Meat substitutes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Hi

I'm fortunate enough to have several very credible meat substitutes here in Denmark from a swedish manufacturer, hamburger, chicken nuggets, meatballs, little beef squares, but I was debating with an 'omni' friend of mine, just the usual playful 'I'd rather eat my feces than vegetarian foods' type thing and he mentioned pepperoni pizza so I was wondering is there a good vegepepperoni product somewhere? (spare me recipes because I'm not going to make it myself. I'm a guy and life is too short for gay stuff like that

I figure since pepperoni is largely fake already it should be possible to make a credible vegeversion.

anyone know?

and just for the principle, if anyone has made it themselves has it been credible? maybe even good enough to fool omnis. as I see it, that's when the revolution can really start, if it's as good or better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I am very fond of Yves veggie pepperoni. The only thing that would improve it is if they'd make it fattier -- I miss the greasiness of real pepperoni.

I made some myself and it was slightly better than Yves pepperoni, but not enough so to motivate me to make it regularly.
#3 Old 01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Frederiksen View Post

I'm a guy and life is too short for gay stuff like that

I'm a guy too. I enjoy making my own foods. Furthermore, the use of the word "gay" in the pejorative is exceptionally ignorant and distasteful, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM

thanks. they don't list a pepperoni product as such on their website. do you mean the salami product or their pepperoni pizza product?

I've also noticed that the sideeffect of conscienscious vegetarianism is low fat content. I would sort of disagree with that approach. if you try to replicate, do it right. or offer both a copy and a low fat version. I was never a big bacon fan but non fat bacon seems oxymoronic.
#5 Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM

Martino, I have an edgy style of humor and I was aware when writing it that some pious people might get offended. and even though it was a joke, homosexuality is a negative and I could tell you calmly and extremely well informed why that is truly the case and not ignorant xenophobia. But while spirituality is of the utmost importance it doesn't seem right to hijack the topic here. if you would like to know you can write me and I'll tell you.
#6 Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

if you can get these (they're german, but i've seen them in the UK, so maybe they go to denmark too) they might* work like big pepperoni things?

http://taifun-tofu.de/en/produkte/ta...ID3=0&ProdGr=6

*please note i've never had pepperoni- so yeah, i'm guessing, but their sausages are very nice.
#7 Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thanks. they don't list a pepperoni product as such on their website. do you mean the salami product or their pepperoni pizza product?

The pizza pepperoni.

There's also Primal Stick Pepperoni http://www.primalspiritfoods.com/Stick-Pepperoni.html if you're looking for something to eat out of hand. (I like these as a high-protein snack. My minor complaints are that they're slightly too sweet for my tastes, and again they're quite lean.)
#8 Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Martino, I have an edgy style of humor and I was aware when writing it that some pious people might get offended. and even though it was a joke, homosexuality is a negative and I could tell you calmly and extremely well informed why that is truly the case and not ignorant xenophobia. But while spirituality is of the utmost importance it doesn't seem right to hijack the topic here. if you would like to know you can write me and I'll tell you.

When I was in the US, I liked Light Life brand: http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_8238.html

Hereabouts, I've enjoyed Redwood Foods Cheatin' Pepperoni:

http://www.bazaarbuilder.com/cgi-bin...merchant=cb260

FWIW, the homophobes forum is thattaway ---->

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM

I once had a sliced vegan 'pepperoni' shortly after I became vegan and it was so realistic I didn't enjoy it. It was greasy just like real meat and tasted very similar.
#10 Old 01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Yves are pretty good or if you are a real man and can take care of yourself, you can make your own!
#11 Old 01-19-2009, 03:39 PM

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

If spirituality is of the utmost importance, you should not joke about sin.
#13 Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

FWIW, the homophobes forum is thattaway ---->

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page