Trader Joe's - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

What is your opinion on Trader Joe's? I was there once and it seemed interesting. Are their prices really lower than other places?

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only been there once - I was a little disappointed - I thought it would be bigger and carry more items. I don't remember the prices being that much lower than other places. I just liked that they stocked Vegan BBQ ribs - I think I bought all 10 boxes that were there. I think on the whole I much prefer Whole Foods.
#3 Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a recent thread that discussed TJ's.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...trader+joe%27s

Maybe it will help to answer some of your questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I recorded the price of items that I commonly buy at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Safeway, and found that most of the products were cheapest at Trader Joe's. So I go there more often.
#5 Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been to one-- I don't think we have one where I live. I've been meaning to look it up!
#6 Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineonyou View Post

I recorded the price of items that I commonly buy at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Safeway, and found that most of the products were cheapest at Trader Joe's. So I go there more often.

I have been there once and wasnt that impressed...I like shopping at Dominicks/Safeway with sales and with Coupons and do alot better and get alot more.

Peace Love and Happiness

Jenn
#7 Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 AM
Beginner

Trader Joe's could have some more veg*n items in my opinion, but for a specialty store, they are better than average. I do find prices quite reasonable with the Morningstar products much cheaper at Trader Joes than your traditional supermarkets.
#8 Old 12-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I Trader Joe's. When you know what to look for, it's awesome. On the thread that was linked above, I mentioned specific items that are great. (Page 2 at the bottom)
#9 Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

They are great for some items. And have the best selection around here of specialty products, like meat subs. I got some tofurky italian sausages last time I was there...I'd never seen those before! And their chickenless strips are wonderful. It's not someplace I'd do all my shopping at, but I do go occasionally to stock up on items they carry cheaper, or I can't get elsewhere.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#10 Old 12-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a fan of TJ's. It is true, some things are cheaper. It depends on the item. They do have a good selection of meat subs but I'd like to see more vegan items/staples. I think they are lacking in that department. But I try and go at least once a month. Yeah, I like the store.
#11 Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I too was hoping that the store would be larger.

It was funny, when I went home for Christmas a couple years ago my Dad was like I have this store I have to take you too. It was TJs and I was like, been there, done that. We did pick up some stuff though so that was nice.
#12 Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Never been to one.
#13 Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you remember that Trader Joe's isn't a full scale grocery store, you'll like it.
#14 Old 12-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe that was part of my problem. I thought it was going to be like a full scale grocery store. And the one by my parents is a tiny bit more like that (full grocer) as compared to the one out here by me.
#15 Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I think that's why some people don't like it. My siblings don't go because when they cook a recipe, they have to go to the regular grocery store too, they don't like making 2 stops with kids (it's a pain to take the little ones out). I keep my kitchen stocked, I usually can get by just going to TJ.
#16 Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

As long as you remember that Trader Joe's isn't a full scale grocery store, you'll like it.

I lived in Germany so I think I'm quite used to that type of grocery store. TJ caters a lot more to vegans that a typical German discount grocery store, such as Aldi, which is owned by the same umbrella company. Although the selection at TJ is also quite limited and the brands are mostly in house.

It is annoying that they don't have certain vegan staples nor do they have a good selection of baking products. But I get those things when I occasionally go to a larger grocery store. TJ is most conveniently located for me, and that plays a big part in how often I go there.
#17 Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineonyou View Post

such as Aldi, which is owned by the same umbrella company

oooo that's cool, I didn't know that

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#18 Old 12-26-2008, 06:57 PM

ive been there a few times, and i actually like the place...their prices do seem to be lower than some grocery stores that i know...and i like that they carry foods that i like to eat for less than im used to paying at other stores, plus quantities are larger.
#19 Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

TJ's is more like a specialty store. But I'll warn you, some of their food is terrible (pre packaged items). Some of it is good.
#20 Old 12-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely love the place. Unfortunately, I've been going through withdrawals for several years now, as I used to shop there all the time in Reno and San Diego, but then moved to Knoxville, Tenn., and now live just outside Spokane, Wash., and there are none within hours of either of those two places.
#21 Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

*WARNING* WARNING* WARNING*WARNING* WARNING* WARNING*WARNING* WARNING*

Don't get Trader Joe's sour cream - it contains gelatin! Don't be fooled becauase it says Kosher Gelatin on the label. Kosher Gelatin simply means that the gelatin came from cows that were slaughtered according to the laws of Kashrut. It's still from an animal and it's still gelatin and it's still verboten to vegetarians.

OTOH, Daisy brand sour cream does NOT contain gelatin, kosher or otherwise. So if you're eating dairy, it's safe to get the Daisy brand.

ETA: I also want to add that TJ's carries Tofutti brand Mintz's Blintzes. The box states that they are nondairy, but if you look at the ingredients, they do contain egg whites. So while they're nondairy, they're still not vegan.

*this space not for sale*
#22 Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEarth View Post

What is your opinion on Trader Joe's? I was there once and it seemed interesting. Are their prices really lower than other places?

Such a good question.

I love TJ's. I do think that there prices are pretty low (at least the one near me is) and the price for their frozen fruit is the cheapest that I have ever come across.

How can you eat anything with eyes? ~ Will Kellogg
#23 Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Beginner

Good prices on organic fruits and veggies, and raw almond butter. Personally, I avoid their processed foods.
#24 Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

They put milk into their store-brand hummus. How backwards of a company do you have to be to de-vegan a classically vegan food?
#25 Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist View Post

They put milk into their store-brand hummus. How backwards of a company do you have to be to de-vegan a classically vegan food?

They do!? How weird. I don't remember reading that.
#26 Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Something I LOVE about Trader Joe's... they list on the frozen food whether or not the cheese in a dish is vegetarian or not. I was so excited because I found a website post that said the Mac and Cheese from TJ was the best and vegetarian. Waited 3 months to get it... got to TJ in California and nope, Animal rennet. I picked up a lot of things, lots of animal rennet
#27 Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it because the products are pretty good quality and they're cheaper. HOWEVER, I prefer Whole Foods.
#28 Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 AM

I love Trader Joe's as I was able to find things like soy milk and meat subs for a good price, plus I love their selection of unique beers. I had 2 of them close to my house when I lived in Indianapolis, now that I have moved to Peoria, the closest one is in suburban Chicago!
#29 Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

I used to LOVE TJ, but ever since I started shopping at Henry's/Sprouts/Sun Harvest (they're all smaller scale Whole Foods), I haven't had the need to go. Their selection isn't the best and parking in that area SUCKS. It's right next to a very large shopping center with restaurants and a movie theater. I've almost been hit by other cars every time I've ever been there. The only time I would go was early in the morning before the shopping area got busy. I don't live by one anymore, the closest one is 741 miles away in New Mexico.
#30 Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I lived down the street from a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods right next to each other when I lived in Nashville and rarely got to take advantage of them because I was a high school student. So obviously I didn't buy the groceries. They're the closest to where I live now, and over an hour away.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page