Tofu scramble! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Holy guacamole, I just tried tofu scramble for the first time. It's so utterly hyped up I was really expecting to be disappointed--but it's AMAZING, its the best thing I've eaten in weeks.

I used the Post Punk Kitchen recipe.

How about the rest of you? Do you share my love for Tofu Scramble? What's your favorite recipe? You favorite veggie add-ins?

Discuss! All things tofu scramble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Oo I like this thread!! I've never made a tofu scramble! I've never even made tofu, although I do have a frozen block in the back of my freezer...waiting for me to be brave and try to bake it...

Tell me more!!!
#3 Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

Oo I like this thread!! I've never made a tofu scramble! I've never even made tofu, although I do have a frozen block in the back of my freezer...waiting for me to be brave and try to bake it...

Tell me more!!!

SCRAMBLE IT!! I swear its impossible to mess up, its so easy.

http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/...p?RecipeID=110

Here's the recipe I used, though I didn't have mushrooms and I used lemon juice instead of lime, and I added a handful of torn spinach a couple minutes before it was finished so it got all wilty and yummy. Be sure to add the shredded carrots--it makes the texture HEAVENLY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

SCRAMBLE IT!! I swear its impossible to mess up, its so easy.

http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/...p?RecipeID=110

Here's the recipe I used, though I didn't have mushrooms and I used lemon juice instead of lime, and I added a handful of torn spinach a couple minutes before it was finished so it got all wilty and yummy. Be sure to add the shredded carrots--it makes the texture HEAVENLY.

thanx....i have never tried this and it sounds yummy!!
#5 Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

If you've never tried Black Indian Salt (Kala Namak), hunt down an Asian/Indian grocery and buy some. It has an eerily eggy taste and smell. Here's my Tofu Scramble:

http://www.ourveggiekitchen.com
#6 Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ That picture puts anything I've made to shame.

But I do love tofu scrambles. I put onions, peppers and tomatoes in mine and then mix in a little salsa at the end. Yum!
#7 Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 AM

I tried it the other day...but I'm going slowly...I did 1/2 eggs and 1/2 tofu with peppers and onions. It was really good!!!! I put some soy cheese on after. It was for dinner.

Next time I'll have to try all tofu and different veggies!
#8 Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my own. I smash up extra firm tofu in a bowl, and sea salt, garlic, and oregano. Put oil in a pan then put the "eggs" in the pan and while it's cooking I add a bunch of nutritional yeast. Then I add some turmeric to get it a yellowish color and then at the end I add some pepper.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#9 Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#10 Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I'm just lazy and don't care too much because all these scrambles look so much better than what I make!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#11 Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I guess I'm just lazy and don't care too much because all these scrambles look so much better than what I make!

me too!
#12 Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I second the Indian black salt. Very eggy. Don't use too much (maybe a teaspoon for one serving). It's easy to go overboard on the saltiness, especially if you still feel a need to throw in regular salt. One thing you should note: Indian Black Salt is pink when dry; turns dark gray when wet. The first time I bought it I was unsure I was buying the right thing because of the pink color.

Ever since I had a decked out tofu scramble at the Early Girl Eatery in Asheville, I have been making mine out with lots of veggies and less tofu (now about a 50/50 mixture). Before that, I used to just have almost all tofu. I now think it's better with more veggies. Here's the last scramble I made:

that looks so yummy!!!! When i made mine I actually said "i wish i had some mushrooms"...now I really wish i had some!

ps we have the same dishes at work!
#13 Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, these do look great! I do want to try a tofu scramble sometime, I just haven't gotten up the courage to do so yet. So far I've pretty much only used tofu if it's mixed in something.
#14 Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#15 Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM

I ate tofu scramble for dinner tonight! I make the version from the VeganDad blog, but I like sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms in mine. Oh, and a generous dollap of veganaise.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/10...bled-tofu.html
#16 Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post

If you've never tried Black Indian Salt (Kala Namak), hunt down an Asian/Indian grocery and buy some. It has an eerily eggy taste and smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I second the Indian black salt. Very eggy. Don't use too much (maybe a teaspoon for one serving).

YES!! You guys are my heros. It used to be that no one on VB ever mentioned this stuff! Thanks for getting the word out.

Black salt, nutritional yeast, lots of veggies... absolutely!!

but shredded carrots? and vegenaise? I'm a little skeptical about those...
#17 Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Jedi

Yum! That looks so good.

There used to be a spot in Ventura, CA, called City Bakery. The owner threw together the tastiest tofu scramble I have ever had. I've been fiending for it since, and it's been at least 10 years. I still dream of running across the owner and begging for the recipe from her.

My own bad cook recipe is this:

A box of Extra Firm Morni Nuru tofu (it's very different from other textures)

Braggs liquid amino acids

Green Goddess dressing

Corn

Onions

Throw the tofu in the skillet on medium and mash it

Dowse it with about 1/3 of the bottle of the Green Goddess dressing

Squirt it in about 3 circles with the Braggs

Cook for a while

Throw the diced onions in and stir frequently

About the time the onions are starting to turn sweet and the tofu is browning, throw the corn in. It just needs to cook long enough to get warm at this point.

