese, and it was amazingly good. It had young romaine lettuce, baby beet greens, black olives, cucumber, capers, roasted red peppers, and tiny black beans, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I've also reproduced some of my Gramma's old Jello molded salad recipes with agar. My favorites are a lime flavored gel, mixed with vegan sour cream and mandarin orange segments, and a strawberry gel swirled with crushed pineapple and blobs of vegan sour cream. Very nostalgic, but not very good for you!

Cold orzo (pasta shaped like squash seeds) and green peas is another favorite. As are fruit salads of every description.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I really don't hate the concept of salad so much as I hate raw food. The only thing I will eat raw is raw spinach. I go through bags and bags of spinach I toss it everything. I don't eat fruit salads because I don't do fruit. I'm allergic to nuts so that nixes much of what could make a vegan salad filling. Mostly I just object to the idea of salad, because I like warm, fatty filling food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

OK. I am now in the process of wiping drool off the keyboard! These sound do good!

There's a restaurant near us that makes a fabulous salad from dark greens, strawberries,sugared pecans and walnuts ,mandarin orange sections,thinly sliced red onion and a raspberry dressing, and it's all vegan! It's crazy expensive so we don't get to eat it as often as we'd like.
#5 Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if I could ever pick one perfect salad. But lately I've really been into this quinoa salad with sweet potatoes, black beans and cilantro and lime juice.

For a green salad, my standby favorite is probably lettuce, bell peppers, red onion, tomato, corn, black beans, jalapeno and homemade salsa. (Even better with corn chips crumbled on top.)
#6 Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a quinoa salad with red onion, kale (I saute it with garlic first), cherry tomatoes, and a balsamic vinagrette that is awesome.

Also, I love a very simple black bean and corn salad. Basically it's beans, corn, red onion, red pepper, and olive oil and lime juice. One of my favorite things to eat.

When I just want a green salad I usually just go with mixed greens topped with nuts and olive oil and whatever acid I'm in the mood for. Very simple.
#7 Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 PM

any and every veggie I have in the house...I perfer romaine lettuce....and never onion....Italian and French Dress are my faves...
#8 Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Beginner

The only restaurant I get a salad is at Ruby Tuesday since they have a salad bar and you can make your own.

I usually start with spring mix greens and put on edamame, shredded carrots, cremini mushrooms, tiny broccoli florettes, garbonzo beans, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, thin green beans, and croutons. It's like the kitchen sink salad.

At home I make a corn, black bean, cilantro, avacado, green onion, red pepper salad with a lime juice and olive oil dressing.
#9 Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Butter lettuce, sliced strawberries, chopped tomatoes, cauliflower flowerettes, diced zucchini, olive oil and balsam vinegar dressing, orange wedges.
#10 Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I've also reproduced some of my Gramma's old Jello molded salad recipes with agar. My favorites are a lime flavored gel, mixed with vegan sour cream and mandarin orange segments, and a strawberry gel swirled with crushed pineapple and blobs of vegan sour cream. Very nostalgic, but not very good for you!

Jello molded salad didnt seem to make any sense, I actually had to do a picture search to get this!

I like any salad that has some substance (avocado, beans, quinoa, rice, nuts) and tastes interesting (i. e. no iceberg lettuce, thanks).

Unfortunately, I sometimes have to eat a rather boring romaine lettuce & tomatoes type of salad for lack of better options as a meal, so Im not too fond of this when I can avoid it. If I have a choice between a salad and a warm vegetable dish, I will pick the latter.
#11 Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

My normal salad, lovingly titled "Brandon's big-ass salad" consists of:
  • baby spinach
  • collard or mustard greens
  • kale
  • cucumber
  • baby carrots
  • red bell pepper
  • roma tomato
  • avocado chunks
  • broccoli
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • olives (normally kalamata or black but sometimes green)

Sometimes I include Morningstar Chik'n strips.

Ordinarily it's dressed with balsamic vinaigrette, black pepper, oregano ...whatever else I'm in the mood for.
#12 Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Fav #1

Spinach

Romain Lettuce

slivered almonds

Fake soy chicken

Vegan Cesar Dressing

Fav #2.

Lettuce (something dark and leafy green

Crushed up tortilla chips

Homemade Salsa

Homemade Guacc

Black beans

A Sprinkle of cheese

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#13 Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

God, do I love salad, but it's never good for me once I'm through with it.

My perfect salad: a combination of romaine hearts and baby spinach with raw cauliflower and broccoli, dried cranberries, pear slices, garlic-cheese croutons, red onions and lots of blue cheese dressing (one of the biggest obstacles to my eventual goal of a vegan diet is my undying love and obsession with really great blue cheese dressing).

I really want salad now. Too bad Whole Foods and their wonderful salad bar are half an hour away.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#14 Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Mix spring greens, spinach...walnuts/pecans (sugared are yum), strawberries, apples, onions, red peppers and lots of chunks of blue cheese or goat cheese and vinagrette.

Delicious!
#15 Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

basically most of what's already been posted.

Mixed greens

tomatoes

cucumbers

colored peppers

celery

craisins

mandarin oranges

slivered almonds

feta cheese

red onions

and a balsamic vinagrette

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#16 Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I like different kinds of salad.

Recently I've been enjoying romaine lettuce, spinach, chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber, walnuts and pickled beets.
#17 Old 02-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Beginner

Some of these ideas are SO good sounding.

Thank god I'm going grocery shopping today.
#18 Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Romaine lettuce, with maybe endive, and an assortment of other raw or cooked vegetables for color and variety... bell pepper, carrot, broccoli (yum!!), spinach. Black olives are good, and mushrooms. No more than half of the salad should be lettuce.

I like a simple, fresh-tasting dressing of olive oil with lemon or lime juice.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page