pasta/ravioli maker - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

ok, so for christmas mom gave me a $100 giftcard to bed/bath/beyond. i dont need anything around the house, but i asked for it so i could get some new food prep items. im thinking about getting a pasta maker, along with the ravioli attachment. has anyone here ever made their own pastas/raviolis? for the two parts, it should be about $50. my sister says i can do it by hand, but i'd like to use a "template."

any thoughts? any recipes that have worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm lazy so I usually use wonton wrappers. But that sounds like a cool machine that would be a lot of fun too!
#3 Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Give peas a chance

I bought one of those years ago. I love pasta and ravioli.

I only used it half a dozen times. Nothing ever turned out okay. Mixing the dough by hand was messy, then extruding the dough was much more time intensive than I expected. You'd crank it through the rollers a couple times to get it flat, then crank it through the cutter. The ravioli attachment looks like it would save a lot of time, but you still have to spoon the filling in as you slowly turn the crank. My spaghetti and linguine would be one big blob after cooking.

I don't doubt that it could work. I just think it takes A LOT of practice with dough making and using the machine to produce anything that would be considered good.

I ended up getting a $4 ravioli cutter and have had much more success with that.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Mojo, you've convinced me not to buy it. i think i might get a dehydrator (sp?) instead.
#5 Old 01-30-2009, 12:35 PM

one really neat way to use the pasta machine is to roll polymer clay out when making jewelry out of it. i have had my pasta machine for many years. loved it a first but found it was much easier to roll out by hand. the ravioli attachment i didn't find too great. only used it once. seems like it only held a small amount of filling. it might be nice to use the pasta machine to roll the dough out real thin, then fill it and use a hand held ravioli tool to cut. i like that idea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page