soup - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I've recently discovered the art of making homemade soup vs. eating out of the can, and the results are amazing! I made my own veggie stock and used it to make split pea soup and it was so much better than anything I've bought. And the fresh veggie soups made at my local supermarket are all made with chicken or beef broth (why??) so it's great I can make my own.

What kind of soup do you make?

www.sharksavers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM

The 'bung veg in a pan and see how it turns out variety' :P

But I also like making a really simple one of tinned tomatoes, rice and sweetcorn + whatever spices you like - really cheap and tasty.

Butternut squash & sweet potato soup is nice sometimes too- if you google it you'll find loads of recipes.

Lentils soups/stews are also lovely and filling too
#3 Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never been very good at making homemade soups and unfortunately I really don't like the flavour of veggie broths so I doubt I'm going to get better anytime soon. But I would really like to because I adore soups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I like making homemade soups. I usually use a cube or two of McCormick's vegetarian 'chicken' bouillon to flavor my soups.

I like making a big pot of veggie soup with onions, garlic, celery, potatoes, turnips, carrots, rice, mixed beans and maybe a can of tomato soup or a can of tomatoes for color/flavor.

I also like making simple bean and lentil soups with onion/garlic/celery/carrot sauteed in oil then add water and bouillon and beans (white/navy/great northern and my favorites) or green lentils.

Potato kale soup is also great! Saute onion/garlic, add water and a bouillon cube and potatoes, cook until potatoes are tender. Then I blend this all up in the food processor, put it back in the pot and add some chopped kale

I have yet to make a soup I didn't like by starting with garlic/onion/celery and adding one of those McCormick's cubes.
#5 Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

i like making leek and potatoe soup

corn chowder

veggie and bean soup(potatoes, carrots, leek, celery, kidney beans, and mixed herbs)

I'm still experimenting with making soups, and hate the tin kind compared to my own
#6 Old 01-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

If you aren't already you should start making them in a slow cooker. You can throw everything in in the morning and it's done at night. Plus that way it can cook down and the flavors have plenty of time to meld.

Mandy was on a soup kick last year but hasn't made any yet this year.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Mandy was on a soup kick last year but hasn't made any yet this year.

She figures it's YOUR turn to cook!
#8 Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

She figures it's YOUR turn to cook!

Probably but she loves making soup and she's really good at it. I don't understand it, I don't question it, I just enjoy it!

And just for the record I do my part! She generally does the cooking (which she enjoys) but I do all of the cleanup. As far as I know we're both very happy with that arrangement.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ghost. View Post

The 'bung veg in a pan and see how it turns out variety' :P

This is my method too. If I have veggies that I need to use up before they perish I cook them up, usually dry-frying, then add vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 minutes.

I only recently discovered the joys of 'blended' soups though. I generally prefer soups with chunks of veggies but I blended a cauliflower soup that called for a lot of milk (I used rice milk) and it was lovely. I think I might blend all creamy soups in future.
#10 Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Beginner

I'm awful at making good-tasting vegetable stock, so I usually make soups that just call for water in combination with veggies, juice, etc... I make a peanutbutter yam soup, a black bean soup, a red lentil lemon soup, gazpacho, and I'm trying to find the ideal hot and sour soup recipe.
#11 Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I love to make soup and sometimes I use a recipe or make whatever fits my fancy.

I've been in the mood to make French Onion soup with a good peice of crusty bread for dipping.

Veggie soup is good with tomato juice or veggie broth as the base. Yep, the slow cooker is a good way to make it. Most soups freeze great too!
#12 Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

This thread has inspired me to make a pot of soup today. YUM!

And while I'm at it, I think I'll make a corn chowder too.

Thanks OP!
#13 Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Brussells Sprouts and Barley soup
#14 Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Like Tori said, plain old canned tomato JUICE (not sauce or paste) makes an awesome soup starter or base to work from. I use that as a "broth" for most of my vegetable-based soups.
#15 Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I will try the veggie juice as a base since I'm not fond of the veggie broths. Thanks for the idea.
#16 Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I make my veggie broth by simmering onion, potato, carrot, celery, parlsey, garlic and olive oil for about 45 minutes, along with some salt and pepper. It comes out great, and substantial like chicken broth. I might add some soy sauce next time and see how that comes out.

www.sharksavers.org
#17 Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Sometimes I make a quickie soup with frozen mixed veggies, some onion, some tomato sauce or juice and water and some canned vegetarian refried beans mixed in to give it body. It's basic, but good.
#18 Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzappy View Post

I'm awful at making good-tasting vegetable stock, so I usually make soups that just call for water in combination with veggies, juice, etc... I make a peanutbutter yam soup, a black bean soup, a red lentil lemon soup, gazpacho, and I'm trying to find the ideal hot and sour soup recipe.

the chicago diner cookbook has a gravy that uses a stock made from NY and spices--its great--i can pm you the recipe if youd like!
#19 Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My three favourite soups (all blended):

Some form of a squash with carrots, lentils, and a green vegetable, then spiced with cloves and ginger so it smells like Christmas!

Tomato, red lentil, fennel and onion (in equal quantities) with lots of chillies!

Broccoli and red lentil soup.

Yes, red lentils are good in soup! I like the creamy but nutty texture they give. I also like to use marmite as my soup base; does anyone else use this instead of normal stock?
#20 Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Like Tori said, plain old canned tomato JUICE (not sauce or paste) makes an awesome soup starter or base to work from. I use that as a "broth" for most of my vegetable-based soups.

Hey! I've put tomato sauce in my veggie soup before and it was good! (But I usually use tomato soup)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page