anyone here use chia seeds? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 AM

I was talking to a woman who was getting something from me on freecycle and somehow or another we started talking about health and then chai seeds. When she picked the stuff up she brought me a bunch of them. I put them in my smoothie last night (you have to soak them for 10 minutes before using them so I soaked them in orange juice) and you couldn't even taste them. Which may or may not be a good thing lol.

Anyhow but does anyone here use these, and if so what do you do with yours? I have a lot to use and am looking for other ideas. Thanks!

EDIT:

When she first mentioned them I thought she meant chia seeds. I just googled chai seeds and nothing came up so I'm pretty sure they are CHIA seeds...just to correct myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh darn, I was thinking you could grow chai now! I love chia seeds. They're a really good way to get omega-3's which are much more accessible to your body than flax seeds. Also, they taste a lot better than flax seed.
#3 Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

by chia do you mean like as in chia pets? i always wondered what type of plant chia pets really are cause they look more like sprouts of some kind than grass. we got one for christmas lol

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 AM

First, thanks to the mod who fixed my title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

by chia do you mean like as in chia pets? i always wondered what type of plant chia pets really are cause they look more like sprouts of some kind than grass. we got one for christmas lol

Yup those chia seeds! I had been reluctant to try them because then I just have visions of growing a chia garden in my stomach (I know that can't really happen but my mind wanders). I tried them by themselves, soaked, earlier. They're actually pretty good all by themselves.
#5 Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

They are quite the trendy little thing, aren't they? But so was oat bran, and it was nasTAY too. Sorry, I just don't think I could get chia seeds down, as they turn SOOOO gelatinous and look like frog eggs or something equally revolting. I have texture issues...

As a side note, make sure you drink, drink, drink...there are reports of people getting dehydrated from these seeds because of their extreme hydrophilic properties (ability to absorb so much water).

I'm sure the're good for you, but I'll get my omega-3's some other way, thanks.
#6 Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM

The texture to me when I tried them by themselves was rather icky but the actual flavor was good. I think i'll just keep soaking them and adding to my smoothie.

And thanks for the info about water, I'm going to pass that on to the woman who have them to me in case she doesn't know. But I think she mostly adds them to smoothies too so I'm sure that helps (since its liquid...ish)
#7 Old 01-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

CH-CH-CH-CHIA~

Did not know that was food...
#8 Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#9 Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I just got some of these. The health benefits look to be fabulous! Why do you have to soak them? I had just planned on using them in oatmeal/smoothies, etc.

And good to know about keeping up the hydration, thanks. (I will try not to think about frog eggs as I eat them!)
#10 Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't soak them, basically they will absorb moisture away from your body. I would think you would eventually get this moisture back during digestion, but apparently [rumor] people have dehydrated themselves by eating chia seeds dry. [/rumor]
#11 Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I take them every morning for omega-3's. I don't soak them, I just take a teaspoon of them and chase them with Monavie (an acai based drink).

You should read up on just how healthy they are. By weight, they are near the top in nutrition.

Seriously I am sooo outta the loop...never heard of them before today...I am gonna find some more info on this.

Have a Hippie Weekend
#12 Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

If you don't soak them, basically they will absorb moisture away from your body. I would think you would eventually get this moisture back during digestion, but apparently [rumor] people have dehydrated themselves by eating chia seeds dry. [/rumor]

That's interesting. According to http://greensplus.com/index.php/cPath/84_21_86 chia seeds help prevent dehydration and promote electrolyte balance...
#13 Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard they're high in calcium? I've never seen them in health stores. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough
#14 Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I heard they're high in calcium? I've never seen them in health stores. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough

Look for Salvia. That's what they're also called to avoid the cha-cha-cha-chia stigma.
#15 Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Salvia's good to ask for. Don't confuse them with the drug.
#16 Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I still think chia seeds are nasty sounding.

However, to show that I am open-minded, I am posting this recipe I ran across today (almost sounds like bubble tea, which I do like)....

Fizzy Chia Cooler Drink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page