rice paper wraps - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Visited a nearby Asian market the other day...first time in one!! Very awesome!

But that's not the point lol. I bought lots of fun interesting stuff and realized once I got home I had accidentally thrown some rice paper in my basket while on my Asian market shopping spree and I have *no* idea what to do with it. So tell me...what can I do with these things?

And on an unrelated note I did a triple take at one point in the market. Why? Well, let's just say I wasn't prepared to walk by some packages of whole dried squid. It was just nasty looking. Do all Asian markets carry that? I have another one close to me i'd go to just to avoid looking at it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought spring rolls were made with rice paper but I could be wrong.
#3 Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM

That's what I was thinking too but I have no idea how to do it. When I wet It I could get it to stay closed and trying to roll them when they are dry they just break. I may see if there's an instructional video online or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Looks like you can use them as you would use spring roll wrappers.

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recip...aper-rolls.htm

I once did a triple take in an Asian supermarket... and went dizzy and light headed and nearly fainted. This was upon seeing a waist-high container full of live crustaceans. Moving, scrambling over each other, struggling... one had fallen on the floor and was being picked up by a customer.

So all Asian supermarkets I've visited carry such horrors.
#5 Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Banned

if the things you bought look like these: http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/...e_paper_rounds

.... they're rice spring roll wrappers. very good things. make vietnamese summer rolls with asian veggies and vermicelli noodles and tofu and a peanut dipping sauce- there are recipes online all over the place. you could just chuck a load of salad stuff in there like you would a normal salad wrap too (grated carrot, cabbage, lettuce leaf, sliced red pepper, avocado, bit of sauce, etc).

basically to soften the wraps all you need to do is get a big bowl of hot water (hot, but not so hot that you can't put a finger in it for a few seconds), and gently put a wrap into it, let it go soft for a few seconds until it looks like a giant round soggy noodle/lurking jellyfish creature, then fish it out, let the water drips come off, put it on a cutting board, put a filling in it, tuck the ends in, roll it up, and then eat it.

as an aside, you got off pretty lightly if thats all the grossness you saw. my local asian marke is like a horror movie- buckets of congealed blood and the like all over the place. very good tofu though.
#6 Old 01-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't have to fry them or anything? You just roll and eat?
#7 Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Not all Asian markets carry rice papers. Usually the Vietnamese and Chinese markets carry them. I have never seen them in Korean and Japanese supermarkets.

You'll find these in a lot of Chinese restaurants too. And no, I don't mean the American corner pseudo-Chinese takeouts. It's depressing to look at them when you're trying to enjoy your meal really.

once, we passed by a restaurant with a tank of sad looking frogs on display

#8 Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

You could fry them too. But I prefer to just roll them up and eat. In many Vietnamese restaurants, they'll give you a plate of dry rice papers, a bowl of hot water, salad greens and whatever your main dishes are and you'll just roll them up yourself at the table.

Oh man that's awesome! I had no idea....d'uh!

I see homemade spring rolls in my very near future...
#9 Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I love some of the things I can get in our local Asian market (cheap tofu!), but I can't go anywhere near the back of the store. All the live sea creatures in their tanks make me so sad.
#10 Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#11 Old 01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a good recipe for mango spring rolls in Vegan with a Vengeance. You get all your ingredients ready, get a vessel large enough to accomodate a wrapper and fill it with hot water, put the wrapper in it until it just starts to soften, move it onto a flat, dry surface (I use a cutting board), put some filling in on one side towards the center, fold up the bottom, the sides, and then roll it up into a spring roll. Once the water is all absorbed/evaporated, it will stay stuck together into a neat little roll.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page