Very suitable for the Midwest in me.
#18 Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Beginner

I love my India Black Salt and use it in my tofu scrambles all the time now. The reason it tastes eggy is that it contains sulfur. If you can't find any in your area, try using onions, asparagus, or any other plant that has some sulfur in it to approximate the flavor.

I also use vegan milk and/or margarine for a little extra creaminess.

There's a recipe in Vegan Express that uses cornmeal-crusted tofu (sort of a shake-and-fry technique) in place of eggs for Huevos Rancheros. It doesn't taste a whole lot like eggs, but it looks and tastes delicious.
#19 Old 02-20-2009, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried a tofu scramble that my boyfriend made for us to share and we hated it. I think he doused it with tumeric though-- i didn't actually watch him make it.

I have refused to make another until I find some black salt so I don't waste another box of tofu...
#20 Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Tofu scramble is certainly our favorite tofu dish around here. Though the intent has never been to emulate an egg scramble, but rather to make a nice burrito with taco sauce or salsa. My recipe has evolved over the last year. How I make mine currently is as follows

Olive oil for frying

1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed

1 small onion

1 small green bell pepper

1 cup fresh mushrooms

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried parsley

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, or frozen spinach

3 - 4 scallions (green onion), chopped

Preparing is pretty simple. I saute the onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach (only if using frozen spinach), and diced tomatoes if using. Once onions and peppers are soft, crumble in the tofu and cook about three minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce. Stir and cook another five or so minutes. Then I add my spinach if using fresh and scallions at the very end, just long enough for the spinach to wilt. IMHO those last two ingredients are best when just very slightly cooked.
#21 Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Tofu scramble is certainly our favorite tofu dish around here. Though the intent has never been to emulate an egg scramble, but rather to make a nice burrito with taco sauce or salsa. My recipe has evolved over the last year. How I make mine currently is as follows

Olive oil for frying

1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed

1 small onion

1 small green bell pepper

1 cup fresh mushrooms

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried parsley

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, or frozen spinach

3 - 4 scallions (green onion), chopped

Preparing is pretty simple. I saute the onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach (only if using frozen spinach), and diced tomatoes if using. Once onions and peppers are soft, crumble in the tofu and cook about three minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce. Stir and cook another five or so minutes. Then I add my spinach if using fresh and scallions at the very end, just long enough for the spinach to wilt. IMHO those last two ingredients are best when just very slightly cooked.

I've never tried one with fresh spinach, but that sounds really good. I know what I'm making for dinner this weekend!
#22 Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I tried a tofu scramble that my boyfriend made for us to share and we hated it. I think he doused it with tumeric though..

Turmeric tastes like DIRT!! Yes, it makes the scramble yellow, but is that really necessary?

It frustrates me that so MANY tofu scramble recipes out there call for turmeric... and so many people end up not liking the scramble - and not realizing it was because of that specific taste!! Gack.

Black salt is a delicious addition, especially if you miss that "egg" taste. I use it all the time, but I don't necessarily think it's "necessary" if you season it well with garlic, onion, even some vegetable bullion powder and nutritional yeast... tofu is bland, it takes more seasoning than you might think, to make it taste like something.
#23 Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

If the scramble has any nutritional yeast at all, it doesn't need any additional coloring anyway. I agree that turmeric is not needed.

#24 Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

SO if I go to the local Asian/Indian store, where do I find this magical black salt?
#25 Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It's called either Indian Black Salt or Kala Namak. In my store, they have ethnicities divided by aisle, and it was with the Indian food, although I still had to ask.

#26 Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandac View Post

that looks so yummy!!!! When i made mine I actually said "i wish i had some mushrooms"...now I really wish i had some!

ps we have the same dishes at work!

We have the same plates in my house. XD

There's so many different ways to make this! I'm going to have to try someone else's recipe soon.

I like the turmeric, though--the recipe I used doesn't call for much, so you can only just barely taste it.

What really makes the PPK recipe, though, is the cumin and the lemon juice. The lemon juice really brightens the flavor and drowns out any of that 'tofu-y taste' and the nice smokiness of the cumin reminds of breakfast burritos... I don't think it really tastes like eggs, but I hate eggs, so that's fine by me.
#27 Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM

for me....definitely tomatoes!
#28 Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Turmeric tastes like DIRT!! Yes, it makes the scramble yellow, but is that really necessary?

It frustrates me that so MANY tofu scramble recipes out there call for turmeric... and so many people end up not liking the scramble - and not realizing it was because of that specific taste!! Gack.

This is obviously a more expensive option, but for anyone who doesn't like the taste of tumeric and wants an egg-like appearance, you could try a thread of saffron. It's got a much nicer flavor.
#29 Old 02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I may have to try this.. If you omit some of the ingredients, does it still taste the same, or is it one you can just kind of throw together?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#30 Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page